Windows Start Button Gone Forever, Replaced By Tutorial

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
MS windows is the most prevalent OS in the world. So, it seems like MS to do something as bold as this.

Not sure how I feel about changing something that I've relied on for about 15 years.

confish21

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
The start button is still there, just different. Right clicking isn't that hard.

I guess it comes to preference, I have both 7 and 8... both work great but I prefer 8.

I wish more people would post after they learned how to use it. I know it sucked at first, but I thinks its
more fluid than 7. I do hate the "must be online to install part", I feel like i'm being watched.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
for now i'll stick to my windows 7 and most likely upgrade whats past windows 8, same thing with windows xp, it was great and i moved to vista which was crap then made a new xp system and worked wonders, and now windows 7 which is awesome

G

I cannot see my children using a mouse and keyboard 20, 30, 100 years from now no matter how much I have gotten used to them in the last 15 years or so. But I question the force they are using to push this rudimentary first try GUI on us. Just looking at every thread it astonishes me that they are not taking feedback into consideration. I think they believe they are giving us enough of the old UI while forcing us to at least "Start" to use a non mouse friendly UI.For some reason I keep picturing computer stations on a 30 degree angle star trek style. Windows 7 will be on my system for the foreseeable future but not my children's.

G

I'm happily running XP after trying out windows 8. IMO, windows 8 will be a flop. Windows 8 feels thrown together, with its two separate interfaces. Why can't they let me choose my interface? I *hate* metro with a passion - just give me a start menu and I'll be happy!

Anyway, when security patches for windows xp end, I'm going to get a mac.

G

I don't understand what the big deal is. Instead clicking on a button, you have to click the corner where the start button used to be. And once you do that, you have a full screen start screen to work on instead of a small crammed up start popup menu.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
[citation][nom]remyj123[/nom]I really think MS is shooting themselves in the foot on this. Whereas I understand them wanting to make the interface identical across all formats of computing, pretty much everyone agrees the Metro interface is not as useful on a desktop or laptop PC as it is on a phone or a tablet. Businesses are not going to like Windows 8 on their PC workstations. If they ask me, and they haven't, I would compromise by making the desktop version of Windows 8 essentially an update of Windows 7 and then toss the Metro tiles on the desktop. If people want to use them, they can, if they want to go to the start menu or task bar and launch from there as they have in the past, they still could. Why does this have to be an all or nothing proposition?[/citation]

Unifying the interfaces is a really stupid idea. It might make it more convenient for them, but tablets are a fad. PCs are not going away. The PC market isn't growing like the tablet market because everybody already has one.

What they are doing here is they are going to take something that works really well, and make it worse for the sake of some other device that you're not using. That's not how to do it. Whoever is responsible for that choice at MS should be fired and never allowed to work in the tech industry in a decision-making capacity again.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Most users will be forced onto Windows 8 at some point as the average user does not upgrade their OS or build their own PC. They just go to their local box store and buy a new PC or order one on-line from HP or Dell.

Despite Vista being a "failure" the truth is there is still millions of PCs running it as it was just there when those users bought their PC.

Windows 8 will be called a "success" no matter how much people like it because on launch day every new PC at the store will have Windows 8 and all the Windows 7 PCs will be in the clearance bin.

Kind of hard to vote with your wallet when all your software is Windows based and the only option to the average user will be a Windows 8 PC.

Too bad stores like Best Buy and Walmart have destroyed the small computer stores because OEM versions of Windows 7 will still be available for about a year after Windows 8 launches. The small stores that still exist can still offer 7 for a while for those who can't build their own or are too scared to install Windows themselves.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
the discoverability problem will be addressed through a tutorial "to show keyboard/mouse users the new commands that they need to orient themselves with in the new OS so they are not lost when they first encounter the product
That's fine and dandy for young people, but what about old people that don't cope too good with change. I bet people would choose Vista sp2 over Win8 any day.

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
and all by about the same amount. Hmm...

Just because you may not like it doesn't mean you should ruin for everyone else.

But I'm guessing that is just how you roll.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
If Microsoft is stupid and stubborn, then I am more stubborn and guess who loses? Microsoft of course, because these idiots are not getting a penny from me.
Go to hell Microsoft, I hate your new Windows 8, and will never use this piece of junk OS.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I hope the UI is an elaborate April Fool's stunt by Steve Ballmer because Metro is really crappy especially if you aren't on a touch screen desktop PC (and I mention desktop because not everyone is bound to a laptop all the time nor a tablet).

it would be a good april fool's joke though and letting everyone know "just kidding, it will be similar to the experience you get in windows 7"

But here's my wishing. If the new UI impressed me to a great extent, I wouldn't be in Windows 7 right now. I think Windows 8 has a lot of ground breaking features but Metro is not one of them.

edit: Wow seriously? my post goes through for once without moderator approval? WOW tom's, way to go thanks.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I am reminded of the last time Windows went through a major series of changes. This was when Win 95 first hit the market and changed the face of everything. Many people rejected the changes back then that they take as a given now. My instinct was to reject Win 8 but now I have seen what it is capable of I have changed my view. The metro interface is much more configurable than the traditional start menu and the normal icon arrangement on the traditional desktop. Windows had to change to move outside of the PC. It is to difficult to get a uniform experience using Win 7 / Vista / XP when it comes to tablets and smart phones. If people want the PC to remain King then the PC must adapt. It is that simple.

cyberjawn

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I love the new setup, it's not hard to figure out. If any tech savey peeps out there can't figure out how to get around in it your in the wrong field of work. The start button is not technically there but the full screen menu is a lot better than the old start menu, you can find stuff a lot faster in the new menu. If you are at the metro screen all you have to do is right click and it will pop up all programs and you click that and use your mouse wheel to scroll sideways through your installed programs that normally show in the old start menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS