Dec 28, 2021
I a while ago purchased a Preowned SX-500G, yes i know it was in a parts bundle leave me be.
Now this psu has over the last months of ownership gradually gotten louder, made worse when one time high voltage lines near my home exploded.
It's now a somewhat significant amount of noise, especially distracting during productivity as even just moving my mouse causes it to make more noise.
So not only is it noisy, but its also preowned.

I also intend to upgrade to a 6600xt, so i am worried that the larger power consumption will make the noise worse and/or cause psu problems resulting in damaged components
Now, the Psu i wish to replace/upgrade with is a Corsair SF450 Platinum.

My question is, is it worth replacing the psu, or should i be fine with continuing to use my preowned sx-500g?

Specs: 10400f, rx560 4gb (Soon to be 6600xt 8gb), 2x8gb, 2 ssds.
Thanks

Solution
Think you would be fine if you took the casing off as long as you stop there and not poke around in there with fingers or metal bits.

The Silverstone , afaik, has only 3 years warranty and came out in the beginning of 2018 so might well be out of warranty by now and likely you can't use that anyway since you have no receipt, maybe another reason to start thinking about something else, but maybe also makes it an easier thought to open it up. Like i said only take casing off, no poking around. Forgot to say and blow it out.

For safety of course never ever with psu connected to wallsocket, you probably realize, but to be sure.

Lutfij

Titan
You could try and inspect the PSU(without disassembling it) and blowing out any dust/debris/.bust bunnies from the innards of the case with a can of compressed air or a blower(if you're in a low humidity region, then the latter is a no-no). How old is the PSU in question?

You should be looking at a reliably built 650W unit in order to have headroom.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Which shop are you looking at? Maybe we can see if there is something quality wise about as good as the Corsair for roughly the same amount of money, some thing with alittle more headroom if you wanted to upgrade again in time.

Last edited:
I a while ago purchased a Preowned SX-500G, yes i know it was in a parts bundle leave me be.
Now this psu has over the last months of ownership gradually gotten louder, made worse when one time high voltage lines near my home exploded.
It's now a somewhat significant amount of noise, especially distracting during productivity as even just moving my mouse causes it to make more noise.
So not only is it noisy, but its also preowned.

I also intend to upgrade to a 6600xt, so i am worried that the larger power consumption will make the noise worse and/or cause psu problems resulting in damaged components
Now, the Psu i wish to replace/upgrade with is a Corsair SF450 Platinum.

My question is, is it worth replacing the psu, or should i be fine with continuing to use my preowned sx-500g?

Specs: 10400f, rx560 4gb (Soon to be 6600xt 8gb), 2x8gb, 2 ssds.
Thanks
I would not get anything smaller than 500w and a little bigger won't hurt.

Give the old psu a few shots of air from both directions see if it helps.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Think you would be fine if you took the casing off as long as you stop there and not poke around in there with fingers or metal bits.

The Silverstone , afaik, has only 3 years warranty and came out in the beginning of 2018 so might well be out of warranty by now and likely you can't use that anyway since you have no receipt, maybe another reason to start thinking about something else, but maybe also makes it an easier thought to open it up. Like i said only take casing off, no poking around. Forgot to say and blow it out.

For safety of course never ever with psu connected to wallsocket, you probably realize, but to be sure.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS