[SOLVED] WIndows not recognizing my overclock/XMP settings

progenitor3

Reputable
Oct 7, 2019
I have a Ryzen 1600 running on an Asrock B450M Pro4 with Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 cl15 RAM.

I was running an overclock at 3.9ghz at 1.275v with enabled XMP profile for the past two weeks. Everything was fine. Today I tried going to 1.4ghz at higher voltage but CPU-Z was still showing 3.9ghz at 1.275v every time I rebooted. I tried changing BIOS settings again and then I go back to Windows, open CPU-Z or HWINFO64 and I'm still at 3.9ghz 1.275v.

In other words, changes I made in BIOS were getting completely ignored by the system.

I figured updating the BIOS would solve the problem as I was on an old version. I did, but now all my BIOS settings are back to stock (including RAM running at 1064mhz) and changes I make in BIOS do not affect anything.

So now I'm stuck on stock settings and I can't even enable XMP for my RAM.

Any help?

Just to add, this isn't a windows issue, as I tried running RAM timing that I knew would crash my PC and cause a boot loop but it booted fine and again I was still on stock.

Also, the only thing I can think of that may have caused this problem is that yesterday I added an RGB fan and installed Asrock Polychrome and Asus Aura in order to get the RGB to work, but it didn't, so I uninstalled them both.

Solution
You most likely will need to clear CMOS. Check your mobo manual on how to do it.

Normally, you will either short two pins (or switch a jumper) and remove battery for 30+ seconds and replace. This will wipe any microcode left over from previous bios and set your system at true default bios. Once done you should be able configure everything again.
You most likely will need to clear CMOS. Check your mobo manual on how to do it.

Normally, you will either short two pins (or switch a jumper) and remove battery for 30+ seconds and replace. This will wipe any microcode left over from previous bios and set your system at true default bios. Once done you should be able configure everything again.

Solution