[SOLVED] XFX RADEON RX580 - No Display - What is the issue?

Dec 30, 2020
Just installed a new 800w power supply, SSD and this new Radeon graphics card. Everything powers up fine. Blue light on graphics card tells me power is connected properly. My HDMI monitor no longer comes on.

I've tried disconnecting the graphics card and when I plug hdmi back into motherboard, monitor still will not come on like before.

I pulled the 24pin connector from power supply and discovered one of the pins is completely missing. Is this the likely culprit?

Solution
Is that the PCIE connector or the CPU/EPS connector? And why is there a bizarre adapter running from the cable to the CPU power port?

Spsgx.png

Note that PCIE and CPU pinouts are very different. If you really are connecting a PCIE cable to your CPU power -- and again, it's hard to tell from your descriptions and the photo -- then the possible outcomes range from the PC not turning on to you no longer owning a PC.
Dec 30, 2020
if you have a Ryzen processor, it may not have onboard graphics so the motherboard port won't work.
pls include full specs of your build, you did connect the PCI-E connectors to the GPU and EPS (4+4) to the motherboard?

I do not have a Ryzen processor I dont think. I replaced the processor several years ago and have had no issues until new power supply and graphics card went in today.

This is an ASUS MSQ-M4A88T motherboard with 16gb ram.
Apevia 800w Prestige Power Supply
Radeon RX580 graphics card.
8-pin pci-e direct from PSU to graphics card (blue light signifies proper power)
4-pin pci-e direct from PSU to CPU
24-pin direct to motherboard
Sata SSD, hard drive and DVD player all connected.

When I reboot with either inboard graphics or new graphics card I get black screen.

The only difference I can see is the 24-pin connector on new PSU is missing one of the pins which I understand is normal now... however the older PSU was an Orion max 585W with all 24 pins in the connector.

Dec 30, 2020
I do not have a Ryzen processor I dont think. I replaced the processor several years ago and have had no issues until new power supply and graphics card went in today.

This is an ASUS MSQ-M4A88T motherboard with 16gb ram.
Apevia 800w Prestige Power Supply
Radeon RX580 graphics card.
8-pin pci-e direct from PSU to graphics card (blue light signifies proper power)
4-pin pci-e direct from PSU to CPU
24-pin direct to motherboard
Sata SSD, hard drive and DVD player all connected.

When I reboot with either inboard graphics or new graphics card I get black screen.

The only difference I can see is the 24-pin connector on new PSU is missing one of the pins which I understand is normal now... however the older PSU was an Orion max 585W with all 24 pins in the connector.

Also, at the 24-pin connector on motherboard, the red light is on. Are we sure that missing pin in the power supply connector isn't required for this motherboard? The original PSU connector had all 24 pins.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's quite possible the garbagey old one killed the RX 580. Or was it functional with the old, junky one? I think we're missing some parts of this narrative.

Also, are you sure that you're using a 4-pin PCIE connector in your motherboard? Because if you are, let's just say that it's Very Bad.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Also, at the 24-pin connector on motherboard, the red light is on. Are we sure that missing pin in the power supply connector isn't required for this motherboard? The original PSU connector had all 24 pins.

Quite sure. Unless your PC is an IBM from about 1984, you don't use -5V power. It was only included for a long time because it was still part of the ATX spec. The reason your old PSU had it is because it was not just a low-quality PSU, but an ancient low-quality PSU.

Dec 30, 2020
It's quite possible the garbagey old one killed the RX 580. Or was it functional with the old, junky one? I think we're missing some parts of this narrative.

Also, are you sure that you're using a 4-pin PCIE connector in your motherboard? Because if you are, let's just say that it's Very Bad.

The RX580 was installed after I installed the new 800w PSU. New graphics card was never connected to the smaller wattage PSU.

The PCIE connector from power supply to graphics card is 8-pin.
The PCI connector that runs to motherboard near the CPU is 4-pin.

Here are a few photos:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YVczybZIpKGpmvIATGD6fEVuv5o7KC9Z/view?usp=drivesdk. (right hand side you can see red light at the 24-pin connector. )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YXkpVZ87hXCo9zrORDlPqPMxD2mg15R_/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YO7l5-Ehn8SyimJBqUVYsPt1lml8OKVU/view?usp=drivesdk

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Is that the PCIE connector or the CPU/EPS connector? And why is there a bizarre adapter running from the cable to the CPU power port?

Spsgx.png

Note that PCIE and CPU pinouts are very different. If you really are connecting a PCIE cable to your CPU power -- and again, it's hard to tell from your descriptions and the photo -- then the possible outcomes range from the PC not turning on to you no longer owning a PC.

Solution
Dec 30, 2020

Spsgx.png

I have removed the 4pin extension connector that powers CPU and now connected directly to PSU.

For troubleshooting purposes I have also now removed the graphics card and connected hdmi cable directly to onboard graphics HDMI.

NEW 800w power supply still connected to everything else. Red light still on at 24pin connector and still black screen. Ive verified turning power on and off to monitor and after 5 seconds I get no HDMI signal still even with no pcie graphics card installed.

Updated photo of configuration: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YcF3azGPXUNTZWlGxCZPPgNZL5BHcIgJ/view?usp=drivesdk

Dec 30, 2020
Quite sure. Unless your PC is an IBM from about 1984, you don't use -5V power. It was only included for a long time because it was still part of the ATX spec. The reason your old PSU had it is because it was not just a low-quality PSU, but an ancient low-quality PSU.

Thanks for that info. I'm now officially baffled why hdmi monitor will not come on after new PSU install. Sounds like it boots, fans are running, everything is quiet, just no display.

4-pin cpu is connected as well as 24-pin.
I've tried removing the new graphics card, tried the old graphics card and tried straight into onboard graphics, still no display. Ive checked power to monitor. When powering monitor on it goes straight to no signal .

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020
SOLVED!!

I went back to the basics. I disconnected all peripherals except monitor and took the memory sticks down to 1, reboot and bam, monitor display no problem.
Started plugging things back in one-by-one with no issue.

My suspicion was that I may have knocked one of the memory sticks loose during installs and wasn't registering properly.

Drivers now updated and back in business. Thanks for your help along the way!

TRENDING THREADS