Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Hello all,
today I went into a problem with my XMP profile while I was playing Division 2, the game is still crashing and I dont know how to fix it. I tried to manualy set memory timing to 15-17-17-35 1.35 - 1.40 V and still the same. So I turn off XMP and the game is not crashing. But the rams run at 2133 MHz from 3000MHz (And in games you can feel it pretty well) I´ ve got 2x8 gb sticks I have it in slots A2 and B2, like in the manual.
Can you please help me or tell me, how to make the rams stable at 3000 MhZ?

Thank you :)

RAMS-Corsair vengeance lpx black 16gb (2x8gb) ddr4 3000 (CL15)
MB- ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA
CPU - I7 6700k

Solution
So, I change a bit timing of rams from 15-17-17-35 to 15-18-18-35 and I´ ve got no errors in Memtest or windows diagnostic. I play now Division for 2 hours without crash, so I hope problem is solved. Voltage is 1.35 and I have finally 3000 MHz :)
First, test your ram using memtest86 at default speeds.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.
Next, try the test at 3000.

Are you overclocking your 6700K?
If so, I recall that there is an interaction with running ram at max speeds.
Back when, I recall accepting the tradeoff of a higher multiplier in lieu of faster ram.
I can not recall the details of the interactions.
I think it is more than simply increasing the ram voltage(1.5v is absolute max)

Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Okay, I will do a test ASAP and then I can let you know. I have my cpu at 4,2 GhZ (I have in bios option "Sync all cores. I tried just to adjust voltage. And now I´ve got bluescreen while playing(system_thread_exception_not_handled), but always I just got a game crash, not the pc freezing. I cannot that fully understand. Do you think 2133 MHz & 3000MHz is much diference in FPS etc? I can easily turn off xmp, but its bad feeling to run this rams at lowest possible fq.

Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
I tried to run rams at 1.29V and 2933Mhz, In division I was like 30 minutes, and the game crash not as previously. I run the Memtest for 2 hours and I had 3 Problems detected, so I dont know really what to do :/ And I tried to run the game at stock ram speed and there was stuttering and FPS drops, so to enjoy games I need to have XMP or higher stable ram clock.

Dec 29, 2019
I tried to run rams at 1.29V and 2933Mhz, In division I was like 30 minutes, and the game crash not as previously. I run the Memtest for 2 hours and I had 3 Problems detected, so I dont know really what to do :/ And I tried to run the game at stock ram speed and there was stuttering and FPS drops, so to enjoy games I need to have XMP or higher stable ram clock.
First of all, ram speed will not matter that much for most games, at least in your specs. What matters is the fact that is in Dual Channel configuration, and that's already set for you since you have 2 Rams.
Now, in your Bios, you might have an XMP profile there for you to select, when you activate that XMP profile, what configs does the bios shows you right after "saving & exit" bios? Can you show us a photo?

Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Yes I read somewhere, that the XMP for gaming is not such a differnce, but I can see many fps drops and screen tearing, when I have XMP OFF. I send the pics of bios settings, in "Saving & exit" is showed what changed, when I have XMP ON and the previous settings in save & exit was experiment at 1.29V and 2933Mhz , If you need another settings, please let me know, I will send that, I really want to solve that.

View: https://imgur.com/a/CKDB31o

Dec 29, 2019
Yes I read somewhere, that the XMP for gaming is not such a differnce, but I can see many fps drops and screen tearing, when I have XMP OFF. I send the pics of bios settings, in "Saving & exit" is showed what changed, when I have XMP ON and the previous settings in save & exit was experiment at 1.29V and 2933Mhz , If you need another settings, please let me know, I will send that, I really want to solve that.

View: https://imgur.com/a/CKDB31o
And now when you play you get crashes after this change? Screen tearing is completely related to V-sync not being enabled. Frame drops are most likely an issue with your cpu being in use for something else other than the game you're playing or could actually be that the game is high demanding in your cpu. If you install MSI afterburner and install rivatuner with it, can you get the OSD stats and confirm that when you get frame drops is also when your cpu load is higher?

Dec 29, 2019
I will do a MEMTEST and try to play Division, than I will closely look for the CPU usage and drops, but when I have the XMP, the game feels very smooth and there arent any frame drops.
When you enable XMP profiles, usually your cpu also gets a boost in frequency. That may be the reason why you are experiencing benefits from the XMP profile

Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
When you enable XMP profiles, usually your cpu also gets a boost in frequency. That may be the reason why you are experiencing benefits from the XMP profile
I have in bios at cpu "Sync all Cores" so that mean, that's cpu is running always at 4,2 ghz (turbo fq), have i change this option or the other settings? That can cause problems too

Dec 29, 2019
I have in bios at cpu "Sync all Cores" so that mean, that's cpu is running always at 4,2 ghz (turbo fq), have i change this option or the other settings? That can cause problems too
Sync all Cores only forces all cores to run at the same speed. If it wasnt enabled you could read 4,2ghz but only, for example, 2 out of 4 would run 4.2ghz. But that's a good thing that you have all cores at 4,2ghz and if your computer runs stable now with good temps, it shouldn't have any problem.

Hornstercorps

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
I played division 2 like half hour without crash, I will test it at night fully. But in MemTest64 I´ve got 2 errors and I dont know what to change :/ In photos below You can closely look at the exact Voltages in CPU-Z and see the problems from test

View: https://imgur.com/a/J4n9ctR

If you run memtest86 at stock settings and have ANY problem then your ram is probably defective.
What effects a defective ram might have are unpredictable.
Ram these days will have a lifetime warranty.
Contact the maker for a replacement.

Dec 29, 2019
Dec 29, 2019
If you run memtest86 at stock settings and have ANY problem then your ram is probably defective.
What effects a defective ram might have are unpredictable.
Ram these days will have a lifetime warranty.
Contact the maker for a replacement.
Actually memtest is affected by cpu overclock as well, it might be the reason he's getting the errors. It may also, as you said, be defective rams but I think the issue might be related to the NorthBridge. Also, do you have your bios updated?

Dec 29, 2019
Yes, my MB have latest update. Even with 4 ghz i get errors in memtest :/
Honestly, I'd prefer to ignore those errors as long as your system is stable in the long run. There's nothing off that could cause anything to degrade faster so that seems pretty good. Memtest is not the only way of testing your rams, corsair also has a software for that and you might try to give it a shot just to make sure if you want. But as long as practicality, it seems everything okay.

Dec 29, 2019
Ignoring a problem does not make it go away.
In the past, when I had a ram problem, Corsair asked me to test using memtest86 which is considered as the gold standard for testing ram.
The test failed and a RMA replacement was promptly issues.
The errors only appear when he uses the XMP, it could be related to the cpu or the board besides the ram, sending them to RMA might not be the best solution for him since he'll be left without a computer for 1 month.
If you really want to test your ram, the best solution is to install memtest in a USB and test it outside your Windows OS since you can never test the whole ram when using memtest thru Windows.
Only then you could isolate Windows OS as being part of the error. But still, the error might be related to the board or the cpu.

Dec 29, 2019
xmp is settings embedded in the ram stick that make the ram run at advertised speeds.
If ram does not run at rated speeds on a motherboard that is capable of such speeds, I would consider it as defective.
Your consideration might not be completely correct and only tests can tell. But since you seem too stubborn to understand that the issue might be related to other factors than the ram itself, I'll share this for you to read - https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/blog/how-to-use-memtest86-to-troubleshoot-your-memory

Stubborn... yes. :)
But your link is showing that corsair uses memtest86 and not memtest 64 which is a lightweight ram tester from techpower up.

I will concede that other factors can be the cause of ram issues.
Corsair support is excellent, and I would be guided by what the ram experts suggest.

Dec 29, 2019
Stubborn... yes. :)
But your link is showing that corsair uses memtest86 and not memtest 64 which is a lightweight ram tester from techpower up.

I will concede that other factors can be the cause of ram issues.
Corsair support is excellent, and I would be guided by what the ram experts suggest.
Yes, I never disagreed with you about the memtest86 being the best option. I was just telling the guy he needed to use it 'cause the only tests he' ve made were with memtest64.
Anyway, we both can add knowledge to solve his problem and that's something we should definitely agree 😉