Wireless Internet Much Slower Than it Should Be

PurpleTreePanda

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Hello,

This is my first time submitting a question (though I've browsed for a while). I haven't been able to find any solutions that help me with my problem: the wireless internet on my Gaming PC is much slower than on my laptop. I've had this problem for a while and I've searched all over to find a resolution. Also, wired internet is not an option in my current situation. I've seen that many times the problem is resolved due to an issue with either the motherboard, windows, or the wireless card itself, so here's what I'm using:

mobo: Asus M5A97
WiFi card: ASUS USB-N53

Please help with any suggestions that you may have. Also, if you need more info about the PC, let me know.

By the way, on speedtest.net, the PC gets around 1-2Mb down and 40Mb up. My laptop is getting around 90Mb down and 80Mb up. (University internet)

By the way, on speedtest.net, the PC gets around 1-2Mb down and 40Mb up. My laptop is getting around 90Mb down and 80Mb up. (University internet)

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Before we go any further, can I clarify those figures. Should the upload be .4Mb and .8 and the laptop download .9? Can you check that the wireless channel in the PC's configuration is the same as that on the laptop? Preferably, it should be set to automatic so it roams to find the best signal

PurpleTreePanda

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
No, what you read is correct (Megabits, I can link a picture if you'd like), my university has an amazing internet connection. It's a shame that my tower is currently unable to harness its potential.

The wireless channels are the same on both the PC and the laptop, but where would I set it to automatic (for future reference)?

Also, thank you for your willingness to help!

PurpleTreePanda

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

No, what you read is correct (Megabits, I can link a picture if you'd like), my university has an amazing internet connection. It's a shame that my tower is currently unable to harness its potential.

The wireless channels are the same on both the PC and the laptop, but where would I set it to automatic (for future reference)?

Also, thank you for your willingness to help!

Aha - so it's the 1.2 that fooled me - 1.2Gb is a total rarity in the UK but until recently, 1.2Mb was my top speed before fibre optic reached me. Sorry about that.

Sheer jealousy should prevent me from helping further :D but I think the answer is going to be in a PCIe wireless N adapter which will fit into one of those wo PCIe.2.0.x1 slots you have on your motherboard.

PurpleTreePanda

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant by 1-2Mb is between 1 and 2Mb, not 1.2Gb, that really would be crazy. And I have gone through a number of different wireless adapters including PCIe adapters and USB adapters, but they don't seem to do any better.