Windows on different computer

blacklex

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013
Hello fellow computer people and others,

Today I have a question that might just burt my bubble... not sure. But I was wondering if I could install windows 7 on my new computer. It is windows 7 home premium. However, I have installed it on about three computers so far (including virtual machines). So if any of you experts can help me out on this topic, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,
blacklex

Solution
you'll be able to install it, but Windows 7 reaches out to the Microsoft authentication servers occasionally, and when it does you'll get an error about activation, you'll be able to activate it to that machine through the phone system, but then you'll get the same error on the other machines. you're better off just getting a new copy and making sure to keep the keys straight, i have a few keys and accidentally double installed with one once, it was pretty annoying.

blacklex

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013

Then why did it work on one other PC and 2 virtual machines?

USAFRet

Titan

Because the activation server at Microsoft hasn't picked up on it yet...:)
I just did a reinstall of Windows 8 over the weekend (exact same PC except for the hard drive), and upon attempting to activate, it said right away "This is in use on another PC."
Was able to resolve via the phone activation, but it knew.

Jaxem

Honorable
you'll be able to install it, but Windows 7 reaches out to the Microsoft authentication servers occasionally, and when it does you'll get an error about activation, you'll be able to activate it to that machine through the phone system, but then you'll get the same error on the other machines. you're better off just getting a new copy and making sure to keep the keys straight, i have a few keys and accidentally double installed with one once, it was pretty annoying.

Solution

blacklex

Honorable
Apr 7, 2013

Thanks for your reply! I will probably double install it but eventually get a seperate one for myself. Probably OEM. Thanks!