Wireless connection problem on one laptop only.

Cacnio

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Hi, first of all, I'm not 100% where to put this so hope it's ok here.

I set up a new internet connection yesterday and had to get a router to set up the wireless myself.
I'm connected with Cox Preferred and bought the Netgear Wireless N-300 Router. I'm using a HP G6000 laptop.

I set up the wireless as advised. There is a signal being sent out and my boyfriend can connect to the network on his computer so I know it's set up right. On my laptop I can only connect with the cable plugged in. When I try to get a wireless signal it keeps telling my that it's a 'local only' connection. I have being using wireless on this laptop for about 3 years. I can even connect to a neighbours wireless account right now.

I think I've done everything I can from switching everything off and on, trying to manually and automatically get IP addresses, repair the signal etc.
I only know a certain amount about this and I can't find my problem through a search. I know the wireless adapter is working as I can connect to another network. I know the modem is working as I'm connected right now, and I know the wireless is working as my boyfriend can connect. I'm ready to through my laptop out the window!

Right now in the activity section, I have 911 bytes sent but none received. When I ping the address I get all four packets sent and received. I can post the results if someone needs them.

Thanks, hope someone can help me.

G

Just to narrow it down, try turning off wireless security temporarily.

If it works then it must be worth trying a different password or making sure the wireless security type selected works with all your hardware.

Another alternative is reception/interference. Might try experimenting with other channels.