Wired keyboard and mouse not working

KristinaS

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem but am having difficulty since I cannot get a keyboard or mouse to work on the computer. It is not recognizing the wired keyboard and mouse, I've tried every USB port on the PC and the mouse port as well (with an adapter.) I have tried another keyboard and mouse, one wired and the other wireless, with no luck. When I plug anything in to the USB ports, it says: a problem occurred during hardware installation. Your device may not work properly. Neither device responds but the lights worked on the keyboard once. I've rebooted by holding down the power button but nothing has worked. All of the devices that will not respond on this PC work on another one so they are not the issue. There were no changes made to the computer, they just stopped responding.

Any ideas on how to do anything with it without being able to use a mouse or keyboard?

It is an HP Pavilion m7480n running Windows XP.

Thanks for any assistance.

Has there been any sort of power outage or anything recently where the computer shut off unexpectedly?

It sounds like the USB Root Hubs are toast on the computer.

You can reset them by doing the following:
Navigate to the Control Panel -> Device Manager -> Universal Serial Bus controllers
Locate the USB Root Hub(s) in this area then right click each one and choose uninstall.
After installing each of them, restart the computer and let them be reinstalled. It may take a bit for them all to get reinstalled.
See if the devices work now.

NOTE: You may be prompted to restart after removing the first entry but do not do it until all are done.
Also, DO NOT remove the other things listed there. Only remove the USB Root Hub(s)

If I understand you correctly, both PS/2 and USB ports are not working right?.. If so, the problem would be your motherboard... seems the PS/2 ports have failed followed by usb ports... I had this problem a while back so I know the symptoms and that is probably what you're experiencing.

In my opinion you have three options depending on your budget:
If you're on a tight budget;
1) you could try installing a PS/2 PCI card to replace the original PS/2 ports but there's a chance it may not work, or work for a while and then also fail.. but it's a low budget repair costing no more than $20.00 (if you can install the PCI card yourself) so this is the quickest and cheapest possible solution.
2) The next option budgetwise would be a new motherboard of the same model... and you just may get away without having to repair-reinstall the operating system.
3) And if money is not a problem, then your best option would be to upgrade the computer with a more recent model motherboard+processor+ram kit.. you will have to repair-reinstall the operating system.

HP Pavilion Media Center m7480n specs (Pentium D 930 3 GHz : none.)
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-media-center/4507-3118_7-32147233.html

Motherboard Specifications, P5LP-LE (Leonite)
Manufacturer's motherboard name: ASUS P5LP-LE
HP/Compaq name: Leonite-GL8E
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00864946#N33

KristinaS

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
[/quote]

Thank you for responding but the keyboard and mouse are not working so I am not able to navigate at all to try this fix.

KristinaS

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012

Thank you for the information. I thought we would probably have to replace the motherboard or something. It isn't my computer so I will take these options to the owner and go from there. Thank you again for your suggestions. :)

Dovydas Laukys

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
Usually only USB port doesn't work.

Simple Solution:

1. Connect a PS2 mouse/keyboard (Not USB)

2. START > RUN (search for RUN, press ENTER)

3. Type devmgmt.msc (Or copy > paste if using mouse)

4. Find USB ports (Universal Serial Bus Controllers)

5. Pick USB root Hub > Properties > Driver.

6. Roll back Drivers (If possible) or Uninstall Drivers.

7. Plug ur USB K&M back.

Voila!