Question Xeon 1225v2 shows reaching 3.9 ghz?

BudgetBRO321

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020
i bought this xeon about 6 months ago, its 3.2 base and boosts up to 3.6 (locked?) , however while i was checking the perfomance tab on task manager i see it boosting to 3.9 and dropping to 3.4 and going all over the place, under no important usage, my motherboard has some issues, like a power loop after shut down, i wonder if that is the issue, also the pc does deliver some electric discharges on touch, is something wrong with my cpu or motherboard ? (my PSU is the most reliable piece of my whole setup, id say, seasonic a12 500w.)

shadowXXe

Reputable
Jan 7, 2017
What motherboard do you have? The CPU clock jumping around is just the CPU overclocking and downclocking based on utilisation and temperature, But the power looping and electric discharge aren't. It sounds like your motherboard may be shorting out on something try reseating it and see if that helps.

Reactions: BudgetBRO321

BudgetBRO321

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020
The discharges where a cable problem, and yes the power loop is indeed a motherboard problem, but im no expert and dont know how to fix it, however this pc has been working like this for years for the guy i bought it from and 8 months for me, i just power the psu off, anyways i just wanted to know if my CPU reaching more than 3.6ghz which is its limits would be dangerous for the cpu

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
In a word, no. Every CPU for the last 15 years or more has had inbuilt automatic thermal and voltage shutdowns. You can't damage a CPU by overclocking it, by it overclocking itself, or even by overvolting it. It will turn itself off the moment it even comes close to being damaged.