Apr 7, 2022
Question: Is my issue indicative of a DOA MOBO due to a BIOS/Chipset Failure or other on my new build?
  • Making sure I haven't overlooked something here before I revert to RMA for the MOBO.
  • Dropping $$$ for secondary CPU/MOBO/Memory/GPU/PSU is not an option right now as I'm saving for a GPU upgrade.. assuming it's not my Dinosaur of a GPU that's the issue.

System Build: 85% New (PSU + GPU were pulled from last build)
MOBO: Asus Tuff AMD X570 Plus wi-fi (<- linked)
PCU: Ryzen 5 5600X (<- linked)
Memory: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Trident Z Neo - DDR4 3200 (<- linked) listed on vendor supported equipment list.
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 (<- linked and I know its a Dinosaur... waiting for prices to drop to upgrade)
PSU: Antec 500W Bronze (old but no issues in last build and tested connections prior to installing on new build)

Notes: Several older (8-12+ months) threads on this, all seem to be worked out by BIOS Flash via USB (for those who have the button) or AMD updates rolled out later for those who were able to boot. Asus released a statement in Spring 2021 stating they have already updating all AMD boards with the latest drivers and Bios to support Ryzen 5 CPU (5000 series) and marked with a 'Ryzen 5 Ready' sticker on the box (I made sure my mobo had it).

Issue: No Video POST Screen + Can't Boot to BIOS + Chipset fan stops after POST + USB Ports don't work after POST. USB power is good until POST finishes (lights on keyboard and mouse are lit then go dark).

Theory: Missed a connection/loose wires or Hardware fully... or WORSE... CPU/MOBO issues.

Troubleshooting Power/Cables: Unplugged PSU +switched off. Checked all cables and connections all goo but found loose 4-pin CPU power connector. Fixed it and attempted to boot...no dice.
Cleared CMOS jumpers via these steps:
Attempt #1: powered down, turned off PSU switch, unplugged power cord, jumped CMOS, waited 15 minutes reattached everything... no dice.
Attempt #2: powered down, turned off PSU switch, unplugged power cord, pulled mobo battery, waited 10 minutes, installed mobo battery, jumped CMOS and reattached everything... no dice.
Attempt #3: powered down, jumped CMOS, waited 3-5 minutes... no dice.
Troubleshooting Hardware: Unplugged, pulled and reset GPU. Plugged in and fired the system up... no dice (I do not have a secondary GPU to test). Before moving onto memory, I tried hooking up an SSD w/Win 7 to see if GPU would push video still, got the login screen but no USB capability so no keyboard/mouse control. Chipset fan stops working once I'm past POST. If I attempt to enter BIOS (Delete or F2) at power on, POST light for Boot stays lit even with SSD hooked up and wont load Win 7 Login or BIOS (black screen).
Moved onto memory, had set up in dual channel, pulled one 8gb stick, attempted to fire up, issue persisted. Swapped memory sticks, tried again, no dice. Attempted all slots with both sticks and no dice. Old build was DDR3 so cant try those & I do not have other memory on hand to test.
Moved on to pulling everything to start fresh. Unplugged everything, removed GPU, Memory, CPU Fan and CPU. Cleaned off the Thermal Paste. Checked the CPU PINS, all looked great. Checked the CPU slot, no issues there either. Reinstalled CPU/CPU fan w/new thermal paste, installed memory, GPU and hooked up again, powered on and no change. i d not have another AMD CPU to test.

Results:
No luck troubleshooting connections or hardware. Can't get video for POST screen or pc to boot into BIOS, only boots to win7 login screen w/ssd installed.
I am unable to BIOS FLASHBACK (not available on the board rear I/O or board itself.
Not secondary GPU or ADM CPU on hand or available to test say a Ryzen 3000 series or new GPU.
Everything seems like its a Driver / MOBO D.O.A issue or a conflict with ASUS BIOS update they said they were doing on all new boards to be Ryzen 5 Compatible.

Last edited:
Solution
Yes, old Windows 7 installed on different hardware would act up on new hardware, motherboard changed.

The USB Linux live is a good idea. If it boots up and works in Live Session and USB ports and audio works you can know the motherboard is OK.

Are the RAMs in B2 and A2 slots? 2nd and 4th slots from CPU. Have you tried POSTing with only one stick of RAM in the A2 slot (4th slot counting from CPU) ? The G.Skill RAM you have (F4-3200C16D-16GTZN right?) is actually in the motherboards QVL for RAM with Ryzen 5 CPUs here. So compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

When clearing CMOS when the CMOS battery is out, it usually helps to hold power button down 20-30 seconds to drain capacitors to actually clear the CMOS. Not sure if you have...
Apr 7, 2022
Win login screen stays up but no keyboard or mouse control, power only form all 2.0/3.2 usb ports until login screen, then no power except usb-c which will only charge whatever is plugged in.
Black screen when no ssd w/windows present. No POST Screen & wont boot into BIOS (pressing Delete or F2 per mobo manual).

Results:
No luck troubleshooting connections or hardware. Can't get video for POST screen or pc to boot into BIOS, only boots to win7 login screen w/ssd installed.
Do you have any other drives available, preferably blank. Since this is mostly new equipment there are most likely components which are not compatible with your Windows 7 installation or which would require additional drivers that you can't load at this time. If you have another drive you could try connecting that and booting a usb with the Windows 10 installer on it to see if that functions. Then at least you would know that all your hardware is functional and you just have a Windows 7 problem. Or with no drives connected you could try booting a usb containing a Linux Live distro to see if that boots and gives you keyboard and mouse control so that at least you would know that the motherboard and gpu are functional.

Win login screen stays up but no keyboard or mouse control, power only form all 2.0/3.2 usb ports until login screen, then no power except usb-c which will only charge whatever is plugged in.
Black screen when no ssd w/windows present. No POST Screen & wont boot into BIOS (pressing Delete or F2 per mobo manual).
I see two problems here then. One is no BIOS screen and that is probably caused by your GPU - AMD setups seem to be somewhat picky about what you need as a display device and gtx660 is not exactly new equipment. You can try using HDMI port on GPU if you are using any other but most likely to display BIOS you will need different GPU.
Second problem is probably caused by Win 7 as already mentioned by dwd999. And it is not even as much a problem of Win 7 itself as it is the fact that you are using system install done on some other machine. That rarely works.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes, old Windows 7 installed on different hardware would act up on new hardware, motherboard changed.

The USB Linux live is a good idea. If it boots up and works in Live Session and USB ports and audio works you can know the motherboard is OK.

Are the RAMs in B2 and A2 slots? 2nd and 4th slots from CPU. Have you tried POSTing with only one stick of RAM in the A2 slot (4th slot counting from CPU) ? The G.Skill RAM you have (F4-3200C16D-16GTZN right?) is actually in the motherboards QVL for RAM with Ryzen 5 CPUs here. So compatibility shouldn't be an issue.

When clearing CMOS when the CMOS battery is out, it usually helps to hold power button down 20-30 seconds to drain capacitors to actually clear the CMOS. Not sure if you have done that.

How old is the PSU?

Solution
Apr 7, 2022
Update: Attempted to boot with minimal components again, CPU, GPU & 1 Stick Memory only (tried w/each stick separately). Made it though Q-POST LEDs on mobo but still no usb ports working and no Post/BIOS screen just black. Jumped online with Asus and after running through a few more rounds of minimal component boots with them testing Q-LED POST and CMOS resets testing the board, result is MOBO ISSUE. So I am RMA-ing it today and it's back to shopping for a new AMD AM4 mobo for my Ryzen 5 after the refund hits in a few days.
Overall, good learning experience and was fun to trouble shoot. Thank you all for the insight it's much appreciated.