[SOLVED] XFINITY cut the ethernet connection to my whole house when I upgraded my internet, how do I fix it?

TimmyBuildsAComputer

Commendable
May 15, 2017
I used to have AT&T. They always had slowdowns and whatever and it was annoying the hell out of me so I decided to switch. By the way, my whole house was wired for Cat6 ethernet, since it is fairly new. So tech comes, installs the new internet. It works great, fast speed. So then I go to start my PC up to test it out there, and to my surprise, no internet. My ethernet cable wasn't picking up a darn thing. I was confused. I checked the wall ethernet port, all was good. So then I went to the networking box in my walk in closet. It looked quite different from when it was before. It seems that the tech snipped the wire that goes into the panel with all the ethernet cables to all the rooms, and directly wired the broadband to the service. Basically disconnected my whole home ethernet system from the service. I legit had no idea why he did that, but he did. It was a pretty crappy job too, I could probably tear that connection apart without any effort.

TL;DR: lazy tech disconnected my houses ethernet wiring from the service, what are my steps to fix this?

(edit: added image)
Yellow is the current cable that's being used. Green is the ethernet panel which has been entirely cut off. Red is the shoddy connection between the two. Right side of the yellow is the side that goes to the modem, left side is the side that goes to the ISP.
20191216_194027.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
From here, you have 2.5 options.

1. Rewire the whole thing yourself.

2. Contact Xfinity and have them rewire it. This may cost money, because they are not responsible for the wiring past the modem/router.

2.5 Contact Xfinity and have them rewire it. Make enough stink high enough in the corporaate chain, and they may do it for free.

Personally, I would do #1.
I legit had no idea why he did that, but he did.

In his mind he was being paid to hook up the service not wire your whole house. Should he have cut your cable to the main panel HELL NO. But in his mind not his problem!

You have to baby sit and be nice to get them in, do job right and get them out........................and sorry for your now issue!

I agree with USAFRet where were you. When we have installs like that I hide out of view anything except what they need to do there hookup. I put a computer ready right next to installers location and that's all he gets. We even cover routers, wire to house they get to see nothing else. If you can post pictures what you need repaired we can go from there..........................and sorry.

Last edited:

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Something is missing with this story.. There is no reason for him to TOUCH cat wiring to hook up coax based internet... BTW beng lazy would be not touching that wire, doing something with it was not being lazy but rather doing extra work...

I assume your talking about a inside a smart panel. Did you get TELEPHONE with the internet by chance, cus that would use cat wire to run the phone from one outlet to another in the house and that says you refused to just plug a phone line into the back of the modem if that's what happened, which left the installer with no choice but to take over the cat6 wire.

Without a picture of the "panel" its rather hard to advise you how to fix it.

TimmyBuildsAComputer

Commendable
May 15, 2017
Something is missing with this story.. There is no reason for him to TOUCH cat wiring to hook up coax based internet... BTW beng lazy would be not touching that wire, doing something with it was not being lazy but rather doing extra work...

I assume your talking about a inside a smart panel. Did you get TELEPHONE with the internet by chance, cus that would use cat wire to run the phone from one outlet to another in the house and that says you refused to just plug a phone line into the back of the modem if that's what happened, which left the installer with no choice but to take over the cat6 wire.

Without a picture of the "panel" its rather hard to advise you how to fix it.
No telephone.
Here's a not so good diagram;
ISP Service>Ethernet panel with a bunch of ports which is where all the ethernet outlets around the house go to>Wireless Modem/Router

He cut the wires so it entirely skipped the ethernet panel and went ISP>Modem and thats my current networking setup.

Edit: added pic on main post

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
From here, you have 2.5 options.

1. Rewire the whole thing yourself.

2. Contact Xfinity and have them rewire it. This may cost money, because they are not responsible for the wiring past the modem/router.

2.5 Contact Xfinity and have them rewire it. Make enough stink high enough in the corporaate chain, and they may do it for free.

Personally, I would do #1.

Solution

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
No telephone.
Here's a not so good diagram;
ISP Service>Ethernet panel with a bunch of ports which is where all the ethernet outlets around the house go to>Wireless Modem/Router

He cut the wires so it entirely skipped the ethernet panel and went ISP>Modem and thats my current networking setup.

Edit: added pic on main post

No idea why he would touch that, unless he thought he was doing phone or cut them when he was cutting the coax on accident.

Ends are not real hard to put on, but it does take some equipment you probably do not have laying around. Call in to 1800-comcast and say the tech damaged your Ethernet panel. Then when someone comes out show them it. Each state is different so its hard to advise you how it will proceed, in my state its illegal to punch down Ethernet without a low voltage electricians license due to POE. Some states you can chew on high powered transmission lines and no one cares. There are other solutions possible, but the smartest is just put 2 new ends on. If they are allowed to touch Ethernet they can just come back and put the ends on.

Last edited: