Discussion XMP in AMD motherboard

aviv926

Prominent
Nov 5, 2020
Hello, in the last year I started learning about hardware.
And today I learned the subject of XMP, a technology developed by Intel from what I understood.
But for some reason this technology exists in motherboards with processors of the competing company of Intel - AMD.

It's a little unclear to me why Intel would allow its technology to be in the motherboards and processors of a company that competes with it?

Thanks for your answer :)

I honestly wouldn't call it a technology. It just reads the values off of the rams spd chip and applies them.

Some AMD boards have XMP called DOCP but it does the same thing. My msi amd board says A-XMP.

On the reverse, my Asus X58 Sabertooth had an option for both DOCP and XMP. It said DOCP just adjusted memory but XMP optimized the system, whatever that meant.

Reactions: aviv926
XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) are just profiles that Overclock RAM beyond the normal JDEK standard through profiles and predefined overclocking configurations that are known to be stable.
It's not technology that can be owned and I don't think it was patented.

XMP and D.O.C.P (Direct Over Clock Profile) is the simple way of RAM overclocking, as manual RAM overclocking can be frustrating for some.
AMD developed their own D.O.CP profiles for Ryzen based systems.

aviv926

Prominent
Nov 5, 2020
I honestly wouldn't call it a technology. It just reads the values off of the rams spd chip and applies them.

Some AMD boards have XMP called DOCP but it does the same thing. My msi amd board says A-XMP.

On the reverse, my Asus X58 Sabertooth had an option for both DOCP and XMP. It said DOCP just adjusted memory but XMP optimized the system, whatever that meant.

thank you for your answer.
I read about DOCP -- (direct overclock profile) like what you say it is same thing like XMP.
But I'm sure Intel is a smart company, it may not have registered this technology as a protected patent?

Any one outside can use this patent for free?
If so, is Intel toppling itself?

Last edited:

aviv926

Prominent
Nov 5, 2020
XMP (Extreme Memory Profile) are just profiles that Overclock RAM beyond the normal JDEK standard through profiles and predefined overclocking configurations that are known to be stable.
It's not technology that can be owned and I don't think it was patented.

XMP and D.O.C.P (Direct Over Clock Profile) is the simple way of RAM overclocking, as manual RAM overclocking can be frustrating for some.
AMD developed their own D.O.CP profiles for Ryzen based systems.

so what AMD did, its to take a same technology and rename it to other name but exactly Characteristics?

so what AMD did, its to take a same technology and rename it to other name but exactly Characteristics?

Yes and I believe it came about when AMD motherboard manufacturers didn't want to pay royalties to Intel to implement XMP on AMD motherboards. It effectively uses the DRAM XMP profile to set up data rates and comparative timings on the AMD motherboards for a variety of SPD profiles.

Like MeanMachine41 said, XMP is just a standard that the RAM companies use to tell motherboards what overclock speeds a given stick of RAM has been certified to run at, and the motherboard companies simply read these values from the RAM to make it easier to set it to higher speeds. While Intel defined the standard for what information the RAM should provide to motherboards, it's not exactly some proprietary feature, just a way for RAM companies to tell motherboards what speeds they can run at. AMD defined their own similar standard a number of years back, but most RAM and motherboards just settled on using the XMP values for both Intel and AMD boards. "XMP" was an Intel feature name though, which is why the setting is often referred to by different terms on AMD boards.