[SOLVED] x570 Ultra is not recognizing new WD HC530 HDD. Help!

Nov 22, 2020
Hi all,

I'm trying to install a Western Digital 14TB Ultrastar DC HC530 SATA HDD14TB into a Gigabyte Aorus x570 Ultra, but the drive is not being recognized in Windows 10 or in the BIOS.

I currently have an M.2 NVMe SSD installed in the M2C socket (WIN10 is installed here), which I'm aware disables some of the SATA connections. I've tried using SATA #2 and #3, which are supposed to remain active according to the manual. I've also tried switching SATA, and power cables, and changing inputs into the power supply. I returned the first drive I received thinking it was a faulty drive, but this one is not working either.

If it helps, I can't really tell that the drive is spinning up when I power on the machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Solution
Check whether 3.3V is present on pin #3 of the SATA power cable. If so, then you will need to place insulating tape over this pin, or cut the corresponding wire in the cable.
Nov 22, 2020
Spot on. That worked.

I recall reading this guide a few weeks back but it said that the HC530 did not have the power disable feature. Guess they need to update this?

At any rate, thank you very much for your help. Should have asked sooner!