Windows Start Button Gone Forever, Replaced By Tutorial

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
The original article in the Seattle Times was from yesterday. So this is not an April Fools joke... I will also be sticking with Windows 7 with this news. They should at least allow people to turn on the start button from somewhere in the settings, not get rid of it completely.

williehmmm

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Aprill fools day... Hmmm maybe, but maybe not.

The source article is dated "March 30, 2012".

"Un-intuitive & clunky", I hope they have that quote in the adverts...

Reminds of the Vista launch, "you'll need double the RAM just to keep your PC performing as it did in XP". Another great advertising slogan.

Devoteicon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012
[citation][nom]HVdynamo[/nom]The original article in the Seattle Times was from yesterday. So this is not an April Fools joke... I will also be sticking with Windows 7 with this news. They should at least allow people to turn on the start button from somewhere in the settings, not get rid of it completely.[/citation]

The more buildup the better the prank will be. The best April Fools pranks should have at least a month if not more of buildup.

AsTheDeath

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
I am seriously wondering what's happening at the top of Microsoft. Some of the decisions they make are so obviously STUPID that it makes you wonder a) who managed to come up with them and b) how the hell those changes were kept despite nothing but negative feedback.
But I guess that's win8 in a nutshell. Instead of making touch devices better, they just decide to make the desktop PC worse - that also works to bring them to the same level! This is just Microsoft seeing Apple's success and trying to replicate that in ways and places that just DO NOT WORK. I don't understand how there are so many 'common' people that have good ideas, yet Microsoft pays millions for a couple of people that clearly don't...

naveenk

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Pathetic.!! and Shocking !!! I dunno how its gonna be, but if there is no start button i m not buying or even for that matter take time to download and pirate, Windows 8.....

pre Win7 start buttons sucked.. you have to use the mouse to point at various things to get to where u want....... but WIN7 Start was awesome... just press the Start button on ur keyboard and type it partially and press enter... just a matter of 2 seconds

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]math1337[/nom]Click corner to open start menu...click "desktop" button to close menu[/citation]

yeaah.. too much corner to be clicked, makes my hand irritated

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Ever since Bill is no longer CEO MS has lost it's track...

They are still making a lot of money, but it's on a downward spiral.

We'll miss you Bill.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
This is not an April 1st thing. I have the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and no, it doesn't have a start menu and while you can switch to desktop mode, you can't really avoid the Metro thing.

Here's why Microsoft is doing this - they want to turn the PC into a kiosk device/consumer appliance that runs only preapproved apps from the Microsoft app store. That way Microsoft gets their 30% cut, they get to decide whether developers are even allowed to sell certain apps and finally they get ad revenue from ad-supported apps.
Also, since Microsoft doesn't have a prayer of gaining any significant market share in the mobile/tablet market, they're hoping that by forcing desktop users to use a mobile/touch UI, they will be inclined to choose a Windows 8 based device when they buy a mobile or a tablet.
In order to achieve this, Microsoft has to force the new UI on the users - that's why there is no start button and you can't get away from Metro, even if you only want to use desktop mode.

Microsoft's overall message is that desktop is dying, corporate customers are becoming irrelevant and they're willing to bet the company on this.

AstralWraith

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I sure as hell hope that this is an april fools joke because the new UI is going to be painful....If it's true I can see most people never daring to venture past windows 7 beyond to try it out if they can get their hands on it for free.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
RIP to Windows 8. Microsoft better ready to suffer huge disapointment and financial loss with desktop version of windows 8. It would be a total failure and not even people download and try that awful OS through rapid share, torrents or other illegal ways. People will continue using the windows 7 for a very long time just like XP.

G

Me was a bust, Vista was a bust, sound like 8 is going to be the same.

It also sounds as though Microsoft is charting a path for 8, and no matter how many people complain about the direction that path is headed, Microsoft is going there. It seems that they are going in that direction just because they can. I won't be joining them this time, though. They just migh not have much company on that path and they will only wise up when their bottom line ($$$) starts to hurt.

aoneone

May 27, 2011
Remember when 3.11 was a hit back in 1993 and when windows 95 came out with the start button people were furious because why? I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS