Sep 13, 2019
Hi everyone,

So, I upgraded from 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz to 4x8GB Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz, it booted well and could run a Cinebench test, but next time I turned the PC on, it cut power and rebooted on a loop before POSTing, until I turned off the DOCP profile (Asus' equivalent to XMP). Thinking one kit must be defective, I tried with each 2x8GB kit separately, and the problem persisted, the only way to make it post into windows is to turn off the DOCP profile and leave it at 2133Mhz.

I tried to adjust manually the RAM voltage all the way up to 1.4V, and it didn't change. I also turned down the RAM frequency to 3400Mhz, and still couldn't post.

So, I took out the new set of RAM, wanting to RMA it, and put back the previous Corsair one, and the problem persists with the old kit, whereas it was perfectly fine before and never had a DOCP problem.

Do you have an idea of what I should do, or why the DOCP functionality got broken by a new RAM kit?

My build:
  • Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII
  • CPU Ryzen 7 2700X
  • RAM 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz => 4x8GB Gskill Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz
  • GPU Sapphire Rx 5700 Pulse
  • PSU Corsair 750w Gold
  • Windows 10 64bits

Solution
Your memory kit should populate bay A2 & B2 on your motherboard.
Second, is this new kit listed in your MBoard QVL?
G.Skill has two 3600MHz variants, one timed 16-16-16-35 using Samsung B-die, & the other one is timed 16-19-19-39 which has Hynix die.
Reading all reviews on newegg, it seems memory kits with Hynix die are causing issues in Ryzen builds..
Check your QVL ..if you didn't find your kit there, there is a possible incompatibility issue..
if it's there, the QVL will tell you what die do you have on your new kit.
Sep 13, 2019
Which BIOS version are you currently working with on that motherboard? Which slots are you working with, when using two or a single stick of ram(out of the 4)?
The motherboard's BIOs is up to date with the Version 3004 of 27/12/2019, and I am using the A1-B1 slots when using dual-sticks

Sep 13, 2019
A2 B2 should be initial slots.

Thank you, but what about when all the slots are populated, like it was planned initially with my 4x8Gb kit?

I tried setting up the RAM timings and frequency manually (with Ryzen DRAM Calculator and Thaiphoon Burner), and the best I could achieve was 3333Mhz with the Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz, any frequency upwards would crash.

game-addict

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
Your memory kit should populate bay A2 & B2 on your motherboard.
Second, is this new kit listed in your MBoard QVL?
G.Skill has two 3600MHz variants, one timed 16-16-16-35 using Samsung B-die, & the other one is timed 16-19-19-39 which has Hynix die.
Reading all reviews on newegg, it seems memory kits with Hynix die are causing issues in Ryzen builds..
Check your QVL ..if you didn't find your kit there, there is a possible incompatibility issue..
if it's there, the QVL will tell you what die do you have on your new kit.

Solution
Sep 13, 2019
Ah, it's indeed a Hynix die kit, with 16-19-19-39 timings... It is not present on the MoBo's QVL list for 2nd Gen Ryzen, but it is for 3rd Gen... Actually only 3 RAM kits at 3466Mhz are listed, and no kits above this speed, so it's legit to expect issues with 3600+ kits with a 2700X?

In any case, it seems that the issue may come from the Hynix die indeed, I will send the kits back then.