Question Windows's stutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Hello people, I have windows on an HDD and windows seems to lock up at stutter in every game and app. I am planning to buy an SSD. My question is. Does having Windows on an HDD and games on an SSD make every game and app to stutter? I don't have no overclocks and I keep HWinfo open and the only graphs I use are, CPU temps, GPU temps, GPU and CPU usage, HDD usage and SSD usage. I have a feeling since Windows is installed on my HDD it causes games to stutter. I say that because every time I get a stutter I look at my other monitor and I see that my CPU, GPU, and SSD is fine while my HDD (Windows) is constantly spiking non stop. So another question is, Will putting OS on an SSD cause the stuttering to be gone?

Hello people, I have windows on an HDD and windows seems to lock up at stutter in every game and app. I am planning to buy an SSD. My question is. Does having Windows on an HDD and games on an SSD make every game and app to stutter? I don't have no overclocks and I keep HWinfo open and the only graphs I use are, CPU temps, GPU temps, GPU and CPU usage, HDD usage and SSD usage. I have a feeling since Windows is installed on my HDD it causes games to stutter. I say that because every time I get a stutter I look at my other monitor and I see that my CPU, GPU, and SSD is fine while my HDD (Windows) is constantly spiking non stop. So another question is, Will putting OS on an SSD cause the stuttering to be gone?

What hardware are you running ? CPU, ram, gpu, memory type and size ? What apps are stuttering ?

Being on a regular HHD is not a reason for Windows to stutter...SSD's will boot faster but after that the experience should level out unless you're doing a lot of disk intensive work or gaming. I ran Windows on HHD's for decades and did not suffer stutter.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
What hardware are you running ? CPU, ram, gpu, memory type and size ? What apps are stuttering ?

Being on a regular HHD is not a reason for Windows to stutter...SSD's will boot faster but after that the experience should level out unless you're doing a lot of disk intensive work or gaming. I ran Windows on HHD's for decades and did not suffer stutter.
CPU : Ryzen 5 3500
GPU : 1660 ti
Ram 16gb 3200mhz
When I open google chrome or literally any app I have download including games, my HDD shoot to 100% disk usage. Also when I don't do absolutely nothing I see the disk usage spike out of control. When I play games I see my HDD spiking and the game stutters, but I don't understand that when I have the games on an SSD.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020

CPU : Ryzen 5 3500
GPU : 1660 ti
Ram 16gb 3200mhz
When I open google chrome or literally any app I have download including games, my HDD shoot to 100% disk usage. Also when I don't do absolutely nothing I see the disk usage spike out of control. When I play games I see my HDD spiking and the game stutters, but I don't understand that when I have the games on an SSD.

Again being on an HHD for your OS should not cause stuttering...moving to an SSD will not fix the issue unless you have a hardware failure happening with the HHD you're using right now.

I would recommend an offline virus scan that includes the boot sector of the drive as a starting point. If the HHD tests clean then I would guess you may have a hardware failure in progress on the HHD.

Moving to an SSD is done to resolve slow load times...it will not fix a virus issue if you plan on copying the existing OS install to the new SSD.

Mista Krank

Reputable
BANNED
Oct 23, 2020
Again being on an HHD for your OS should not cause stuttering...moving to an SSD will not fix the issue unless you have a hardware failure happening with the HHD you're using right now.

I would recommend an offline virus scan that includes the boot sector of the drive as a starting point. If the HHD tests clean then I would guess you may have a hardware failure in progress on the HHD.

Moving to an SSD is done to resolve slow load times...it will not fix a virus issue if you plan on copying the existing OS install to the new SSD.
I have no viruses the HDD is the problem because it is constantly making a noise and it constantly like to be on 100% usage. I I factory resetted my pc so I have no viruses.

"I factory resetted my pc so I have no viruses. "

Doing a factory reset is not a guarantee of virus removal...a virus can stay resident in system ram or the HHD boot sector and recovery partition.

That being said, if you have weird noises coming from the HHD I would replace it ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.