[SOLVED] Would a Xeon E3 1220 Bottleneck RX 470/570?

Jul 9, 2020
I'm getting a Rx 470/570(Depending on my budget and the price). I got a Xeon E3 1220 CPU and i don't really think it's a very powerful cpu so I'm also thinking of upgrading it first. I'm just aiming for a 60 hz 1080p med-high settings experience so it's fine if it'll just bottleneck a little bit. So should i get the gpu or not?

Solution
I'm getting a Rx 470/570(Depending on my budget and the price). I got a Xeon E3 1220 CPU and i don't really think it's a very powerful cpu so I'm also thinking of upgrading it first. I'm just aiming for a 60 hz 1080p med-high settings experience so it's fine if it'll just bottleneck a little bit. So should i get the gpu or not?
Xeon E3 1220 weaker than i5 2400. In some games the 2400 be bottlenecked by RX570, so Xeon will be worse.
If you want to buy, just do it. You can upgrade the CPU later.
Xeon E3 1220 weaker than i5 2400. In some games the 2400 be bottlenecked by RX570, so Xeon will be worse.
If you want to buy, just do it. You can upgrade the CPU later.

Solution

Allyboi

Prominent
Jun 30, 2020
Yes the xeon e3 1220 will bottleneck the system, try going for a i5 2500k and choosing slightly (2-5%slower) gpu to save money or just keep the rx gpu's.

Reactions: weebntwtfitaken
Jun 29, 2020
Yes that 1220 will bottle neck because it’s a quad sandybridge maybe go for a higher clocked e3 like e3 1270v2 . I have a e3 1265lv1 with a gtx 1650 super when I play overwatch gpu is at 99% usage and cpu is around 70%-80% usage . That 1220 is a quad if you wanna find a e3 4c/8t . Oh v1 is sandybridge and v2 are the ivybridge. And versions with ending 5 means it comes with igpu. Also if there an L at the end like mines 1265L means low power = lower base clock= stay away lol. I tested this with my e3 1265l and my i5 3470 the i5 would be pegged to 99% usage and I would get suttering in games .
I also have a i5 2400 but didn’t bother to test that one is the i5 ivy bridge have me stuttering in games . Needed to lower the graphics level . I got my e3 off of eBay for like 50 bucks I should have spent 10 bucks more and get the e3 1270 v2 higher clock speeds and little better ipc

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the game, how much system RAM you have, etc.

The RX570 is good for medium settings at 1080p @ 60fps on average. Some games are more CPU intensive, some are more GPU intensive.

Throw the term "bottleneck" out of your vocabulary. When it comes to PCs, particularly "is this GPU good for this CPU" (or vice versa), it's been abused/misused to the point of uselessness.

Assuming you have a weak GPU now, it will definitely improve things.

If you're asking "can getting a better GPU (or CPU) while leaving everything else the same somehow hurt performance?" then the answer is a resounding "NO" - you'd be surprised how many people think that can happen.

The one thing I'd be concerned about is your PSU. Can it handle the needs of the new GPU?

Jul 9, 2020

The RX570 is good for medium settings at 1080p @ 60fps on average. Some games are more CPU intensive, some are more GPU intensive.

Throw the term "bottleneck" out of your vocabulary. When it comes to PCs, particularly "is this GPU good for this CPU" (or vice versa), it's been abused/misused to the point of uselessness.

If you're asking "can getting a better GPU (or CPU) while leaving everything else the same somehow hurt performance?" then the answer is a resounding "NO" - you'd be surprised how many people think that can happen.

The one thing I'd be concerned about is your PSU. Can it handle the needs of the new GPU?
I think so. It's a 500 wt psu, It handled my old rx 560 pretty well

Jul 9, 2020

Btw I can also get a used rx 580 8gb now. Just found this offer. You think it's a good idea?
I just checked that my mobo can support i5 3rd gens and i7 2nd gen. I think an i5 3570 would match with the rx 580 not that badly. So i'll definitely upgrade my cpu too in maybe a couple of months. The question is that will my pc run just fine till then? I mean, taking in consideration the replies to my thread till now, i get the answer that my cpu will barely handle the rx 570 so will it be able to match with the 580 at least a little? The 580 requires a 500 watt psu and i have it; So my only concern is the cpu. If i can just get a comfortable gameplay without any issues, i'm good with it and then I'll upgrade my cpu too.
So should i get the 580 right now?

Jul 9, 2020
Yes that 1220 will bottle neck because it’s a quad sandybridge maybe go for a higher clocked e3 like e3 1270v2 . I have a e3 1265lv1 with a gtx 1650 super when I play overwatch gpu is at 99% usage and cpu is around 70%-80% usage . That 1220 is a quad if you wanna find a e3 4c/8t . Oh v1 is sandybridge and v2 are the ivybridge. And versions with ending 5 means it comes with igpu. Also if there an L at the end like mines 1265L means low power = lower base clock= stay away lol. I tested this with my e3 1265l and my i5 3470 the i5 would be pegged to 99% usage and I would get suttering in games .
I also have a i5 2400 but didn’t bother to test that one is the i5 ivy bridge have me stuttering in games . Needed to lower the graphics level . I got my e3 off of eBay for like 50 bucks I should have spent 10 bucks more and get the e3 1270 v2 higher clock speeds and little better ipc
i'll upgrade my cpu to a i5 3570 in a couple of monthd

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I think so. It's a 500 wt psu, It handled my old rx 560 pretty well
The 570 is more power demanding, and the 580 is more demanding than the 570.

What is the brand and EXACT model of the PSU? This is very important, because there are some great PSUs out there, and some absolutely terrible ones.

Btw I can also get a used rx 580 8gb now. Just found this offer. You think it's a good idea?
I just checked that my mobo can support i5 3rd gens and i7 2nd gen. I think an i5 3570 would match with the rx 580 not that badly. So i'll definitely upgrade my cpu too in maybe a couple of months. The question is that will my pc run just fine till then? I mean, taking in consideration the replies to my thread till now, i get the answer that my cpu will barely handle the rx 570 so will it be able to match with the 580 at least a little? The 580 requires a 500 watt psu and i have it; So my only concern is the cpu. If i can just get a comfortable gameplay without any issues, i'm good with it and then I'll upgrade my cpu too.
So should i get the 580 right now?
Go for the 580 if you're sure you can trust the seller. Unless you were planning to get the 570 new. In that case I'd lean toward the 570, since new with full warranty is hard to argue with.

If you do get the 580, it MIGHT not be able to be used to its maximum potential with your current CPU . . but it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for a CPU to perform worse because you purchased a better GPU.

Jul 9, 2020
The 570 is more power demanding, and the 580 is more demanding than the 570.

What is the brand and EXACT model of the PSU? This is very important, because there are some great PSUs out there, and some absolutely terrible ones.

Go for the 580 if you're sure you can trust the seller. Unless you were planning to get the 570 new. In that case I'd lean toward the 570, since new with full warranty is hard to argue with.

If you do get the 580, it MIGHT not be able to be used to its maximum potential with your current CPU . . but it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for a CPU to perform worse because you purchased a better GPU.
I don't really know the exact model of my psu but it says "Arctic 500" On it.
I do trust the seller and i'll thoroughly check it. Run stress tests, benchmarks, etc.
But put that aside, If i do get a good one, will it be worth it? Will i see some performance difference from the 570 because of bottlenecking?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't really know the exact model of my psu but it says "Arctic 500" On it.
I do trust the seller and i'll thoroughly check it. Run stress tests, benchmarks, etc.
But put that aside, If i do get a good one, will it be worth it? Will i see some performance difference from the 570 because of bottlenecking?

Does the label look something like this?
Arctic-500-ATX-switching-power-supply-500w-PC.jpg

If so, then rip it out of your system and throw it away! That is not even close to actually being 500W. It shows 18A on the 12V rail, so, realistically, for modern systems, it's only 216W. DO NOT use a graphics card with that. I doubt it even has the PCIe connectors that the GPU will need.

Check the write-up in the first link in my sig for a quick, MUST READ guide about power supplies.
The second link is jonnyguru's list of "acceptable if you absolutely MUST get a PSU on a tight budget" power supplies. Note: if you can't afford a decent PSU to go with the GPU, then do not get the GPU yet.

EDIT: here is a bigger (but fuzzy) photo that more clearly shows that the 12V rail only has 18A on it: