Question Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) crashing after booting Windows.

randomuser22

Commendable
Jun 15, 2020
Aight, making this in my last hope of trying to fix this **** [Moderator edit to remove profanity. Remember that this is a family friendly forum.] problem.

So, these recent days I've been using my old laptop and it was doing fine, until a few days ago.
Whenever I boot Windows 10, It goes perfectly, but after a few seconds everything goes black, now, to fix this issue I just go to Task Manager (through CTRL + Alt + Delete). However, when it goes back to the normal-like screen, I can't press Start, The "Type here to search" thingy, the Cortana button, the Task View, my Wi-Fi icon, Speaker (although I can interact with it (right click) but can't click it) and the Action Center. Basically the whole Taskbar except the Applications. Oh and when I press the MS Store it says " Explorer.exe, Class not registered" and when I go to my desktop, right click, and press "Personalize" and "Display settings" it says "ms-settings:display, This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Apps Settings page (I did no tampering with the Default Apps.

Things I've tried/done to try to fix this error:
Ran SFC it said there were corrupted files, fixed some of 'em but couldn't do the job. (I manually replaced them in CMD)
Ran DISM but to no avail
I did other stuff but I forgot :p

Thank you for reading my troublesome plea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model for your laptop?An SKU for the unit will helps us two fold. You might want to also mention the version for your OS and where you sourced the installer for the OS. You will also need to check and see what version of the BIOS you're currently on. You will also need to keep a bootable installer for Windows 10 handy since I see it as a reason to reinstall your OS, reads to me like your OS is pending updates or the OS is corrupt or your HDD(if there's no SSD) is failing.

randomuser22

Commendable
Jun 15, 2020
Sorry 'bout the late reply, some weird reason I couldn't see replies but anyways, My Laptop is an Acer 7551, my SKU is not available for some reason (msinfo32 doesn't show it (its just blank)) as for the version, It's the 10.0.19041 Build 19041, and I downloaded from Media Creation Tool by Microsoft. My BIOS Version is 6.15 (I know outdated) And I think yeah, my HDD is probably failing cause when I used the CrystalDiskInfo it said that I had a "Pending Sector Count"

Thanks for the help :)

randomuser22

Commendable
Jun 15, 2020
Hmm, I just did some tinkering with the "msconfig.exe" and for some reason the boot was set to selective, I checked it back to Normal and my explorer.exe is somewhat not crashing anymore (its like something is closing it, oh and when I am in my Task Manager, I see a process called "Windows Error Report" or something like that but it doesn't show anything, my taskbar problem still persists but I've gotten a workaround in the WE problem.