[SOLVED] Windows won't boot, and stays in info it's error loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanchico533

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
I was using my computer today when one of my monitors when blue and one went black, naturally I restarted my PC, I was then greeted by a BSOD saying that there was a problem with the srttrail.txt file and windows would not boot no matter what I did. I then reinstalled windows and was setting things up when my PC crashed and was greeted with the same BSOD. I have no idea why this is happening and need help as this is my work/gaming computer
Ryzen 5 1600
Rtx 2070
Asus Prime x370
32gb corsair vengeance
240gb 2.5 sata ssd
650w Corsair psu
I will give more information of needed

ethanchico533

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
did you do a full install of win 10? Wiped entire ssd and reinstalled?

As that is my normal answer to fix srttrail.txt so it would be odd for it to happen again.
The first fix I tried was to reset my PC and that didn't work, so then I wiped all of my drives and did a fresh install of win 10 pro

Colif

Win 11 Master
drives? more than one? normally helps to only have 1 drive in PC when installing win 10, it can otherwise put its boot partition on the other drive and that can be annoying if the other drive is removed or dies, then ssd won't boot.

it just makes me wonder if it used an old partition that had corrupted files already,

try running chkdsk c: /f in command prompt with admin rights.

if its not booting, boot off the USB and do this to get to command prompt
Boot from installer
On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter

2 paragraphs may pop up after you hit enter, agree to allow it to run at startup and restart PC

If it only has 1 ssd and you wiped all partitions off it, its possible chkdsk will help. This isn't a fun error to fix, its why I normally suggest clean install but that seems to be a loop.

ethanchico533

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
The first fix I tried was to reset my PC and that didn't work, so then I wiped all of my drives and did a fresh install of win 10 pro
Just a note- the windows install disk was one I made in 2017 so it is running an older version.also I get the srttrail.txt BSOD after using the newly installed Windows for a little bit

ethanchico533

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
drives? more than one? normally helps to only have 1 drive in PC when installing win 10, it can otherwise put its boot partition on the other drive and that can be annoying if the other drive is removed or dies, then ssd won't boot.

it just makes me wonder if it used an old partition that had corrupted files already,

try running chkdsk c: /f in command prompt with admin rights.

if its not booting, boot off the USB and do this to get to command prompt
Boot from installer
On screen after language choice, pick repair pc, not install
Pick troubleshoot
Pick advanced
Pick Command Prompt
type chkdsk c: /f and press enter

2 paragraphs may pop up after you hit enter, agree to allow it to run at startup and restart PC

If it only has 1 ssd and you wiped all partitions off it, its possible chkdsk will help. This isn't a fun error to fix, its why I normally suggest clean install but that seems to be a loop.
I have just reinstalled windows for the second time (didn't see your reply) and I am setting it up at the moment, if it doesn't work I will try your fix, I would like to thank you for helping me with this

Colif

Win 11 Master
Just a note- the windows install disk was one I made in 2017 so it is running an older version.also I get the srttrail.txt BSOD after using the newly installed Windows for a little bit

it shouldn't make any difference but using a newer installer will mean less updating after the fact. Newest installer will include all the patches prior to the version it is for. 1909 includes every update since win 10 was released.

ethanchico533

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
it shouldn't make any difference but using a newer installer will mean less updating after the fact. Newest installer will include all the patches prior to the version it is for. 1909 includes every update since win 10 was released.
Update, second installation of windows everything is working okay, computer is able to restart without problem, And is running like clockwork, again I thank you for your time.

ethanchico533

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
well, that was random but I am glad it worked the 3rd time :)
Update, my PC has done the same thing again and I received the srttrail.txt BSOD yet again, I have tried to use cmd and tried bootrec /fixboot but I says access is denied even if I use the disk tool and do efi\microsoft\boot

Colif

Win 11 Master
3 times in a row? twice is strange enough, this doesn't make any sense. I am perplexed

Have you tried to run chkdsk? I am starting to think its a physical problem as its very unusual to get the same BSOD 3 times in a row... on completely different installs

you say BSOD? I wonder if its recorded in a memory.dmp file. I assume windows isn't working now?

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
In file explorer, navigate to the root of C and see if there is a memory.dmp file here.
If there is, copy it onto USB (it shouldn't be very big on a new install)
upload it to a file sharing website and show a link here

ethanchico533

Prominent
Sep 27, 2018
3 times in a row? twice is strange enough, this doesn't make any sense. I am perplexed

Have you tried to run chkdsk? I am starting to think its a physical problem as its very unusual to get the same BSOD 3 times in a row... on completely different installs

you say BSOD? I wonder if its recorded in a memory.dmp file. I assume windows isn't working now?

boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, select file>open
In file explorer, navigate to the root of C and see if there is a memory.dmp file here.
If there is, copy it onto USB (it shouldn't be very big on a new install)
upload it to a file sharing website and show a link here
I just reinstalled because I believe that I have narrowed it down to my ssd, my ssd somehow has files from previous windows installations (kept the same background even after format of all partitions) and I believe that is why, I have purchased a new ssd that will be coming on Wednesday, if my new installation does the bsod, I will try what you recommended

Status
Not open for further replies.