[SOLVED] Windows Explorer Issues Windows 10 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDDogg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2015
Alright I'm at my wits end regarding this issue. A couple years back, one of my HDDs died, and it wasn't a big deal. It had no important files, and honestly I was just waiting for it to die eventually anyways. However, shortly after it died my system started experiencing problems. Boot times became longer, windows explorer would constantly hang and crash entirely, especially when creating or removing a new file in any directory. I asked about it here, and someone pointed out it could be because I installed windows with that drive connected, then when it died some essential installation files could've been lost, causing the problem. This seemed like the most logical explanation.

So fast forward to 4 months ago and I built an entirely new system. New CPU, new board, new drives. Learning from my previous mistake, I installed windows with only my C: drive installed (FireCuda 520 M.2 PCIe Gen4 SSD). Then after a successful installation, I connected my other drive a SanDisk Ultra II 1TB Sata SSD.

Everything worked great for about 2 months, I regularly kept up to date with windows and everything (Windows 10 Pro 64bit). Then this same issue started happening again. No drives have died this time, everything is working perfectly. But I'm back to slow boots, and these constant windows explorer issues. When it hangs or crashes, everything from my taskbar, to the start menu just breaks completely.

I've already tried chkdsk, clearning file history, I have no antivirus aside from windows defender, etc. Literally every stupid "10 tips to help with windows explorer issues" bulls**t. I've verified with task manager that none of my performance is being eaten up by any particular software, and when it freezes up my disk usage remains pretty low.

TL : DR after trying everything and verifying that all works fine, windows explorer freezes and crashes when changing any files on any drive.

My specs BTW are:

Ryzen 9 3950X
ASRock B550M Steel Legend
Seagate FireCuda 520 M.2 1TB PCIe Gen4 (C: drive)
SanDisk Ultra II 1 TB (E: drive)
RTX 2070 Super
32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200 (2x16gb)

Solution
I finally found the issue today... if you have just one too many files on your Desktop... Windows 10 will hang on any windows explorer related task for AGES. Just clearing up the Desktop fixes the problem completely...

CDDogg

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2015
I finally found the issue today... if you have just one too many files on your Desktop... Windows 10 will hang on any windows explorer related task for AGES. Just clearing up the Desktop fixes the problem completely...

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

That is not possible I have seen people fill their screens with stuff and not have this issue. Do you have some gargantuan archive file sitting on your desktop? The big zip file or rar

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS