Mar 11, 2019
Hi everyone.

I have an issue with the internet access on my windows 10 machine that I have been unble to solve for several days.

My computer recently got infected with a virus. I formatted my SSD with the OS on it and re-installed Windows 10 Home. Since doing this I have been unable to use the internet normally.

The internet issues include:
  • Apps that require a connection ( steam, discord, skype) don't connect properly, sometimes they work other times they hang on "connecting" or are unable to load images and messages at all.
  • Chrome and Firefox do not work at all. Chrome gives errors such as " This site took too long to respond" and "The device will not accept the connection"
  • Windows updates still seem to work
  • Microsoft Edge works normally

I have tried resetting the LAN and proxy settings to "automatically detect". I have tried running netsh winsock reset and reset ip. I have extensively scanned my device to remove all threats and possible remnants of the virus. I have tried tinkering in Safe mode to no effect. I have tried re-installing the programs and apps (I had to re-install them anyways after the OS re-install). I have tried turning off the firewall and checked that the apps and browsers were being allowed through the firewall. The only anti-virus program I have currently installed apart from Windows Defender is Malwarebytes.

My router is definetly working and configured correctly as there are several other pcs connected to it with no problems.

I have tried everything I can think of and find on the internet - I'm hoping someone here will know the solution.

Thanks for your time.
Julia

Mar 11, 2019
Hello, thanks for responding. My SSD had the OS on it so that was formatted. My other 2 harddrives were scanned by several anti-virus programs in safe mode and appeared to be untouched.