letmeshot3

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
When I try to right click folders etc. Explorer crashes. Sometimes it crashes while opening folders, without right clicking. I tired ShellEx and disabled all non-Microsoft extensions but didn'work. I scanned whole PC with antivirus software it found some bug, cleaned but that didn't solve the issue. Then I tried "CHKDSK" command with cmd but no problem/error found. I don't want to factory reset the whole computer for some reasons. What can I do? Thanks. :giggle:

Solution
I have seen that reported before. Guess we just work without it.

have you checked the ssd for problems? i know you mentioned hdd.

If you reset - I wouldn't factory reset, i would just clean install. Mainly as I seen resets go too far and take windows off drive. Clean means you start from scratch with latest version of windows and no old drivers - follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
no need for low lvl format then as it wipes the drives anyway. Very rarely can a virus survive a format.

your licence is recorded on a Microsoft server, you don't have to enter it again on any PC Windows 10 has already been on. When you reach screen asking for licence, click...

Colif

Win 11 Master
does it do it in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

if it doesn't happen in safe mode, its likely a driver

I tired ShellEx and disabled all non-Microsoft extensions but didn'work.
this sounds like a clean boot so i won't suggest it

if it works okay in safe mode, we go on assumption its a driver conflict. Might be fund to figure out.
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any - this is intentional as 3rd party driver installers can make things worse.

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Reactions: letmeshot3

letmeshot3

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
does it do it in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts PC in a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

if it doesn't happen in safe mode, its likely a driver

this sounds like a clean boot so i won't suggest it

if it works okay in safe mode, we go on assumption its a driver conflict. Might be fund to figure out.
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any - this is intentional as 3rd party driver installers can make things worse.

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

I will try safe mode first then post the results. Thanks :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
if it happens still in safe mode, its not drivers.

it could be windows itself I guess since only other choice is hardware and I don't know what hardware would cause windows to crash on a right click.

its fun trying to think of ways to launch this without right click
search for task manager
open task manager
click file/run new task
type powershell and before hitting OK, click the box next to Create this task with administrative privileges
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window (note - since right click doesn't work, copy/paste doesn't either so I guess you need to type that out. The spacing is important or it will give error 50. )

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC again if it failed to fix all files the first time you ran it, and restart PC

letmeshot3

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
if it happens still in safe mode, its not drivers.

it could be windows itself I guess since only other choice is hardware and I don't know what hardware would cause windows to crash on a right click.

its fun trying to think of ways to launch this without right click
search for task manager
open task manager
click file/run new task
type powershell and before hitting OK, click the box next to Create this task with administrative privileges
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window (note - since right click doesn't work, copy/paste doesn't either so I guess you need to type that out. The spacing is important or it will give error 50. )

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC again if it failed to fix all files the first time you ran it, and restart PC
Right click and copy-paste work most of the time. Problem mostly apperars when I right click folders and sometimes for no reason. I will try what you said thanks a lot.

One more quetion, if I make clean Win10 install (I realy don't want to make a clean install and wipe things but just in case) i will completely wipe it with low level format if there was a virus-malware that antiviruses can't detect. Does low level format effect my Win10 licence?

letmeshot3

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
What storage drives do you have? Might help to run scans on the drives. Since it can happen if you just open a folder.
Samsung PM981 MZVLB256HAHQ-00000 256 GB PCI Express 3.0 x4 m.2 SSD
Western Digital WD5000LUCT-63C26Y0 - 500GB 5.4K RPM SATA AV-25 7mm 2.5" Hard Drive

Edit:
Here is the result:
[Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Path :
Online : True
ImageHealthState : Healthy
RestartNeeded : False]

And one of the Event Viewer reports:

Fault bucket 1237227462890396119, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Kullanılamıyor
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Explorer.EXE
P2: 10.0.18362.1171
P3: d942099d
P4: StackHash_0809
P5: 10.0.18362.1171
P6: 103a4719
P7: c0000374
P8: PCH_0D_FROM_ntdll+0x000000000009D244
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERD2FA.tmp.mdmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERD646.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERD667.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERD665.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERD685.tmp.txt
\\?\C:\Users\[myusername]\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD6D6.tmp.appcompat.txt
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_Explorer.EXE_132e65f76170dee947372b8e2c1e54ecf6f15b_7b8c8119_cab_2023a90e-31a5-4e50-8c7e-7c2873543faf\memory.hdmp

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Explorer.EXE_132e65f76170dee947372b8e2c1e54ecf6f15b_7b8c8119_2023a90e-31a5-4e50-8c7e-7c2873543faf

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 4303d17e-5223-4eae-a009-1e2852535737
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: ecf2acd77baf18eee12b83d287f099d7

Last edited:

letmeshot3

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
hmm, i recognise that samsung device as one that may not work with Magician. try it and see if you can run some diagnostics on it - https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/
run this on hdd - https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en&p=3

you could update win 10 since you on an older version

I tested HDD before for bad sectors there was none of them. Now I used the programs you suggested (testes each drive with it's own diagnostic tool) no errors found. I also checked the CPU with Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool it is OK. I also checked memory with mdsched.exe and it is OK too.

I will look for a solution for a while if i can't find any I will factory reset the laptop. I have some other questions it would be amazing if you explain:

-If I decide to reset the PC I will low level format all my drives because I want to remove any possible malware etc. and be sure if it happens again it is not because of software . After doing this can I use my Win10 license key again with low level formatted disk?
-After these diagnostics can I say it is a software problem and not a hardware failure?

letmeshot3

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
well, it happens in safe mode, and SFC/DISM didn't find anything wrong with windows, so I don't know if we can say its software without looking further.

can you run this? it makes a Zip file, if you can upload the zip to a file sharing website and show a link, I will see if it shows anything useful - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/
Does it contain any special info that can be a problem to share? (Don't get me wrong i just want to be careful about what I share online)

letmeshot3

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
it includes the same info that shows on your System Information screens in Win 10. If you want, upload it to google drive or something and after I dl it, you can remove it and I will delete it once I have looked at it.
I tried to run the program but Kaspersky found a trojan, weird.

Colif

Win 11 Master

If you reset - I wouldn't factory reset, i would just clean install. Mainly as I seen resets go too far and take windows off drive. Clean means you start from scratch with latest version of windows and no old drivers - follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
no need for low lvl format then as it wipes the drives anyway. Very rarely can a virus survive a format.

your licence is recorded on a Microsoft server, you don't have to enter it again on any PC Windows 10 has already been on. When you reach screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

Solution

letmeshot3

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019

your licence is recorded on a Microsoft server, you don't have to enter it again on any PC Windows 10 has already been on. When you reach screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished
As I mentioned, I tested each drive with it's software you sugested. SSD with Samsung's, HDD with WD's diagnostic tool and they are both working properly.

About license, I worry about warranty. Laptop comes with it's own modified Windows version (HP's extra softwares etc.). In some situations, installing a clean version of Win10 can avoid warranty I think. It would be better if I call customer service I guess.

Anyway I will try to reinstalling Win10, if I fix the problem I will edit as solved.

Huge thanks by the way for keeping you bussy this whole time with my bad English.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't think HP are that restrictive but its worth asking them.

Pretty sure you be okay downloading the iso from Microsoft and reinstalling as the only special part to their version is likely the licence and that should be fine.

I have helped other people with HP reinstall windows before,

letmeshot3

Prominent
Jul 8, 2019
i don't think HP are that restrictive but its worth asking them.

Pretty sure you be okay downloading the iso from Microsoft and reinstalling as the only special part to their version is likely the licence and that should be fine.

I have helped other people with HP reinstall windows before,
Unfortunately, I fixed problem by reinstalling the Windows. So I couldn't find what caused the problem. I'm going to reinstall my frequently used programs one by one and see if one of them caused this problem and I am going to post the results here. But it can take time to do that so should I mark "reinstalling Windows" as the best answer?

TRENDING THREADS