[SOLVED] Workstation Build Help - 3D and Animation - 3000$

AndreRVieira

Prominent
Nov 17, 2019
Hi there,
I'm building a new workstation as a 3D Generalist and Motion Designer. I need a balanced build for gpu render, vfx, after effects animation, particle simulation, and more.
Hopefully buying it during November, my budget is approximately 3000€

Here's what I have so far:

GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC ~ 812€ / ASUS RTX 3070 TUF Gaming OC ~ 600€?? (one of these, depending on the availability)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5950x ~ 830€
Memory: G.Skill Kit 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz Ripjaws V Black CL18 ~ 150€
Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) ~ 250€
SSD 1 (OS & Software): SSD Corsair Force MP600 1TB ~ 250€
SSD 2 (Work files): SSD Corsair Force MP600 1TB ~ 250€
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB ~ 90€
Case: Phanteks P500A ~ 100€
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 ~ 90€
Fans: 3x Noctua NF-P14S ~ 14€ each
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850W 80+ Gold ~ 130€

I'm mostly a noob, this is based on other builds, component reviews, and what's available here (Portugal)

My main questions are:

• Where am I being dumb? :D
  • Motherboard/Pcie4: I don't really understand the pcie4 lanes thing. Will I be able to make use of pcie4 on both sdds with this build? (Other options for the board are MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ~ 210€ / Asus ROG Strix X570-E ~ 315€ / MSI MEG X570 Unify ~ 330€;)
  • Ssd: I'm using ssd 1 for system, software and some games. And the ssd 2 for work files. That separation used to be good for performance, is that still relevant?
  • Memory: 32gb or 64gb, 3200mhz or 3600mhz? ...buying more 32gb later if needed?
  • Case: Is the Phanteks P500a enough if I want to add another gpu later? (Other options are Fractal Design Define 7 ~ 165€ / Fractal Design Define 7 XL ~ 210€ / Li Lancool II Mesh ~ 90€;)

Any help will be very appreciated, thanks!!
André

Solution
You picked a motherboard with WIFI -- Are you expecting that to be your primary network ?
For RAM, buy what you expect to need upfront. "Adding" another 32GB is a gamble at best. For what you want to do, 64GB isn't unreasonable. Get 2x32GB and if you don't need all the RAM, then create a RAMDISK for your temporary render files.
I wouldn't recommend you pay extra for the gen 4 NVMe. If you can get a good price, then get it, but I wouldn't pay extra.
You are going to pay a premium for the top CPU. The 5900X may not sacrifice that much and save you significantly. You will have to wait for the reviews.
Ensure you have a backup process. USB drives might be part of your initial purchase if you don't

kanewolf

Titan
You picked a motherboard with WIFI -- Are you expecting that to be your primary network ?
For RAM, buy what you expect to need upfront. "Adding" another 32GB is a gamble at best. For what you want to do, 64GB isn't unreasonable. Get 2x32GB and if you don't need all the RAM, then create a RAMDISK for your temporary render files.
I wouldn't recommend you pay extra for the gen 4 NVMe. If you can get a good price, then get it, but I wouldn't pay extra.
You are going to pay a premium for the top CPU. The 5900X may not sacrifice that much and save you significantly. You will have to wait for the reviews.
Ensure you have a backup process. USB drives might be part of your initial purchase if you don't

Reactions: AndreRVieira
Solution