[SOLVED] XMP BSOD? Crash after seemingly normal operation.

Jan 28, 2022
A link to my previous thread can be found here.

To keep thing short, I clean installed OS to fix what I assumed was a bad install. Things seem to be going normally for a bit, then I crashed. I then created my previous thread.

I was advised to update bios, and disable XMP. I did both of those, and my system was stable for a few days.

I then reenabled XMP, and things were working great until just a little bit ago when I encountered a BSOD.

The dump file, and a screenshot from bluescreenview can be found HERE.

Any advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated, as I am unsure of how to proceed from here.

EDIT: An additional crash just has occurred, dump is located HERE

Full Spec List
Motherboard - ASROCK B550 Taichi
CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU - NVidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition
RAM - 32gb DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
PSU - PowerSpec 850w Gold Fully Modular RGB (PSX 850GFM )

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I'm not really sure I'd rely on that PSU to power the build, looks much like a replica of a Thermaltake SMART RGB PSU. You state 32GB's, do you have a link to the ram kit used? If it's a dual channel ram kit, what slots are you populating on the motherboard? Considering that you're on BIOS version 2.0 which is the latest at the time of writing, perhaps see if disconnecting from the wall and display, then removing the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes helps.

You state reinstalling the OS, mind sharing where you sourced your installer for the OS and how you fabricated the bootable USB installer? On a side note, you've also stated taking the system to a repair shop, did you have them run the system as you normally do to see if the issue was replicable at their end? If they did what you did and didn't find the issues you're seeing then the issue can very well be a grounding problem.

If you haven't, manually download all relevant drivers from ASRock's support site for the board and install all relevant drivers for the platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Did you try working with a donor PSU that's built by a reliable brand?

Jan 28, 2022
I'm not really sure I'd rely on that PSU to power the build, looks much like a replica of a Thermaltake SMART RGB PSU. You state 32GB's, do you have a link to the ram kit used? If it's a dual channel ram kit, what slots are you populating on the motherboard? Considering that you're on BIOS version 2.0 which is the latest at the time of writing, perhaps see if disconnecting from the wall and display, then removing the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes helps.

You state reinstalling the OS, mind sharing where you sourced your installer for the OS and how you fabricated the bootable USB installer? On a side note, you've also stated taking the system to a repair shop, did you have them run the system as you normally do to see if the issue was replicable at their end? If they did what you did and didn't find the issues you're seeing then the issue can very well be a grounding problem.

If you haven't, manually download all relevant drivers from ASRock's support site for the board and install all relevant drivers for the platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Did you try working with a donor PSU that's built by a reliable brand?

Power supply is just Microcenter's in house brand as far as I understood at the time of purchase. When I brought my PC to a local technician, he had nothing to say about the power supply other than all voltages were well within normal range. I've also got everything plugged into a 1000w UPS since brownouts are frequent in my area. It very well may be the PSU but I haven't directly seen anything that would be pointing to a PSU reliability issue.

I'll complete a CMOS removal/reset in the morning, as well as unplugging everything from the UPS, and report back with any stability changes.

I sourced the OS directly from Microsoft's website, with a legitimate, non grey market key that I own. I created the bootable USB (128gb PNY USB3.0) as one normally would using the 'Create Windows 10 installation media' tool. I ran the installer as normal, and encountered zero issues during my install.

The local tech ran the system as I normally would, yes. My issue isn't one I am easily able to replicate, and they were not able to replicate it within 48 hours of having my PC. There is not one or two things I can do to induce a crash. They seem to be entirely at random, could be at the desktop or in the middle of a youtube video. The only place I haven't experienced a BSOD funnily enough is in demanding games.

Local tech also performed a lot of the same tests I would, GPU and CPU benchmarks, SSD tests, RAM tests, voltage tests. The only oddity he reported was that my PC 'locked up' once during memtest86, without reporting an error. This lockup occurred on older ram I was using at the time. When I got my PC back from the tech in late mid-late November, I replaced/upgraded my RAM to my current 32gb kit to see if that would help with stability.

Since upgrading my RAM to 32gb, I have personally ran memtest86 in single and dual channel passes. Memtest detected zero errors in all of my passes in any configuration. I am populating slots B2 and A2, running in dual channel.

Link to where I purchased my kit can be found HERE, and the manufacturer link can be found HERE

I manually installed all relevant drivers from ASRock's site after my windows install. Do you recommend reinstalling them to be safe?

As a side note, updated my NVidia gameready drivers a few hours ago, and things have been stable since then.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
A link to my previous thread can be found here.

To keep thing short, I clean installed OS to fix what I assumed was a bad install. Things seem to be going normally for a bit, then I crashed. I then created my previous thread.

I was advised to update bios, and disable XMP. I did both of those, and my system was stable for a few days.

I then reenabled XMP, and things were working great until just a little bit ago when I encountered a BSOD.

The dump file, and a screenshot from bluescreenview can be found HERE.

Any advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated, as I am unsure of how to proceed from here.

EDIT: An additional crash just has occurred, dump is located HERE

Full Spec List
Motherboard - ASROCK B550 Taichi
CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU - NVidia GTX 1070 Founders Edition
RAM - 32gb DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
PSU - PowerSpec 850w Gold Fully Modular RGB (PSX 850GFM )
If you run out of stuff to try go manual with the ram speed and bring it down one notch.

Jan 28, 2022
If you run out of stuff to try go manual with the ram speed and bring it down one notch.

So far that is exactly what I've done.

System so far runs 100% stable without XMP enabled.

I'm going to continue to run the system for a week without XMP enabled just to verify that was indeed my problem, and there isn't anything additional acting up.

I think it's just user error. I was ignorant during the holidays and sprung on a good deal and I did not check ASRock's site to make sure my kit was specifically supported. You bet from now on I will be reading the QVL like a holy text before buying any more RAM.

I think it's just going to be a matter of figuring out how to manually OC everything and attempt to get the most out of my hardware.

I tried a manual OC last night and got an immediate IRQL BSOD, so I know more tweaking needs to be done.

Newbie question but is there a specific area of the forums where I could make a thread and ask for advice on the manual overclocking process? First time I've done anything like this so I am a bit nervous. Already had to reset CMOS twice, lol.

So far that is exactly what I've done.

System so far runs 100% stable without XMP enabled.

I'm going to continue to run the system for a week without XMP enabled just to verify that was indeed my problem, and there isn't anything additional acting up.

I think it's just user error. I was ignorant during the holidays and sprung on a good deal and I did not check ASRock's site to make sure my kit was specifically supported. You bet from now on I will be reading the QVL like a holy text before buying any more RAM.

I think it's just going to be a matter of figuring out how to manually OC everything and attempt to get the most out of my hardware.

I tried a manual OC last night and got an immediate IRQL BSOD, so I know more tweaking needs to be done.

Newbie question but is there a specific area of the forums where I could make a thread and ask for advice on the manual overclocking process? First time I've done anything like this so I am a bit nervous. Already had to reset CMOS twice, lol.
As for manually adjusting ram speed post in the memory forum.
I'm sure their are folks who have played in that area.

Jan 28, 2022
Curious, is this the ram you have - https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW32GX4M2D3600C18
If I search the Corsair website for your Motherboard it shows that ram plus a few others that Corsair checked the combo with - link

it is strange for Corsair ram not to be compatible
XMP isn't guaranteed to work, it is an overclock after all.

Sorry about the delayed reply, had some family coming into town.

I checked that list and indeed, it does show that RAM and a few others as compatible, however on ASRock's site and QVL list. I didn't actually see my exact kit (CMW32GX4M2D3600C18) there. It seems as if Corsair and ASRock are at a bit of a disconnect somehow.

Although today my PC crashed with XMP disabled while I was launching a game. Kernel and windows explorer related. I'm thoroughly stumped as to what could be causing these issues. XMP seemed to be the culprit at first, and my system is much more stable without it on but there is clearly something wrong.

Link to the the dump of my most recent crash can be found here

Colif

Win 11 Master
that isn't a dump, that is a results page of a dump. Dump files can include driver names.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

APC (Asynchronous Procedure Call) mismatch isn't obviously a ram error. It could be a driver.

Jan 28, 2022
that isn't a dump, that is a results page of a dump. Dump files can include driver names.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
APC (Asynchronous Procedure Call) mismatch isn't obviously a ram error. It could be a driver.
My apologies about posting the wrong information and wasting your time. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction and taking time out of your day/night to help me.

I just got home from work and read your post. Dumps files from crashes that happened without XMP enabled can be found HERE

Dump files from crashes with XMP enabled can be found HERE

Thanks again, I truly appreciate your input and help.

Jan 28, 2022
no problem, I have to wait for someone to convert them anyway and he is likely asleep now. He will reply alter with a conversion I can read to look at results.

no need to apologise, take your time, its your thread :)

Thank you so much! Things have been stable since those two crashes funnily enough.

Been using the system as normal, ran cinebench and OCCT's psu test and both seem alright, no failures or crashes. Going to let Heaven run for a few as well. May perform another memtest overnight just for my own mental state lol

Thanks again, I'll await your reply :)

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/7vxeotdp/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:020322-5125-01.dmp (Feb 3 2022 - 19:15:11)
Bugcheck:APC_INDEX_MISMATCH (1)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: explorer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 50 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)

File information:020322-5109-01.dmp (Feb 3 2022 - 20:40:42)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 25 Min(s), and 01 Sec(s)

File information:020222-6234-01.dmp (Feb 2 2022 - 05:11:51)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: CitiesSkylines.e)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

File information:020222-4796-01.dmp (Feb 2 2022 - 05:55:48)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: HxA)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 49 Sec(s)

File information:020122-6234-01.dmp (Feb 2 2022 - 00:38:37)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process running at time of crash: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 49 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)
System page: https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/For-Gaming/TUF-Gaming/2021-ASUS-TUF-Dash-F15/
You have the latest BIOS already installed.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjwolls
Jan 28, 2022
Good luck.

Had to severely edit your post to be able to reply, my post above this one. My apologies.

For some reason I cannot reply to your post without is being regarded as spam.

Thank you! I see memory corruption as a common thread. Anything I can do to remedy or is it usually result of hardware failure?

Colif

Win 11 Master
memory corruption appears in a lot of BSOD I see, not all are hardware. It can just be drivers.

the last BSSOD blames the Nvidia gpu driver
It seems the Jan drivers aren't much better than the December ones were.
I would suggest running DDU in safe mode and reinstall newest Nvidia drivers.
I feel like I use this link every day - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

the 3rd BSOD could also be GPU based on victim being a game.

For some reason I cannot reply to your post without is being regarded as spam.
were you adding any links to the reply? there are some sites the forums think are spam. If not, I can get someone to look at it. It is odd.

Jan 28, 2022
memory corruption appears in a lot of BSOD I see, not all are hardware. It can just be drivers.

the last BSSOD blames the Nvidia gpu driver
It seems the Jan drivers aren't much better than the December ones were.
I would suggest running DDU in safe mode and reinstall newest Nvidia drivers.
I feel like I use this link every day - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

the 3rd BSOD could also be GPU based on victim being a game.

were you adding any links to the reply? there are some sites the forums think are spam. If not, I can get someone to look at it. It is odd.
Hey Colif, thanks for the tutorial. I haven't had time until tonight to get on and try it out but that's what I am going to attempt now and I'll update this thread if my stability improves.

Is there anything else you would suggest to do at this time?

Also, ever since I updated my bios, memtest will not boot. My other bootable USB's work, just not memtest
I'm going to try a few different USB's tomorrow to see if that is an issue, but I thought I would mention it.

Last edited:
memtest doesnt really stress test you ram, it does some random patterns, during my overclocking adventure memtest barely catched anything...maybe on 4th pass some random bit error (after several hours of memtesting)...while stress test reported hardware failure within few minutes

your random issue might be voltage issue as runing it at 3600MHz may not work on every system
check event viever if you have any event logs for infinity fabric single bit errors, in system logs, if they are there, reduce ram clock to lets say 3400 under XMP or rise a little SOC, VDDG and CLD0 voltages
event id 18, source WHEA-Logger

run aida64 stress test for ram instead of memtest

dont forgoet to run Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow commands in cmd/powershell and do a drive scan with chkdsk /f
as memory errors can corrupt your drive data aswell

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022
memtest doesnt really stress test you ram, it does some random patterns, during my overclocking adventure memtest barely catched anything...maybe on 4th pass some random bit error (after several hours of memtesting)...while stress test reported hardware failure within few minutes

your random issue might be voltage issue as runing it at 3600MHz may not work on every system
check event viever if you have any event logs for infinity fabric single bit errors, in system logs, if they are there, reduce ram clock to lets say 3400 under XMP or rise a little SOC, VDDG and CLD0 voltages
event id 18, source WHEA-Logger

run aida64 stress test for ram instead of memtest

dont forgoet to run Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow commands in cmd/powershell and do a drive scan with chkdsk /f
as memory errors can corrupt your drive data aswell
Hello! Sorry about the extended delay. I just got back from a business trip tonight, finally able to take the time and reply to this thread.

I haven't been on my PC for days but I will check event viewer and look for infinity fabric single bit errors in system logs. I tried a few manual ram OC's but they all resulted in either a failure to post or a near immediate IRQL BSOD. Luckily I can always post a thread for help with that if I need any :)

I'm going to download and run aida64 to stress test my ram, since memtest86 no longer wants to boot from any USB I make since I updated my mobo's bios.

I'll also run the commands you've posted here again to make sure my data drive is not corrupted

I've also uninstalled and reinstalled my nvidia drivers, using DDU.