Question X570 AORUS Elite - BIOS Doesn't See RAID Cards

noonanb0404

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018
I just upgraded from my fx8350 to the Ryzen 3800x, so got a new mobo and ram and all that good stuff.
However, my windows 7 installation runs off two raided M.2 SSDs on a Marvell PCI-E RAID card.
In the past, I've just popped the card in and booted up, now this new board just doesn't see it as any type of boot option in the BIOS.
I loaded windows 10 on another drive, and I can see and access that RAID in the file browser along with my second RAID card just fine.
How can I boot off my RAID card on this board?
Thanks ahead.

The problem appears to be the energy management feature that is part of the BIOS. AMD has integrated the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI), in its AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture (AGESA) software in the BIOS. Windows 7 doesn’t support ACPI through this method. Also using a discrete graphic card instead of the integrated Vega GPU doesn’t fix it.

Unless AMD and/or motherboard vendors release BIOS updates that implement ACPI in another way, AMD Raven Ridge and possibly other future AMD CPUs, won’t work with Windows 7.

Reactions: noonanb0404

noonanb0404

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018
The problem appears to be the energy management feature that is part of the BIOS. AMD has integrated the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI), in its AMD Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture (AGESA) software in the BIOS. Windows 7 doesn’t support ACPI through this method. Also using a discrete graphic card instead of the integrated Vega GPU doesn’t fix it.

Unless AMD and/or motherboard vendors release BIOS updates that implement ACPI in another way, AMD Raven Ridge and possibly other future AMD CPUs, won’t work with Windows 7.

Thank you for the detailed response.
I ended up having to sacrifice the RAID cards and Windows 7. I now use all of the onboard SATA ports as well as running my two m.2 PCI drives via the onboard slots. The AMD RAID Expert RAID utility was kind of a pain to set up (These new BIOS really suck compared to my Gigabyte M5A99FX BIOS...) but I got Win 10 working with much considerable effort and probably 50 reboots.