[SOLVED] Would I run into issues mixing 2x8gb and 2x16gb same model and same frequency?

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
I have 32gb(2x16) Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200MHZ And I was thinking of getting 2x8GB of the same thing instead of getting that silly Light Enhancement Kit.

My question is will It have any performance decrease?
Would It be better to just save up and get another 2x16 or get the Light Enhancement Kit instead?
Are there any options I will have to change? I recall reading something about the more ram you have the smaller of a page file size your supposed to have.

Solution
It is NOT a good idea to mix RAM kits due to differences in Latency.

Here is an authoritative article on the subject: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...e-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-overview

Sell what you have or keep them as spares and get a single kit the size and frequency your CPU and MB supports.
Your choice of RAM should be chosen from the MB QVL to ensure they have been tested and known to work.

The Pagefile Quota allows the computer to perform smoothly by reducing the workload of physical memory, or RAM. Simply put, every time you open more applications than the RAM on your PC can accommodate, the programs already present in the RAM are automatically transferred to the...

Here is an authoritative article on the subject: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...e-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-overview

Sell what you have or keep them as spares and get a single kit the size and frequency your CPU and MB supports.
Your choice of RAM should be chosen from the MB QVL to ensure they have been tested and known to work.

The Pagefile Quota allows the computer to perform smoothly by reducing the workload of physical memory, or RAM. Simply put, every time you open more applications than the RAM on your PC can accommodate, the programs already present in the RAM are automatically transferred to the Pagefile.

Solution

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013

The Pagefile Quota allows the computer to perform smoothly by reducing the workload of physical memory, or RAM. Simply put, every time you open more applications than the RAM on your PC can accommodate, the programs already present in the RAM are automatically transferred to the Pagefile.
So I can't Just re-order the exact same thing I have and have 2 2x16s?

So I can't Just re-order the exact same thing I have and have 2 2x16s?

Many people try it due to budget restraints and they seem to work up until the point where demand requires the extra RAM. The system crashes and they wonder why. As the meat and potatoes article states there may be differing Latency or density causing a mismatch and hence a system crash. The Forum is full of these type of mismatch issues so save yourself from frustratioin and get a single kit.

What is your requirement for 64GB?

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Many people try it due to budget restraints and they seem to work up until the point where demand requires the extra RAM. The system crashes and they wonder why. As the meat and potatoes article states there may be differing Latency or density causing a mismatch and hence a system crash. The Forum is full of these type of mismatch issues so save yourself from frustratioin and get a single kit.

What is your requirement for 64GB?
I just want to fill the extra slots with RGB as I got the limited edition lian li x pcmr case and I wanted to make it look cool. (I also come close to using all 32gb of ram occasionally) And I thought instead of spending so much for the Light Enhancement Kit it would be smarter to spend a little more and get some actual ram.

I just want to fill the extra slots with RGB as I got the limited edition lian li x pcmr case and I wanted to make it look cool. (I also come close to using all 32gb of ram occasionally) And I thought instead of spending so much for the Light Enhancement Kit it would be smarter to spend a little more and get some actual ram.

If bling is your thing then go for it. If you have a need for 64GB then you have justification so long as you don't mix kits. There is a considerable lower price difference for the light enhancement.
Corsair sell them for about $40 per dual kit.