[SOLVED] Windows Update Service on Manual - Microsoft defender still automatically updates?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
I wasn't sure if intelligence updates still automatically update if you put the windows update service to manual. It seems updates are checked for every time I start up my laptop. If I check for updates it installs the latest one.

I set it to manual because I don't want automatic updates to happen during gameplay or something important that can affect performance.

In general is this nothing to worry about and my Microsoft defender will be able to defend my system without needing automatic intelligence updates every few hours?

Solution
When I check for updates the "intelligence" update usually always will be installed, meaning my system does not automatically keep them up to date on manual.
Correct.
This is simply because your OS has not yet gotten around to doing it.

If you leave it totally alone for a week (or a month), and then check View Update History....guess what? Those Intel Updates still happened.

Put it back on Auto, and leave it alone.
At most, Pause.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. Yes, you still get security updates
  2. Actual other updates are NOT an issue. It won't "install" or reboot during active hours. Trying to manually manage Windows updates is a fast road to disaster.
You can Pause Updates for 7 days, or 35 days if you have WIN 10 Pro.
Turn the Service back to Automatic, and select Pause in Win Update settings.

Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
  1. Yes, you still get security updates
  2. Actual other updates are NOT an issue. It won't "install" or reboot during active hours. Trying to manually manage Windows updates is a fast road to disaster.
You can Pause Updates for 7 days, or 35 days if you have WIN 10 Pro.
Turn the Serve back to Automatic, and select Pause in Win Update settings.
Thanks, during the pause time intelligence updates still work? How come windows quickly installs intelligence updates on manual if they're automatic?

Do you also know if the service is delayed automatic or just automatic? I was looking at default service settings and it seems like it's meant to be on manual: Restore Default Services in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks, during the pause time intelligence updates still work? How come windows quickly installs intelligence updates on manual if they're automatic?

Do you also know if the service is delayed automatic or just automatic? I was looking at default service settings and it seems like it's meant to be on manual: Restore Default Services in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)
Yes, during the Pause it still gets Security updates.
I've tested this.

Turn it back to the default, Automatic.

In Settings, go to the Pause thing.

How come windows quickly installs intelligence updates on manual if they're automatic?
Not sure what you mean here.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Yes, during the Pause it still gets Security updates.
I've tested this.

Turn it back to the default, Automatic.

In Settings, go to the Pause thing.

Not sure what you mean here.
When I check for updates the "intelligence" update usually always will be installed, meaning my system does not automatically keep them up to date on manual. Not so worried about actual cumulative updates.

Also I believe even on manual my system does install intelligence AND regular windows updates at least once a day as I've seen them download regardless of being automatic or not. I think it's because of these two in task scheduler, one for intelligence and regular windows updates I believe?
https://prnt.sc/1tmieea

USAFRet

Titan
When I check for updates the "intelligence" update usually always will be installed, meaning my system does not automatically keep them up to date on manual.
Correct.

If you leave it totally alone for a week (or a month), and then check View Update History....guess what? Those Intel Updates still happened.

At most, Pause.

Solution

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Correct.

At most, Pause.
Sounds good, thanks.
Though can you help me identify what these two in task scheduler are? I'm assuming one is for intelligence and other for regular windows updates?
Says it "will keep your software up to date."
https://prnt.sc/1tmieea

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Poke around too much in Automatic stuff, and you end up getting lost...;)
I checked for updates just one hour after opening my laptop, and it installed another intelligence update. I'm lead to believe the "automatic" updates are not immediate and are pretty much the same as if I put the windows update service to manual.

Is there really a difference if "automatic" and "manual" do the exact same thing and just check for updates on startup?

USAFRet

Titan
I checked for updates just one hour after opening my laptop, and it installed another intelligence update. I'm lead to believe the "automatic" updates are not immediate and are pretty much the same as if I put the windows update service to manual.

Is there really a difference if "automatic" and "manual" do the exact same thing and just check for updates on startup?
You're still 'checking' much too often.

Ignore it for a week or more.
Then look into View Update History.
You'll see that it still happened.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
You're still 'checking' much too often.

Ignore it for a week or more.
Then look into View Update History.
You'll see that it still happened.
Yep, I know it will still happen but not at a faster rate than when I had the service set to manual, leading me to believe it will still automatically run these updates at the same rate regardless of how it is set.

I think that's why the default setting is manual since it still automatically updates: https://prnt.sc/1tpvik4
Restore Default Services in Windows 10 | Tutorials (tenforums.com)

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Over the next few weeks, try it both ways.
See what happens.
I can confirm windows always checks for any update on startup no matter what unless you disable it. The only likely difference is how fast windows reacts to new cumulative updates and runs during active hours, but as for intelligence updates it makes no difference for how fast it updates or when.

USAFRet

Titan
I can confirm windows always checks for any update on startup no matter what unless you disable it. The only likely difference is how fast windows reacts to new cumulative updates and runs during active hours, but as for intelligence updates it makes no difference for how fast it updates or when.
Right.
And for the almost daily Security Intelligence updates, you don't have to do anything.
It does its thing behind the scenes.