Abominable

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Hello! I am having an issue with my MOBO and XMP. I am not sure if it is a defective MOBO, or if I need to manually set up my RAM, IDK what is going on here, I am bamboozled. Here are my specs.

I9 9900 K
RTX 2080 TI
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZR
Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming
650 W PSU

Benchmark of my system: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23447174
---

The issue(s): PC will only boot with ONE or TWO sticks of ram. If I add 4, my PC will have 2 orange DRAM lights come on next to the DIMMS and stay on until the end of time.
PC works with ONE stick of ram in ANY Dim. It works with two sticks of ram in ANY configuration, although I have it in 2 and 4 right now for dual channel mode, as per the manual.
So, I put my two sticks in and boot up, it boots up perfectly fine, however, my ram is stuck at 2133 when it should be much higher. You can see this represented in the benchmark.

So, with two sticks it boots up "fine" and runs at the base speed for my mobo, which is 2133. A few days ago I changed my XMP setting to "XMP 2" and it caused my PC to not boot. Two orange lights came on again, and I couldn't get into the bios. So, I reset my CMOS battery and it still wouldn't boot up, and the two orange lights were on, even after resetting the CMOS.

So, I take out the stick from the 4th slot, and leave in the second slot ram, leaving only ONE stick in. Power it up, and then it boots normally. I shut it down, turn it on, go into my BIOS to change it from XMP 2 back to "automatic," where it was previously, but it is already set to "automatic" and not "XMP 2" like it was before I reset CMOS. So resetting the CMOS battery DID reset the BIOS, however, my PC wouldn't boot up with TWO sticks in. I'm a bit confused at this point, so I turn off my PC and then put the second stick BACK IN the FOURTH slot, and power it back up, and it boots. I was able to replicate this by setting the XMP back to setting 2, getting my PC stuck with the 2 orange lights, and then fixing it by turning off my PC and simply taking the 4th ram out and putting it back in. I have no idea how this fixes the boot issue, but it does. At least, it fixes the double orange light issue when XMP 2 is enabled.

So, with this in mind, I tried XMP 1. XMP 1 causes my PC to start, shut down, start, shut down, start shut down, start, "your system has POSTED to safe mode" and then I go into my BIOS and I hit escape (without changing any settings, XMP1 is still enabled) and my PC boots once I escape out of the BIOS screen. However, even though XMP1 is enabled and it will boot when I hit escape in the BIOS, it obviously does not run at the speeds it should, it is stuck at 2133 mhz. With XMP on my PC will boot cycle 3 times and then POST every time i turn it on and off. I also notice that, with XMP 1 on and my ram still running at 2133mhz, my FPS in games is actually WORSE than when I just go into my BIOS and set it to "automatic." Also, when it is set to "automatic," when I boot up my PC there are no boot loops, no errors, nothing at all. XMP 2 won't even POST or get past the two orange lights.

It just won't run with 4 sticks of ram in it, refuses to boot past 2 orange lights on XMP2, and XMP1 causes boot loops, and will only start up right when set to "automatic."
I can't figure this out. I have tried manually changing the settings without using XMP, but still no luck. I could be setting them wrong, though, I'm new to messing with the bios settings. Any help would be appreciated, as this is driving me nuts, especially with how expensive this build has been.

*MOBO has been flashed to the latest version
*RAM STICKS ARE NOT BAD
DIMM slots are not bad, they all work with a single stick of ram, OR if I use dual channel in 1,3 or in 2,4. But NOT with 4 sticks? *causes 2 orange lights
*CPU pins are not bent, I have checked.
*I have loosened the CPU cooler, but this has done nothing.
*RAM STICKS ARE NOT, NOT, NOT BAD. THEY ARE MATCHED, THEY ARE NOT BAD. GOOD RAM. RAM GOOD. I have tested them in my other (old) PC, as well as in my friends. They're fine. It's just with this build.
*No temp issues when I am playing games
*FPS is great, and benchmarks seem great, just can't get my ram to go up!
*PC only boots normally, with "automatic" enabled for my ram, which limits it to 2133mhz.
*Have not been able to get it to speed up by changing stuff manually in BIOS, but I could be messing it up, I'm not too familiar with it but I'm not a total rookie.

I am trying to think of any more info you guys may need, but I can' think of any. I've been trouble shooting this one for a few weeks to no avail. I've just kinda been playing video games with it using the slower default RAM speed it uses when I select "automatic." As I said, my PC boots up with no issues with this setting and runs great. Even the ram runs good, but I wish it was faster! I need that buttery smoothness for CSGO!

Thanks in advance guys. Sorry for the wall of text, but I figured it'd save everyone some time with basic questions.

Solution
Turns out that I must have warped the board when installing it, and it was causing serious instability (go figure). I have no idea how I did this. It's VERY bent when you look at it from the side. once it's out of the case, and I never used anywhere near the amount of force it would have taken to bend this board. Or at least I thought I didn't.

So, I bought a new one, the same exact one (z390-e), and threw it all back together and she booted up like a champ. If anyone is having similar issues, maybe take your board off and see if it's warped. It seems many of us are having a very similar issue, and I kind of suspect that maybe a bad batch of boards got out or something. I really don't know how this thing got bent so bad. I was so...

Abominable

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
you bought rams which have tuned up XMP profile for two memory sticks, not four.
F4-3200C16D <- two sticks
F4-3200C16Q <- four sticks
so if u have issues with XMP, than obviously u cant use it

Shouldn't it work with just two sticks then? That's what I've been trying to get working, I gave up on using 4 sticks a while ago. I did a test a few mins ago, using only one stick of RAM, and the XMP actually works fine with ONE stick of ram in. But as soon as I add the second stick of RAM, I get two solid orange lights. Am I still missing something here?

Abominable

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
The two sticks I currenly have been trying to use are from the SAME package and they are a pair. I put the other two up becuase I realized that they won't be working because you are right, they are 2 and not 4.

So I purchased a set of 4 ram sticks and tried them, below is a link to that ram. It is a proper set of 4, and when this set of 4 inside I get the same double orange light and no post or anything. Same error I get with 2 sticks of bonded RAM with XMP on. But when I keep XMP on, using one stick, PC boots with no issues and that single stick is being OCd proeprly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WHF6YDN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The two sticks I currenly have been trying to use are from the SAME package and they are a pair. I put the other two up becuase I realized that they won't be working because you are right, they are 2 and not 4.

So I purchased a set of 4 ram sticks and tried them, below is a link to that ram. It is a proper set of 4, and when this set of 4 inside I get the same double orange light and no post or anything. Same error I get with 2 sticks of bonded RAM with XMP on. But when I keep XMP on, using one stick, PC boots with no issues and that single stick is being OCd proeprly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WHF6YDN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...3.1054750766.1578378294-1301893958.1578378294

The new RAM you bought is not in the QVL list of your motherboard (HX426C16FB3AK4/32). You really have to check this before you buy the RAM next time. You can't just install any RAM and expect it to work. Especially using 4 Sticks.

It is recommended that you buy 2 sticks instead of 4. 2x16GB instead of 4x8GB. It put less strain on the memory controller and getting the speed without any problems is easier.

You buy a 2x16GB KIT 3200MHz that is in your QVL motherboard memory supported list.

Last edited:

Abominable

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...3.1054750766.1578378294-1301893958.1578378294

The new RAM you bought is not in the QVL list of your motherboard. You really have to check this before you buy the RAM next time. You can't just install any RAM and expect it to work. Especially using 4 Sticks.

It is recommend that you buy 2 sticks instead of 4. 2x16GB instead of 4x8GB. It put less strain on the memory controller and getting the speed without any problems is easier.

Right. I made some mistakes with purchasing the ram, to say the least. However, shouldn't this ram: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232476?Item=N82E16820232476

work if I only use TWO sticks of it? I am not using 4, as I am aware that won't work since they are not all 4 bonded, they are only bonded in the pairs they came in.

I am only trying to get TWO sticks of the 3200C16D-16GTZR ram (linked above) to work right now. I am not tying to use four. And the two sticks I am using are paired, they have the same serial numbers. I am not using any other ram currently. Just two sticks of 3200c16D-16GTZR. I orignally wanted to use 4 sticks of the 3200, but realized that I messed up. So I just decided to go ahead and use 2 sticks of 8 and not 4. And I can't even get those 2 to work, and they are paired sticks.

Right. I made some mistakes with purchasing the ram, to say the least. However, shouldn't this ram: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232476?Item=N82E16820232476

work if I only use TWO sticks of it? I am not using 4, as I am aware that won't work since they are not all 4 bonded, they are only bonded in the pairs they came in.

I am only trying to get TWO sticks of the 3200C16D-16GTZR ram (linked above) to work right now. I am not tying to use four. And the two sticks I am using are paired, they have the same serial numbers. I am not using any other ram currently. Just two sticks of 3200c16D-16GTZR. I orignally wanted to use 4 sticks of the 3200, but realized that I messed up. So I just decided to go ahead and use 2 sticks of 8 and not 4. And I can't even get those 2 to work, and they are paired sticks.

You said it works when you put 1 right? Is it working if you move that 1 to the other slots? Might be a bad memory slot.

Abominable

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Can you please repeat this process for all the other sticks? It would really help to know if all the sticks are working alone in all the slots.

Okay, tested them each, one by one, DIMM by DIMM. Seems to work fine. They all OC correctly with XMP 1 as well, according to CPUz and a benchmark I ran with each of them. As long as it's just one.

The second I put two in there, it either boots up but then holds with TWO orange lights near the DIMMS, or it just boot cycles into "system has posted in safe mode." I should mention, when I put TWO sticks in and enable XMP, it displays two orange LED lights, the fans are on, the RGB lights on my GPU and mobo are on, but my PC just won't get past those orange lights. it just sits there like it's about to boot up, but it just hangs with all the lights and fans on.

Okay, tested them each, one by one, DIMM by DIMM. Seems to work fine. They all OC correctly with XMP 1 as well, according to CPUz and a benchmark I ran with each of them. As long as it's just one.

The second I put two in there, it either boots up but then holds with TWO orange lights near the DIMMS, or it just boot cycles into "system has posted in safe mode." I should mention, when I put TWO sticks in and enable XMP, it displays two orange LED lights, the fans are on, the RGB lights on my GPU and mobo are on, but my PC just won't get past those orange lights. it just sits there like it's about to boot up, but it just hangs with all the lights and fans on.

What other profile do you have in the XMP? Seems like your 2 sticks are working fine until you choose the XMP profile 1. Maybe you're choosing the wrong profile. Is profile 2 there?

Have you tried manually setting the memory speed, clock etc in the BIOS instead of using the XMP profile?

Abominable

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Sorry, I should have clarified. I've been working on this all day and I'm tired, haha.

XMP 1: Causes boot loop three times, POSTS to safe mode, and then I can exit bios and it starts normally. However, it runs at 2133mhz. This happens every time I use XMP 1, with 2 sticks.

XMP2: When I use XMP 2, with 2 sticks, it will "fire up" (fans, GPU/MOBO lights come on), but it won't boot or display anything on the screen, and there are two solid orange lights that come on and stay on for however long I leave my PC on. It just sits there shining two solid orange lights at me.

I have also tried manually putting in the ram settings, I put in the voltages, the speed, timing, and latency.

• DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
  • Timing 16-18-18-38
  • CAS Latency 16
  • Voltage 1.35V
(supplied by the ram manufacture)

When I do this manually, I get the exact same result that I get with the XMP 2 setting, solid orange lights. XMP1 just boot loops to bios then uses ram in dual channel but at 2133 and not 3200.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I've been working on this all day and I'm tired, haha.

XMP 1: Causes boot loop three times, POSTS to safe mode, and then I can exit bios and it starts normally. However, it runs at 2133mhz. This happens every time I use XMP 1, with 2 sticks.

XMP2: When I use XMP 2, with 2 sticks, it will "fire up" (fans, GPU/MOBO lights come on), but it won't boot or display anything on the screen, and there are two solid orange lights that come on and stay on for however long I leave my PC on. It just sits there shining two solid orange lights at me.

I have also tried manually putting in the ram settings, I put in the voltages, the speed, timing, and latency.

• DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600)
  • Timing 16-18-18-38
  • CAS Latency 16
  • Voltage 1.35V
(supplied by the ram manufacture)

When I do this manually, I get the exact same result that I get with the XMP 2 setting, solid orange lights. XMP1 just boot loops to bios then uses ram in dual channel but at 2133 and not 3200.

Well I guess there isn't much left to do. You can try to use the RAM by setting them manually at a lower speed. like 2666 or 2933 or you can buy a supported kit of 2x16GB where it's sure they will go to 3200 together. What happen if you try setting them at 2666MHz?

By the way the difference between 2666, 3000 and 3200 for a 9900K is like 5 to 10 fps.

EDIT : That F4-3200C16D-16GTZR you're trying is still not in the QVL list for your motherboard. This is why they are not going to 3200MHz when you use 2 sticks. Don't forget that all DDR4 base speed is 2133MHz. When you OC them it's all about the board and testing they did with the memory to be sure you can OC them and have no problems.

Last edited:

Abominable

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Well I guess there isn't much left to do. You can try to use the RAM by setting them manually at a lower speed. like 2666 or 2933 or you can buy a supported kit of 2x16GB where it's sure they will go to 3200 together. What happen if you try setting them at 2666MHz?

By the way the difference between 2666, 3000 and 3200 for a 9900K is like 5 to 10 fps.

I have tried using slower speeds, it does the same double orange light thing.

I'm not too worried about the 3200 and 2666 difference, but clearly something is wrong with my mobo or something if it's not taking 2 sticks of ram but it will take one. Could this be a PSU problem? Could my MOBO be messed up? I'm going to get in touch with Asus and see if they have any suggestions, I'm really starting to lean towards the board being faulty or something. I'm at a loss here to what could be doing this.

Jan 10, 2020
I'm having similar issues to you, don't use xmp, set a lower speed, 1.38ish volts, and relax the timings
2800 / 17-19-19-40 , then tweak away lowering timings, increasing speed 1 at a time, recording what you're doing.... it's a tedious task, I ended up finding it was just tRAS that needed to go 1 higher than xmp spec.

using g.skill F4-3200C14-8GFX Samsung 3200, 14,14,14,34

sometime overclocking the cpu (good cooling required) can help kick the memory controller in to gear and cope with higher memory frequency/ lower timing

I'd think your psu is borderline 2 with a 9900k and 2080ti

I have tried using slower speeds, it does the same double orange light thing.

I'm not too worried about the 3200 and 2666 difference, but clearly something is wrong with my mobo or something if it's not taking 2 sticks of ram but it will take one. Could this be a PSU problem? Could my MOBO be messed up? I'm going to get in touch with Asus and see if they have any suggestions, I'm really starting to lean towards the board being faulty or something. I'm at a loss here to what could be doing this.
Before you start tearing the system apart, run memtest86 with the ram in the system at 2133Mhz. If it passes the 4 pass default test that starts automatically, try to manually increase speed, set primary timings and voltage advertised for the kit. It's probably not the issue, but you may need to reseat the CPU by taking it out of the socket and placing it back in after checking for bent pins. I doubt this is the issue as you can use all slots with one module. The more likely problem is one of the modules is probably faulty so the memory test may reveal that issue or something is wrong with the motherboard. https://www.memtest86.com/

Abominable

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Turns out that I must have warped the board when installing it, and it was causing serious instability (go figure). I have no idea how I did this. It's VERY bent when you look at it from the side. once it's out of the case, and I never used anywhere near the amount of force it would have taken to bend this board. Or at least I thought I didn't.

So, I bought a new one, the same exact one (z390-e), and threw it all back together and she booted up like a champ. If anyone is having similar issues, maybe take your board off and see if it's warped. It seems many of us are having a very similar issue, and I kind of suspect that maybe a bad batch of boards got out or something. I really don't know how this thing got bent so bad. I was so careful the whole time.

Glad it's working now, though. Hope everyone else having this issue figures it out, and hopefully it's less expensive for you guys to fix than it was for me!

Solution

So, I bought a new one, the same exact one (z390-e), and threw it all back together and she booted up like a champ. If anyone is having similar issues, maybe take your board off and see if it's warped. It seems many of us are having a very similar issue, and I kind of suspect that maybe a bad batch of boards got out or something. I really don't know how this thing got bent so bad. I was so careful the whole time.

Glad it's working now, though. Hope everyone else having this issue figures it out, and hopefully it's less expensive for you guys to fix than it was for me!
This is one of the reasons why I rarely buy used motherboard if I have a choice of new. People lie and you usually can't prove this kind of thing was the original persons fault.

Latest posts