[SOLVED] x570 Recommendations

Lee_s

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
Hi,

I'm planning a new Ryzen 7 3700x build and I was originally planning on using an Asus x570-P mobo but when researching the board I keep reading a lot about high failure rates for this board.

So now I'm wondering if perhaps I should reconsider my decision.

I've been looking at these boards as possible alternatives:

Asus TUF x570-plus
Gigabyte x570 UD
Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Gigabyte x570 Aorus pro
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
MSI x570 Gaming Plus
MSI x570-A pro
Asrock x570 phantom Gaming 4
Asrock x570 pro 4

I'm not going to be gaming or overclocking with this setup, but I am looking particularly at the x570 chipset for PCIe v4.

I just wondered what people's thoughts and experiences were with these boards as regards build quality or any serious issues. And also what peoples thoughts are on the level of support offered by the manufacturers.

Do you agree that I should ditch the x570-P in favour of a different board?

This is the setup I'm planning:

Ryzen 7 3700x
32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz
Samsung 980 PRO 250 GB M.2 SSD
Toshiba 3tb P300 HDD
WD Black 8tb HDD
Asus NVidia GTX 1050ti
Corsair TX650M PSU
Corsair Carbide 200r case

Solution
Hi,

I'm planning a new Ryzen 7 3700x build and I was originally planning on using an Asus x570-P mobo but when researching the board I keep reading a lot about high failure rates for this board.

Asus TUF x570-plus
Gigabyte x570 UD
Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Gigabyte x570 Aorus pro
MSI x570 Gaming Plus
MSI x570-A pro
Asrock x570 pro 4

I'm not going to be gaming or overclocking with this setup, but I am looking particularly at the x570 chipset for PCIe v4.

I just wondered what people's thoughts and experiences were with these boards as regards build...

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
you are paying for expensive things like 980 pro SSD , 8TB BLACK expensive HDD ? 32GB ram and ignoring 12 cores cpu ?

looking at your GPU choice 1050 ti , this is not a gaming PC , get at least 3900XT for this system is more important than getting more expensive stuff . the CPU is priority .

Hi,

Asus TUF x570-plus
Gigabyte x570 UD
Gigabyte x570 Gaming X
Gigabyte x570 Aorus pro
MSI x570 Gaming Plus
MSI x570-A pro
Asrock x570 pro 4

I just wondered what people's thoughts and experiences were with these boards as regards build quality or any serious issues. And also what peoples thoughts are on the level of support offered by the manufacturers.

Do you agree that I should ditch the x570-P in favour of a different board?

This is the setup I'm planning:

Ryzen 7 3700x
32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz
Samsung 980 PRO 250 GB M.2 SSD
Toshiba 3tb P300 HDD
WD Black 8tb HDD
Asus NVidia GTX 1050ti
Corsair TX650M PSU
Corsair Carbide 200r case
You've one PCie gen 3 GPU...and only one PCIe gen 4 NVME. All the rest of your storage are SATA HDD's. Why is an X570 board so important to you? I can only imagine because of future upgrade potential since you're content with a 3700X CPU.

A B550 would do just as well for your setup and still allow future growth to a PCIe gen 4 GPU (not that it matters) and fully support your NVME choice as well as handle any Ryzen 5000 CPU when it's time comes. You could also save considerably with one vs. a decent X570, so you're that much sooner to the upgrade GPU.

Also, X570 boards have chipset fans and B550 don't. That's a major plus in my book (could that be contributing to the high failure rate of the X570-P?)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee_s
Solution

Lee_s

Prominent
Jun 1, 2020
You've one PCie gen 3 GPU...and only one PCIe gen 4 NVME. All the rest of your storage are SATA HDD's. Why is an X570 board so important to you? I can only imagine because of future upgrade potential since you're content with a 3700X CPU.

A B550 would do just as well for your setup and still allow future growth to a PCIe gen 4 GPU (not that it matters) and fully support your NVME choice as well as handle any Ryzen 5000 CPU when it's time comes. You could also save considerably with one vs. a decent X570, so you're that much sooner to the upgrade GPU.

Also, X570 boards have chipset fans and B550 don't. That's a major plus in my book (could that be contributing to the high failure rate of the X570-P?)

To give you a bit of background I'm currently running a core i5 4690 on an Asus H97-Plus board with 16gb ram and a nVidia GTX 750 ti, Originally when I built this 6 years ago I only had 8gb ram and an older GPU . The GPU was upgraded probably about 4 years ago and the ram about 2 years ago.

I do quite a bit of photo editing so I'm using Lightroom, Photoshop and other tools a lot, occasionally I'm running multiple VM's, other than that just general use e.g. internet, audio, video.

The 32gb memory I need for the photo editing mainly, 16gb is filling up pretty fast.

The PCIe v4 is more something I would like than an actual requirement. My thinking on this is that this build will probably last me another 5-6 years, so go for the latest PCIe v4 now and get the most use out of it while I can. I will upgrade the GPU at some point to PCIe v4, but for the moment I can at least get some benefit from it for the SSD.

CPU wise I've opted to go for the 3700x, I was originally looking at the 3600x but as there's not a lot of difference in the price I thought I would benefit from the extra cores. Yes I could go for something even better like the 3900x but I just think I'd be wasting my money as I don't feel that I'll really get any massive benefit out of it, I think it would be overkill for what I'm going to be using this for. I've managed to go 6 years with a core i5 4690 before I've got to the point where I need a bit more power, so I'm thinking a 3700x should do fine.

Although I do agree with you about the chipset fans, I'm not a fan of them either, in fact it's been a long time since I last saw a mobo with a chipset fan.