Question Worse than expected performance on RTX 3070

Kv2

Feb 2, 2021
Hey everyone, I'm wondering if anyone else has the same issues as me.

I've just upgraded to a R7 3700X and RTX 3070 but I'm not getting the performance I should be getting in many games. (Old system was a 6600K, R9 Fury X)

For example in Battlefront 2 on Ultra settings I'm getting 85-90 FPS in 1080P (144hz monitor). Supposedly 2080ti's can get over 150fps at the same settings? Another game is Black Desert Online. I stutter heavily in it, but I'm pretty sure this is due to SMT on the 3700x. However I struggle to get over 100 FPS in remastered mode, and can just about push 144fps when idle in a relatively empty area. In Planetary Annihilation Titans I slowly creep down from 120 fps to 30 fps, while my friend with a 6700K and 1070 stay almost at a locked 60fps. In Shadow Of The Tomb Raider I get around 85-90FPS with ultra raytracing enabled, which seems okay.

I've tried turning down detail settings but this almost makes performance worse. In the case of Black Desert Online, by going to remastered mode I get more FPS than without it?!

My temperatures are perfectly fine, GPU never going over 63 degrees in games. CPU rarely goes over 60 degrees too; It is however running the stock cooler. I have 3200MHZ CL16 Hyper X Fury ram, MSI B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi mobo. All these games are installed on a 1TB Kingston A2000 NVME SSD. This is all in a Cooler Master H500 Master Case with the pre-installed 200mm intake fans, mesh front grille, and a 120mm Be-Quiet Silent Wings 3 for exhaust. And for PSU a Corsair TX-750M 80+ Gold (yes I'm using separate 8 p-in cables for the GPU, no splitters for me!). For reference my GPU tends to idle around 36-45 Deg C, and CPU is around 43 Deg C. I have one 144HZ 24" AOC Freesync Monitor, and 2 60Hz TV's flanking the side.

I am using the Ryzen Balanced power plan, all chipset drivers updated. BIOS is using the latest non Beta BIOS. I've messed with all of the Nvidia Control Panel settings, including the power management option setting it to maximum performance. Tried G-Sync on and off, even though only one of my monitors has Freesync. I have used DDU to reinstall the Nvidia drivers. RAM is all running on the XMP profile at 3200MHZ, and PBO is enabled in the BIOS and in Ryzen Master. I ran Time Spy V1.2 and got a score of 12,908. with graphics at 13,882 and CPU at 9,239 which seems a little low for my cpu but not bad. (https://www.3dmark.com/spy/18004230)

Is this a case of waiting for better drivers, and these games just can't take the 3070 yet, or should I try re-installing windows?

Any help much appreciated! :)

Last edited:

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Hey everyone, I'm wondering if anyone else has the same issues as me.

I've just upgraded to a R7 3700X and RTX 3070 but I'm not getting the performance I should be getting in many games. (Old system was a 6600K, R9 Fury X)

For example in Battlefront 2 on Ultra settings I'm getting 85-90 FPS in 1080P (144hz monitor). Supposedly 2080ti's can get over 150fps at the same settings? Another game is Black Desert Online. I stutter heavily in it, but I'm pretty sure this is due to SMT on the 3700x. However I struggle to get over 100 FPS in remastered mode, and can just about push 144fps when idle in a relatively empty area. In Planetary Annihilation Titans I slowly creep down from 120 fps to 30 fps, while my friend with a 6700K and 1070 stay almost at a locked 60fps. In Shadow Of The Tomb Raider I get around 85-90FPS with ultra raytracing enabled, which seems okay.

I've tried turning down detail settings but this almost makes performance worse. In the case of Black Desert Online, by going to remastered mode I get more FPS than without it?!

My temperatures are perfectly fine, GPU never going over 63 degrees in games. CPU rarely goes over 60 degrees too; It is however running the stock cooler. I have 3200MHZ CL16 Hyper X Fury ram, MSI B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi mobo. All these games are installed on a 1TB Kingston A2000 NVME SSD. This is all in a Cooler Master H500 Master Case with the pre-installed 200mm intake fans, mesh front grille, and a 120mm Be-Quiet Silent Wings 3 for exhaust. And for PSU a Corsair TX-750M 80+ Gold (yes I'm using separate 8 p-in cables for the GPU, no splitters for me!). For reference my GPU tends to idle around 36-45 Deg C, and CPU is around 43 Deg C. I have one 144HZ 24" AOC Freesync Monitor, and 2 60Hz TV's flanking the side.

I am using the Ryzen Balanced power plan, all chipset drivers updated. BIOS is using the latest non Beta BIOS. I've messed with all of the Nvidia Control Panel settings, including the power management option setting it to maximum performance. Tried G-Sync on and off, even though only one of my monitors has Freesync. I have used DDU to reinstall the Nvidia drivers. RAM is all running on the XMP profile at 3200MHZ, and PBO is enabled in the BIOS and in Ryzen Master. I ran Time Spy V1.2 and got a score of 12,908. with graphics at 13,882 and CPU at 9,239 which seems a little low for my cpu but not bad. (https://www.3dmark.com/spy/18004230)

Is this a case of waiting for better drivers, and these games just can't take the 3070 yet, or should I try re-installing windows?

Any help much appreciated! :)
What's the gpu and cpu usage while gaming?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJXmg5oHz3o

Kv2

Feb 2, 2021
What's the gpu and cpu usage while gaming?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJXmg5oHz3o
I just loaded up Felucia single player Instant Action to test, and CPU was at 64%, GPU hovering around 85-90% @ 57 Deg. Edit: I noticed my performance slowly decrease as the game went on until it stayed around 75% utilisation. No idea why, it wasn't hot and was set to maximum performance.

Last edited: