wwii carrier take-off with *full flaps*

eddie

Was watching a History Ch. special and it showed an F4U taking off
with full flaps during flight ops Leyte Gulf, WWII. I've always
taken off with 5* flaps (full on landing) What gives? Was this
standard procedure to use full flaps? I was thinking that a strong
head wind might have played a role. Whatcha think?
Thanks
Eddie, can't recall flap position when watching catapult take-offs on
the Bonnie Dick, 1959, but I don't think they were at 40!

Hi,

Don't know about full flaps, but I think it was routine to take off with
more than takeoff flap off a carrier. This gave a shorter takeoff run.
Since the ship provided significant wind over the bow, the slower
acceleration was not as critical.

I know that Doolittle's B-25s used a lot of flap on their takeoffs off
the Hornet.

Hope this helps,

"Tom Gibson" <noway@nohow.com> wrote in message

> I know that Doolittle's B-25s used a lot of flap on their takeoffs off the
> Hornet.
>
> Hope this helps,

Except for Ted Lawson flying #7. He forgot to put them down!!!
:)

Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot; CFI; Retired