Wizardry 8: Return to portal books?

I was wondering if there are any books of return to portal in the game.
I have found for sale several books of set portal, but none of return.
Since, when gaining a level, you learn both spells if you choose either
one, it appears that the books of set portal alone are useless (since
they do *not* teach both spells).
Have I just been unlucky in spell availability, or are there no books
of return to portal? In the latter case, I can sell the books to buy
other spells instead.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 5 Mar 2005 06:59:13 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The Qurqirish
Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:

>I was wondering if there are any books of return to portal in the game.
>I have found for sale several books of set portal, but none of return.
>Since, when gaining a level, you learn both spells if you choose either
>one, it appears that the books of set portal alone are useless (since
>they do *not* teach both spells).
>Have I just been unlucky in spell availability, or are there no books
>of return to portal? In the latter case, I can sell the books to buy
>other spells instead.

I'm part way into Wiz 8, and I found a list of spell book locations on one
web site (don't remember which one), which I printed out.

According to the list I have, 'Return to Portal' books are in the game; it's
just that they're in places you'll probably reach a little later than the
places where the 'Set Portal' books can be found.

What I'm doing is saving the 'Set to Portal' books for when my hybrids are
high enough level to use them; by that point I should have found some of the
'Return to Portal' books too. My pure casters all took the portal spells as
a choice as soon as they hit 11th level.

Spell locations ROT13ed below (in case you don't want actual spoilers):

These are all just entered the way they are on the list I have; I haven't
actually got to any of these places yet (my party is in the middle of
exploring the Swamp), so I can't vouch for the accuracy of these locations
from personal experience.

Return to Portals:

Zbhag Tvtnf Pnirf (Harkcyberq Greevgbel)
Abegurea Jvyqrearff (RFR Ubtne Pnir)
Zbhagnva Jvyqrearff (Ergeb qhatrba)
Onlwva (Uhg jvgu Onggyrybeqf)

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

Nick's two rules of spammer talk:

1. Spammers lie.
2. If a spammer ever appears to be telling
the truth, please refer to rule number 1.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 16:18:54 GMT, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, Nick
<tanstaafl@pobox.com> wrote:

>I'm part way into Wiz 8, and I found a list of spell book locations on one
>web site (don't remember which one), which I printed out.

One place with that list is Avenstar's Wiz 8 web site, at
<http://www.geocities.com/shau185/index.html>; that list is probably also on
other Wiz 8 sites.

If you're having problems coming up with money for spell books, you can make
a good bit of money with Alchemy: buy some of the cheaper potions, mix them
to get more expensive potions, then sell the new potions for a nice profit.
Avenstar's site, along with several others, has a list of mixable potions.

You don't need an Alchemist in your party to do this; any character with an
Alchemy skill of at least 15 can mix basic potions for a profit (higher
skill is needed to produce the more powerful and profitable potions).

Besides making money, mixing potions also raises your character's Alchemy
skill; that's particularly handy for my Bishop.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.

>>I was wondering if there are any books of return to portal in the game.
>>I have found for sale several books of set portal, but norne of return.
>>Since, when gaining a level, you learn both spells if you choose either
>>one, it appears that the books of set portal alone are useless (since
>>they do *not* teach both spells).
>>Have I just been unlucky in spell availability, or are there no books
>>of return to portal? In the latter case, I can sell the books to buy
>>other spells instead.
>

> What I'm doing is saving the 'Set to Portal' books for when my hybrids are
> high enough level to use them; by that point I should have found some of the
> 'Return to Portal' books too. My pure casters all took the portal spells as
> a choice as soon as they hit 11th level.
>
>I know at least two locations which give you a set, way before you can
actually cast the spell. First there is a book in the backroom to the
Pagode in Trynton, where the 3 Rapax scouts are fighting the trynnie
patrols. The complementary book is in the Northern Wilderness, which I
always visit after my first visit to the Umpani camp, which I always do
on the way back from the second visit to the monastery (with the wheel
key). It is in a cave on the southern rim, defended by a Battering
Hogar. I doný know which is which, but one of those two is a return to
portal. HTH, gr. from the Netherlands, Wim Denie

Thanks for the help. I transferred my party from Wizardry 7, so I have
only one basic spellcaster- My starting party was
lord/samurai/ninja/ranger/psionic/monk.

The ranger and monk have changed class to gadgeteer and bishop
respectively. Once the stats are high enough (next level currently) my
lord and samurai are going to swap classes (new spells available, all
equipment still usable :)

Anyway, I'm currently exploring the Rapax area, but now that I know the
return books exist, I'll hold onto the set portal books.

BTW, thatnks for the advice about potions- my ninja has an alchemy
skill over 50, and I need money to buy some stolen goods from the
rattkin (In order for this to be a spoiler, you already need to know
what they have :)

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 6 Mar 2005 06:15:26 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The Qurqirish
Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:

>BTW, thatnks for the advice about potions- my ninja has an alchemy
>skill over 50, and I need money to buy some stolen goods from the
>rattkin (In order for this to be a spoiler, you already need to know
>what they have :)

I did a bit of potion mixing to finance that purchase myself. :)

Note that not all potion mixes are profitable: some of the resultant potions
are worth less than the two potions you mix together (sometimes considerably
less). So check prices.

At low skill levels, Heavy Heals are a money maker; at higher levels Renewal
Potions and Pandemonium Powder are both good.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

TANSTAAFL! (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!) R.A.H.

Really? IN wiz 7, class changing often worked great. Oh, well. I rarely
use the front-line characters for more than combat anyway (The lord
pretty much only used magic outside of battle, to cast Soul Shield. He
used to cast armorplate, but now that my force-field generator is
makiong a level-6 shield, I don't need that anymore)

In article <1110118526.366239.283870@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, The Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
> Thanks for the help. I transferred my party from Wizardry 7, so I have
> only one basic spellcaster- My starting party was
> lord/samurai/ninja/ranger/psionic/monk.
>
> The ranger and monk have changed class to gadgeteer and bishop
> respectively. Once the stats are high enough (next level
> currently) my lord and samurai are going to swap classes (new
> spells available, all equipment still usable :)

Class changing isn't usually profitable in Wizardry 8, with a few
exceptions. I can't see any benefit to swapping classes between
two characters. You'll likely finish the game before your Lord
gets any Wizard spells, and his Priest spells will atrophe. The
same goes for your Samurai.

--
Neil Cerutti

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 7 Mar 2005 07:03:06 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The Qurqirish
Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:

>Really? IN wiz 7, class changing often worked great. Oh, well. I rarely
>use the front-line characters for more than combat anyway (The lord
>pretty much only used magic outside of battle, to cast Soul Shield. He
>used to cast armorplate, but now that my force-field generator is
>makiong a level-6 shield, I don't need that anymore)

I used the force-field generator for a while, but then I noticed how much it
weighed... (If I remember right, it's 15 lbs.) Now it's sitting on the
floor of my room at the inn. :)

To me, that carrying capacity is more useful for ammo, etc. than for a spell
I only cast a couple of times a day. Besides, casting Armorplate each time
I camp helps my Bishop build her magic skills up.

--

In article <1110207786.701825.76670@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, The Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
> Really? IN wiz 7, class changing often worked great.

Yes, because you start over at level one, and the 2nd class
levels up easily.

In Wizardry 8, you character level stays the same; your new
class, if you take it late in the game, will often not become
viable.

In addition, you lose the individual class ability of classes you
abandon, and can't use equip stuff that's unique to that class
any more.

> Oh, well. I rarely use the front-line characters for more than
> combat anyway (The lord pretty much only used magic outside of
> battle, to cast Soul Shield. He used to cast armorplate, but
> now that my force-field generator is makiong a level-6 shield,
> I don't need that anymore)

I love Gadgets.

--
Neil Cerutti

Nick wrote:
> On 7 Mar 2005 07:03:06 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The
Qurqirish
> Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:
> I used the force-field generator for a while, but then I noticed how
much it
> weighed... (If I remember right, it's 15 lbs.) Now it's sitting on
the
> floor of my room at the inn. :)
>
> To me, that carrying capacity is more useful for ammo, etc. than for
a spell
> I only cast a couple of times a day. Besides, casting Armorplate
each time
> I camp helps my Bishop build her magic skills up.

I find that weight is not too much of a problem (except, of course, for
my fairy, but that's another story....)

As far as building up magic skill is concerned, for earth power, I use
whipping rocks in battle- if I am in an easy area, I cast a bunch of
power level 1 spells. For divinity power, rest all works nicely, since
my dracon and gadgeteer often need a stamina boost half-way through any
tough battle.

Anyway, with your advice here, I am thinking that I'll only keep the
classes like this long enough to get a few healing spells for the
(original) samurai (in particular, heal wounds and stamina), and a few
attack spellspells for the (original) lord (energy blast and frost,
most likely), then I'll switch them back. Granted, I lose a couple
spell picks, but neither one has used much magic anyway.

The Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
> In addition, you lose the individual class ability of classes you
> abandon, and can't use equip stuff that's unique to that class
> any more.
Well, for the lord, all my characters have amulets of life, so they all
regenerate health. For the samurai, lightning strike is nice, but
doesn't happen that often. As for equipment, since I swapped the
classes of two characters, they simply trade their equipment! That was
why I swapped the classes- so I wouldn't lose any item use :)

> > Oh, well. I rarely use the front-line characters for more than
> > combat anyway (The lord pretty much only used magic outside of
> > battle, to cast Soul Shield. He used to cast armorplate, but
> > now that my force-field generator is makiong a level-6 shield,
> > I don't need that anymore)
>
> I love Gadgets.

Yeah, and in one more level my gadgeteer hits level 11 and can use that
disintegration ray (or whatever it is called) I hope that it works well.

In article
<1110291768.944939.27050@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, The
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
> As far as building up magic skill is concerned, for earth
> power, I use whipping rocks in battle- if I am in an easy area,
> I cast a bunch of power level 1 spells. For divinity power,
> rest all works nicely, since my dracon and gadgeteer often need
> a stamina boost half-way through any tough battle.

That's a great spell.

> Anyway, with your advice here, I am thinking that I'll only
> keep the classes like this long enough to get a few healing
> spells for the (original) samurai (in particular, heal wounds
> and stamina), and a few attack spellspells for the (original)
> lord (energy blast and frost, most likely), then I'll switch
> them back. Granted, I lose a couple spell picks, but neither
> one has used much magic anyway.

If you are already in the Rapax zones, you're likely to finish
the game before those characters gain the spells you're thinking
about earning them. Once you hit level 12 or so, 5 more levels is
a lllllooooooonnnnnnnggggggg ttttiiiiiiimmmmmmeeeee coming.

--
Neil Cerutti

In article
<1110292166.961825.91560@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, The
Qurqirish Dragon wrote:
>> I love Gadgets.
>
> Yeah, and in one more level my gadgeteer hits level 11 and can
> use that disintegration ray (or whatever it is called) I hope
> that it works well.

Oh, yes. In the end my Gadgeteer racked up more kills than any
character except for the Bard that used Bloodlust for 90% of the
game.

--
Neil Cerutti

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 8 Mar 2005 06:22:48 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The Qurqirish
Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:

>I find that weight is not too much of a problem (except, of course, for
>my fairy, but that's another story....)

My party is heavy on ranged attackers and magic users, so I haven't been
building up strength for most of them. Plus, I have two fairies (Monk and
Mage), which cuts back on carrying capacity.

My Ranger and Gadgeteer both get four to six shots off per round, so they go
through ammo fairly quickly.

>As far as building up magic skill is concerned, for earth power, I use
>whipping rocks in battle- if I am in an easy area, I cast a bunch of
>power level 1 spells. For divinity power, rest all works nicely, since
>my dracon and gadgeteer often need a stamina boost half-way through any
>tough battle.

My Bishop is the primary Priest spell caster for my party, but I'm also
having her build up the other three spell books for access to their higher
level spells as well. She casts almost constantly in combat, but she also
casts most of the post-camping spells (Armorplate, Missile Shield, etc.) for
the party.

Since she doesn't get a 25% bonus to any spell books the way the other pure
casters do, she needs all the spell casting chances she can get.

In tough fights, she picks spells based on how useful they are; in easy
fights, she picks spells based on what skills they'll advance.

>Anyway, with your advice here, I am thinking that I'll only keep the
>classes like this long enough to get a few healing spells for the
>(original) samurai (in particular, heal wounds and stamina), and a few
>attack spellspells for the (original) lord (energy blast and frost,
>most likely), then I'll switch them back. Granted, I lose a couple
>spell picks, but neither one has used much magic anyway.

To me, it's not so much a problem of losing spell picks, but of sacrificing
access to high level spells in the original class so you can learn low level
spells in a different class.

I'd rather keep my Valkyrie in her current class and have her learn 5th
level Priest spells once she levels up two or three more times, rather than
switching her to a Samurai and having to level up several times just to get
some first level Mage spells.

Even if I switched her back, she'd still have to level up two or three more
times before she could learn those 5th level Priest spells.

Considering how long it takes to level up once you get past 10th level or
so, making her wait four or more extra levels before she can start learning
5th level spells like Heal All, etc. is too big a price (to me) to pay for
learning Energy Blast and other first level spells.

I already have characters who can cast most of the first level spells in the
different spell books; it's the higher level spells I need to add to my
party's repertoire.

--
Nick <mailto:tanstaafl@pobox.com>

May you live in interesting times...

Nick wrote:
> On 8 Mar 2005 06:22:48 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The
Qurqirish
> Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:
> >Anyway, with your advice here, I am thinking that I'll only keep the
> >classes like this long enough to get a few healing spells for the
> >(original) samurai (in particular, heal wounds and stamina), and a
few
> >attack spellspells for the (original) lord (energy blast and frost,
> >most likely), then I'll switch them back. Granted, I lose a couple
> >spell picks, but neither one has used much magic anyway.
>
> To me, it's not so much a problem of losing spell picks, but of
sacrificing
> access to high level spells in the original class so you can learn
low level
> spells in a different class.

My front-line (lord and samurai) cast spells in battle so rarely, that
the combat skills ar more important- and getting critical strike for
the lord is useful.
> Considering how long it takes to level up once you get past 10th
level or
> so, making her wait four or more extra levels before she can start
learning
> 5th level spells like Heal All, etc. is too big a price (to me) to
pay for
> learning Energy Blast and other first level spells.
Again, outside of battle, I can use lower-level healing spells. I have
a portal set in Trynton by the magic-restoring fountain, so my spell
points are not a problem.

> I already have characters who can cast most of the first level spells
in the
> different spell books; it's the higher level spells I need to add to
my
> party's repertoire.

My main concern is to get a healing spell for the samurai (I think I
might just get heal wounds). If my lord gets energy blast before then,
fine, otherwise the switch back will get him lightning eventually.

My fairy bishop and mook psionic are the main spellcasters (the bishop
has over 70 points in two books, and in the upper 30s in the other two,
and over 50 points in each element; the psionic has 117 in Psionics,
and only has about 4 more spells he CAN learn- ever.) The gadgeteer
does a lot of gadget use (the omnigun isn't used much- he uses the
port-o-potty and holograph projector most of the time in battle)

Anyway, I am not having any difficulties, so things are going well ;-)

In article <5g2s21l5gcg3n6melo4hd6uuhqk9oojov6@4ax.com>, Nick wrote:
> To me, it's not so much a problem of losing spell picks, but of
> sacrificing access to high level spells in the original class
> so you can learn low level spells in a different class.
>
> I'd rather keep my Valkyrie in her current class and have her
> learn 5th level Priest spells once she levels up two or three
> more times, rather than switching her to a Samurai and having
> to level up several times just to get some first level Mage
> spells.
>
> Even if I switched her back, she'd still have to level up two
> or three more times before she could learn those 5th level
> Priest spells.
>
> Considering how long it takes to level up once you get past
> 10th level or so, making her wait four or more extra levels
> before she can start learning 5th level spells like Heal All,
> etc. is too big a price (to me) to pay for learning Energy
> Blast and other first level spells.
>
> I already have characters who can cast most of the first level
> spells in the different spell books; it's the higher level
> spells I need to add to my party's repertoire.

My last Wiz8 party included several of minor spellcasting
classes. Most did not have enough free time to cast the spells
they did have, let alone a bunch of other wimpy spells from
another class. As front-line fighters, their spell-casting skills
were very difficult to keep up, and I didn't get to take full
advantage of their spellcasting skills already.

Finally, every spell you cast in Wiz8 has a casting level equal
to as many effective levels of that class a character carries. A
10the level Mage's Energy Blast will be much more effective than
a 10th level Samurai's Energy Blast, even if they both spend the
same amount of mana. This is because the effectiveness of a spell
is dependent on the relationship between you casting level and
the level of mob you're facing. Plus, your casting level
determines how much mana you're allowed to put into a spell in
the first place.

An 18th level character with 13 levels of Samurai and 5 levels of
Priest will cast Mage spells as if he were a level 8 mage, and
Priest spells as if he were a level 1 Priest. An 8th level mage
spell will be a joke against an 18th level monster.

If he had stayed a Samurai for all 18 levels, his mage casting
level would be 13, much more competitive. With powercasting, he
could be a very powerful caster.

--
Neil Cerutti

"The Qurqirish Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote in message

> Nick wrote:
> > On 8 Mar 2005 06:22:48 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The
> Qurqirish
> > Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:
> > >Anyway, with your advice here, I am thinking that I'll only keep the
> > >classes like this long enough to get a few healing spells for the
> > >(original) samurai (in particular, heal wounds and stamina), and a
> few
> > >attack spellspells for the (original) lord (energy blast and frost,
> > >most likely), then I'll switch them back. Granted, I lose a couple
> > >spell picks, but neither one has used much magic anyway.
> >
> > To me, it's not so much a problem of losing spell picks, but of
> sacrificing
> > access to high level spells in the original class so you can learn
> low level
> > spells in a different class.
>
> My front-line (lord and samurai) cast spells in battle so rarely, that
> the combat skills ar more important- and getting critical strike for
> the lord is useful.
> > Considering how long it takes to level up once you get past 10th
> level or
> > so, making her wait four or more extra levels before she can start
> learning
> > 5th level spells like Heal All, etc. is too big a price (to me) to
> pay for
> > learning Energy Blast and other first level spells.
> Again, outside of battle, I can use lower-level healing spells. I have
> a portal set in Trynton by the magic-restoring fountain, so my spell
> points are not a problem.
>
> > I already have characters who can cast most of the first level spells
> in the
> > different spell books; it's the higher level spells I need to add to
> my
> > party's repertoire.
>
> My main concern is to get a healing spell for the samurai (I think I
> might just get heal wounds). If my lord gets energy blast before then,
> fine, otherwise the switch back will get him lightning eventually.
>
> My fairy bishop and mook psionic are the main spellcasters (the bishop
> has over 70 points in two books, and in the upper 30s in the other two,
> and over 50 points in each element; the psionic has 117 in Psionics,
> and only has about 4 more spells he CAN learn- ever.) The gadgeteer
> does a lot of gadget use (the omnigun isn't used much- he uses the
> port-o-potty and holograph projector most of the time in battle)
>
> Anyway, I am not having any difficulties, so things are going well ;-)

I used to have a gadgeteer using the port-o-potty a lot when I played, but
then I suddenly couldn't find the parts for it and now I can't remember
exactly where they are supposed to be. Can you post those specific
locations?

--
Multiversal Mercenaries. You name it, we kill it. Any time, any reality.

> I used to have a gadgeteer using the port-o-potty a lot when I played, but
> then I suddenly couldn't find the parts for it and now I can't remember
> exactly where they are supposed to be. Can you post those specific
> locations?
> IIRC the potty is in the room with the gleaming sword over the trapdoor to the cropcodiles in Upper Marten's Bluff,

the porthole in the harbour next to Anna's shop in Arnika, HTH, gr.
from the Netherlands, Wim Denie

"The Qurqirish Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote in message

> Nick wrote:
>> On 8 Mar 2005 06:22:48 -0800, in comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg, "The
> Qurqirish
>> Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote:
>> >Anyway, with your advice here, I am thinking that I'll only keep the
>> >classes like this long enough to get a few healing spells for the
>> >(original) samurai (in particular, heal wounds and stamina), and a
> few
>> >attack spellspells for the (original) lord (energy blast and frost,
>> >most likely), then I'll switch them back. Granted, I lose a couple
>> >spell picks, but neither one has used much magic anyway.
>>
>> To me, it's not so much a problem of losing spell picks, but of
> sacrificing
>> access to high level spells in the original class so you can learn
> low level
>> spells in a different class.
>
> My front-line (lord and samurai) cast spells in battle so rarely, that
> the combat skills ar more important- and getting critical strike for
> the lord is useful.
>> Considering how long it takes to level up once you get past 10th
> level or
>> so, making her wait four or more extra levels before she can start
> learning
>> 5th level spells like Heal All, etc. is too big a price (to me) to
> pay for
>> learning Energy Blast and other first level spells.
> Again, outside of battle, I can use lower-level healing spells. I have
> a portal set in Trynton by the magic-restoring fountain, so my spell
> points are not a problem.
>
>> I already have characters who can cast most of the first level spells
> in the
>> different spell books; it's the higher level spells I need to add to
> my
>> party's repertoire.
>
> My main concern is to get a healing spell for the samurai (I think I
> might just get heal wounds). If my lord gets energy blast before then,
> fine, otherwise the switch back will get him lightning eventually.
>
> My fairy bishop and mook psionic are the main spellcasters (the bishop
> has over 70 points in two books, and in the upper 30s in the other two,
> and over 50 points in each element; the psionic has 117 in Psionics,
> and only has about 4 more spells he CAN learn- ever.) The gadgeteer
> does a lot of gadget use (the omnigun isn't used much- he uses the
> port-o-potty and holograph projector most of the time in battle)
>
> Anyway, I am not having any difficulties, so things are going well ;-)

A warning. At one point you will have a member of the opposing factions as
npc's. (Forget names of them.) Be sure to finish all that has to be done
in that area before you take them back to their leaders. AI made the
mistake of going to the leaders and then returning with them to finish the
area. Then discovered I could not dismiss them. Had to finish the game
with them.

In article
<9uPXd.358635$w62.110155@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
ALMA ENGELS wrote:
> A warning. At one point you will have a member of the opposing
> factions as npc's. (Forget names of them.) Be sure to finish
> all that has to be done in that area before you take them back
> to their leaders. AI made the mistake of going to the leaders
> and then returning with them to finish the area. Then
> discovered I could not dismiss them. Had to finish the game
> with them.

If that had happened to me I'd have just sent them "scouting
ahead" until something horrible befell them.

--
Neil Cerutti
Will the highways on the Internet become more few? --George W.

ALMA ENGELS wrote:
> "The Qurqirish Dragon" <qurqirishd@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Nick wrote:
>> few
>>>
>>> To me, it's not so much a problem of losing spell picks, but of
>>> sacrificing access to high level spells in the original class so
>>> you can learn
>> low level
>>> spells in a different class.
>>
>> My front-line (lord and samurai) cast spells in battle so rarely,
>> that the combat skills ar more important- and getting critical
>> strike for the lord is useful.
>>> Considering how long it takes to level up once you get past 10th
>> level or
>>> so, making her wait four or more extra levels before she can start
>>> learning 5th level spells like Heal All, etc. is too big a price
>>> (to me) to
>> pay for
>>> learning Energy Blast and other first level spells.
>> Again, outside of battle, I can use lower-level healing spells. I
>> have a portal set in Trynton by the magic-restoring fountain, so my
>> spell points are not a problem.
>>
>>> I already have characters who can cast most of the first level
>>> spells in the different spell books; it's the higher level spells I
>>> need to add to
>> my
>>> party's repertoire.
>>
>> My main concern is to get a healing spell for the samurai (I think I
>> might just get heal wounds). If my lord gets energy blast before
>> then, fine, otherwise the switch back will get him lightning
>> eventually.
>>
>> My fairy bishop and mook psionic are the main spellcasters (the
>> bishop has over 70 points in two books, and in the upper 30s in the
>> other two, and over 50 points in each element; the psionic has 117
>> in Psionics, and only has about 4 more spells he CAN learn- ever.)
>> The gadgeteer does a lot of gadget use (the omnigun isn't used much-
>> he uses the port-o-potty and holograph projector most of the time in
>> battle)
>>
>> Anyway, I am not having any difficulties, so things are going well
>> ;-)
>
> A warning. At one point you will have a member of the opposing
> factions as npc's. (Forget names of them.) Be sure to finish all
> that has to be done in that area before you take them back to their
> leaders. AI made the mistake of going to the leaders and then
> returning with them to finish the area. Then discovered I could not
> dismiss them. Had to finish the game with them.

Yeah, that was annoying - the game gives you the ability to teleport, then
the designers arrange the plot so that it 'breaks' if you use teleport at a
point when teleporting would be really, really handy and sensible.

--
Mark.