[SOLVED] X264 encoder on OBS forces my i9-9900k to run EXTREMELY hot

Blensidi

Commendable
May 28, 2019
Not sure where to post this but basically, when I am using the x264 encoder on OBS, it stresses my CPU to such extreme degrees that my temperatures reach high 80s. If I use the NVENC encoder this never happens and neither when I just play normally. Only when I use the x264 enocer.
I do not know why this is happening. When I had my i5-8500 CPU before the temps never went up so high but using the encoder with that CPU wasn't beneficial either because the i5 wasn't really good enough to keep up ingame FPS and then deliver a nice looking recording.
On the other hand the i9 was able to do so but is running crazy hot and my PC forces a lot of Watt usage onto it, making it constantly hot. Obviously my PC will throttle the CPU if it sees that it's reaching high temps but having a 90°C hot CPU running is not something I want.
My CPU cooler is a Thermalright Macho X2 (similar to the Grand Macho) which is not a bad cooler I think. In any case, does anybody know how to resolve this issue?
I have also made a recording so you guys could see how it looks like when playing a game.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IK7sUrHp0M
(pls ignore the background noises, I forgot to mute the mic audio)

Solution
You are in software rendering mode stressing the daylights out of the CPU. Nvenc uses your Nvidia GPU's hardwae encoder.
The 9900 has quiksync but it has very narrow range of setting where it would kick in. Something Like VBR1 and a max of 4:2:0 8bit color.

popatim

Titan
You are in software rendering mode stressing the daylights out of the CPU. Nvenc uses your Nvidia GPU's hardwae encoder.
The 9900 has quiksync but it has very narrow range of setting where it would kick in. Something Like VBR1 and a max of 4:2:0 8bit color.

Solution

Latest posts