Question Windows time sync fails

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, I have this problem at home: In Windows 10, time sync fails. I searched a lot of things about it, tried a lot of things, but nothing helped. What I also noticed that, it's the same problem in my wife's computer and also in my mother's computer, so only thing that comes in my mind, it must be router messing it up and my ISP recently changed our router and before that, we didn't have this problem, so, I'm almost sure, it must be router, but the question - how to fix this problem?

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have the proper timezone selected for your systems? What source are your systems using the synch time?
Yes, timezone is proper selected both in computers and router. I tried both time.windows.com and another one, none of them work. I even added through regedit google time source. Still nothing. In router settings, this is how it's set:

Screenshot-1.png

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I have this problem at home: In Windows 10, time sync fails. I searched a lot of things about it, tried a lot of things, but nothing helped. What I also noticed that, it's the same problem in my wife's computer and also in my mother's computer, so only thing that comes in my mind, it must be router messing it up and my ISP recently changed our router and before that, we didn't have this problem, so, I'm almost sure, it must be router, but the question - how to fix this problem?
What windows versions?
Time sync is strange. IF your time is TOO FAR off, it can't sync. So if the computer says the date is 1983, then time sync won't work. You could try setting the time manually THEN try sync.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
What windows versions?
Time sync is strange. IF your time is TOO FAR off, it can't sync. So if the computer says the date is 1983, then time sync won't work. You could try setting the time manually THEN try sync.

No, it wasn't too far away. It was a few seconds ahead, but still unable to sync. None of 3 computers in the house can sync. I didn't have other choice, but to set it manually.
My windows version:

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎2020-‎06-‎12
OS build 19042.630
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

kanewolf

Titan
No, it wasn't too far away. It was a few seconds ahead, but still unable to sync. None of 3 computers in the house can sync. I didn't have other choice, but to set it manually.
My windows version:

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎2020-‎06-‎12
OS build 19042.630
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0
You could try an IP address rather than a name -- The Google time server resolves to 216.239.35.0 If you are having DNS problems, using an IP address will avoid that.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
What I am saying instead of putting "time.google.com" as the time source, you put 216.239.35.0 That way if your name resolution (DNS) is having issues it will still work. It is unlikely, but possible.
Nothing works. No matter what I put there and click save, even if it shows saved, it doesn't save. If I click reboot router and then enter again in router panel, it still shows old setting with that asc69.silknet.com. I even tried to change synchronization setting from "NTP server automatically" to "PC's Clock" and after rebooting my router, it still was on NTP server mode. I think it doesn't allow me to change anything there at all. The only thing I could do is to set up my time manually on all computers at home, but later when I check in settings after several weeks, I see that it's till on "set time automatically" mode in Windows settings and time is ahead.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Some update: I changed my battery, because some people told me it might be the battery, but it didn't help. I knew it wouldn't help, because all 3 computers have this problem in our house and they have only one common - router.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
You need to read this document. There are ways to do what you need to do so it’s time to do some research

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...service/configuring-systems-for-high-accuracy
I think this is for Windows server. I don't have Windows server. I read it. I checked Windows time service in services. It wasn't running. Set it on automatic and clicked start. It didn't help for syncing. The registry part... I couldn't do it, because it's clearly for Windows server and I can't even find this location in my registry - HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config.

I'm going to install Linux - Ubuntu on another drive and see if I will have this time sync problem there too.

Last edited: