[SOLVED] X79 - X99 - RyZen in 2021 ??

Aug 8, 2021
Hi ! i'm looking to build a budget PC, for different activities, like gaming, editing, multitasking and so on.

was considering in buying a X79 - X99 because i found some cheap deals or going for Ryzen because of upgrade possibility ( AMD user here )

i'll list them down for you so you can analyse and tell me what's best at this current time to get. (Keep in mind, i'm at a tight budget)

X79 - Gigabyte UD5 - With i7 3820 and 2X4GB DDR3 Ram, at a price of - 120 to 140 Dollars. ( I own another pair of 2400Mhz ddr3 )
(
Strongest compatible CPU, acording to Gigabyte is the E5 - 2680v2 )

X99 - Asrock x99 Xtreme 4 -
with i7 5820k and a 140W cooler, 2x4GB DDR4 3200Mhz, at a price of - 160 Dollars.
(
has more CPU's to pick from, fastest in my eyes seem to be, E5 2699 v4 - E5 4669 v3 but are not cheap...)

Ryzen -
either B450 for backwards compatibility or B550 Board Pro models, 2x4GB 3200Mhz DDR4 - 84 dollars
CPU'S
Ryzen 3 3200G - 89 Dollars (
could buy this and wait for prices to drop ? )
Ryzen 5 3600x - 160 Dollars.
Ryzen 7 3800x - 240 Dollars.

Worth mentioning that if i'd found a good deal on a strong Xeon processor, for one of them X series boards, i would deff Overclock them, which would give some extra performance. maybe even enough to beat Ryzen 7, right ?!? idk.
According to CPU support and using it as reference, i would get the strongest Xeon CPU only for the X99 Board, that is Asrock.

So my question basically is, what would y pick, if you'd wanted to build a rig at the lowest price but still getting good performance ?!?!
i personally was thinking to go with Ryzen, since they are energy efficient and have a good upgrade path, at least for now.

i'd like to hear all of your opinions, if possible, the more the better.

Thank you, appreciated ! :)

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd pick the Ryzen platforms all day any day over last gen tech. In it's heyday, they were worth buying, today, they're just more heat dumped into your room. As for your build, look at a B550 chipset board while going for the Ryzen 5 5600, if you can get that for a good deal. the rams if you're able to get DDR4-3600MHz, that would set you for life. Dual channel would benefit the Ryzen platform.

If I had limited funds, I'd get the B450 chipset + Ryzen 5 3600x and a 2x8GB DDR4-3200Mhz ram kit + discrete GPU(since the 3600x does not have an iGPU. Speaking of which apart from the 3200G, the other two Ryzen processors do not have an iGPU, meaning you're going to need a discrete GPU.

Lastly, make and model...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd pick the Ryzen platforms all day any day over last gen tech. In it's heyday, they were worth buying, today, they're just more heat dumped into your room. As for your build, look at a B550 chipset board while going for the Ryzen 5 5600, if you can get that for a good deal. the rams if you're able to get DDR4-3600MHz, that would set you for life. Dual channel would benefit the Ryzen platform.

If I had limited funds, I'd get the B450 chipset + Ryzen 5 3600x and a 2x8GB DDR4-3200Mhz ram kit + discrete GPU(since the 3600x does not have an iGPU. Speaking of which apart from the 3200G, the other two Ryzen processors do not have an iGPU, meaning you're going to need a discrete GPU.

Lastly, make and model of the PSU you're going to pair with the build? Might want to elaborate on the boards and rams you have access to. Location?

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan
Ryzen - either B450 for backwards compatibility or B550 Board Pro models, 2x4GB 3200Mhz DDR4 - 84 dollars
CPU'S

Why? There's seriously zero reasons you should be going backwards and it won't save you money, nor offer you any ground in terms of performance.

Worth mentioning that if i'd found a good deal on a strong Xeon processor, for one of them X series boards, i would deff Overclock them, which would give some extra performance. maybe even enough to beat Ryzen 7, right ?!? idk.

Nope. For one thing, Xeons can't be overclocked. Two, Intel stopped manufacturing consumer grade Xeon CPUs back in 2015. So you're talking about putting a 6 year old , 22nm CPU against a current 12nm or 10nm CPU. There have been siginificant changes in the manufacturing process since that time, and technology has been upgraded pretty much across the board since then. No way will these CPUs match up in terms of speed. You're putting a Hyundai Accent against a Maserati Quattroporte.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Of the choices you are selecting to pick from, go 5xx chipset on the 3600X or 5800X.

different activities, like gaming, editing, multitasking and so on

The thing here would be to prioritize whether the gaming or editing is going to be the main activity along with what you are using to edit as to whether it takes full advantage of more cores.

thinking to go with Ryzen, since they are energy efficient and have a good upgrade path

Yes, 3000 Ryzen is very energy efficient and if you choose the right motherboard anything in the 5xxx series could be a good upgrade later.

I will say that the 3200G would not be a good fit, however, I sure would like if they were available for that price here....last I checked they were going nearer $200, if you could find one. $225 on Amazon right now. All of the G skew Ryzen are FAR overpriced here right now.

I say go with ryzen as well. A 500 series board is a good idea, but even a good b450 board should be fine. I have an Asrock ab350 Pro 4 and am using a Ryzen 3600 in it.

If you for Ryzen and are looking between the 3600 or 3600x, I remember most at the time said get the 3600 because it was basically the same performance at less money spent. But that said, I’d plan on an aftermarket cooler for the 3600. They are good chips but the stock wraith stealth cooler I think lets them run a little warmer than I’m used to.