[SOLVED] winload.exe missing after cloning hdd to ssd

mrblimack

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
Hi,

I looked around here and couldn't solve my problem.

My HDD had a smart fail (reallocated sector count ), but could still boot on it. So I bought an ssd (860 QVO Samsung).

I used easeUS partition master to clone my hdd to my ssd, with no errors encountered, it looks like this: View: https://imgur.com/a/OEn9tB4

Then I shut down, removed the old hdd, put the new ssd at the slot where hdd was, boot and rand into the winload.exe missing.

I then replug the hdd and ssd where it first was, boot, look around here find few things that wasn't sure if applied to my case so didn't tried, found that the partition has to be active which it already was: View: https://imgur.com/a/at9rPk6

Then I saw the BCDBoot command and tried it, command prompt said successful, but once I re-shut down, remove old hdd, put new ssd at the old hdd slot position and boot I got into the same error.

I can't seem to find the answer to fix my problem so help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Solution
Return the system back to original config.
Does it boot up?
If so, redo the clone. It seems it went wrong, or you missed a thing or two.

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as...

USAFRet

Titan
Return the system back to original config.
Does it boot up?
If so, redo the clone. It seems it went wrong, or you missed a thing or two.

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution

mrblimack

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
Ok I'll try thanks, that is exactly what I did thought, except I used easeUS instead of Samsung Data Migration, but will give it a shot. (And yes the old config work (well I have to force boot because I always get the smart failure)) The drives are both 1tb so it should be exactly the same afterwards technically

USAFRet

Titan
Ok I'll try thanks, that is exactly what I did thought, except I used easeUS instead of Samsung Data Migration, but will give it a shot. (And yes the old config work (well I have to force boot because I always get the smart failure)) The drives are both 1tb so it should be exactly the same afterwards technically
However...cloning a failed current install may simply move the 'fail' to a different drive.

mrblimack

Reputable
Dec 12, 2016
Ahhh, yes,... "Bad sectors can not be read, so there is nothing to write to the destination " Maybe that's the thing

I'll launch a windows installation USB then if this doesn't work.

USAFRet

Titan
Ahhh, yes,... "Bad sectors can not be read, so there is nothing to write to the destination " Maybe that's the thing

I'll launch a windows installation USB then if this doesn't work.
Time for a clean install.
Cloning does not fix a bad drive.