xp reactivation after mobo change

JJ

Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt take the
extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that everything is back
together it won't let me activate. When I use the 800 number they say that
the product can't be activated. Please help.
--
Jack

jj wrote:
> Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt
> take the extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that
> everything is back together it won't let me activate. When I use the
> 800 number they say that the product can't be activated. Please help.

It may be too late, but do the phone activation number, and when asked
why are you activating, say you needed to reinstall, so you slipstreamed
SP2 into your installation CD, and then you were prompted to activate
upon reinstallation. Stick to our guns, and if you have a problem with
the phone rep, ask to speak to their supervisor.

You may want to learn how to slipstream a Service Pack and create your
installation CD from that, so you can tell a convincing story.

--
Peace!
Kurt

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:44:50 -0700, "jj"
<jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt take the
>extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that everything is back
>together it won't let me activate. When I use the 800 number they say that
>the product can't be activated. Please help.

If you system was purchased before March 2005

Try the key fix first that I found on the web.
http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/key.html

I would use the key listed on your machine. If kurttrail replies
here saying don't take this advice-don't listen to him.

Greg Ro

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP"
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt take
> the
> extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that everything is
> back
> together it won't let me activate. When I use the 800 number they say that
> the product can't be activated. Please help.
> --
> Jack

As the installed OS is OEM version provided by manufacturer, Microsoft is not
going to provide you support to reactivate it. You need to contact the
manufacturer for support, but in this case even they are not going to
support, because you have changed the motherboard.

I feel the only way is to purchase a new Windows retail license which you
can always use and ask for activation support, even if you changed your
hardware, just need to ensure you are running it only on one computer.

Humans

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please see if the following article helps:
>
> "Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP"
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt take
> > the
> > extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that everything is
> > back
> > together it won't let me activate. When I use the 800 number they say that
> > the product can't be activated. Please help.
> > --
> > Jack

JJ

Thanks for the replies but if I buy a new or oem version will I just be able
to put my product code in or will I have to reinstall the OS and lose my
data. Thanks
--
Jack

"humans" wrote:

> As the installed OS is OEM version provided by manufacturer, Microsoft is not
> going to provide you support to reactivate it. You need to contact the
> manufacturer for support, but in this case even they are not going to
> support, because you have changed the motherboard.
>
> I feel the only way is to purchase a new Windows retail license which you
> can always use and ask for activation support, even if you changed your
> hardware, just need to ensure you are running it only on one computer.
>
> Humans
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Please see if the following article helps:
> >
> > "Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP"
> > http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
> >
> > --
> >
> > Will Denny
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> > Please reply to the News Groups
> >

> > "jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt take
> > > the
> > > extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that everything is
> > > back
> > > together it won't let me activate. When I use the 800 number they say that
> > > the product can't be activated. Please help.
> > > --
> > > Jack

Hi

A changed mobo requires a 'Repair' install of XP. If the XP CD is OEM
version then the 'Repair' option may not be available.

--

"humans" <humans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As the installed OS is OEM version provided by manufacturer, Microsoft is
> not
> going to provide you support to reactivate it. You need to contact the
> manufacturer for support, but in this case even they are not going to
> support, because you have changed the motherboard.
>
> I feel the only way is to purchase a new Windows retail license which you
> can always use and ask for activation support, even if you changed your
> hardware, just need to ensure you are running it only on one computer.
>
> Humans
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please see if the following article helps:
>>
>> "Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP"
>> http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt
>> > take
>> > the
>> > extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that everything is
>> > back
>> > together it won't let me activate. When I use the 800 number they say
>> > that
>> > the product can't be activated. Please help.
>> > --
>> > Jack

JJ

This isn't sounding good. I already spent my lunch money on the mobo.
--
Jack

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> A changed mobo requires a 'Repair' install of XP. If the XP CD is OEM
> version then the 'Repair' option may not be available.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "humans" <humans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > As the installed OS is OEM version provided by manufacturer, Microsoft is
> > not
> > going to provide you support to reactivate it. You need to contact the
> > manufacturer for support, but in this case even they are not going to
> > support, because you have changed the motherboard.
> >
> > I feel the only way is to purchase a new Windows retail license which you
> > can always use and ask for activation support, even if you changed your
> > hardware, just need to ensure you are running it only on one computer.
> >
> > Humans
> >
> > "Will Denny" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Please see if the following article helps:
> >>
> >> "Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP"
> >> http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Will Denny
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >> Please reply to the News Groups
> >>

> >> "jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi

Have a look through the documentation that came with the XP CD. Dells's OEM
CDs are sometimes different to other ones. Failing that, contact Dell to
see if they can give you some more info.

--

> This isn't sounding good. I already spent my lunch money on the mobo.
> --
> Jack
>

> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> A changed mobo requires a 'Repair' install of XP. If the XP CD is OEM
>> version then the 'Repair' option may not be available.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "humans" <humans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > As the installed OS is OEM version provided by manufacturer, Microsoft
>> > is
>> > not
>> > going to provide you support to reactivate it. You need to contact the
>> > manufacturer for support, but in this case even they are not going to
>> > support, because you have changed the motherboard.
>> >
>> > I feel the only way is to purchase a new Windows retail license which
>> > you
>> > can always use and ask for activation support, even if you changed your
>> > hardware, just need to ensure you are running it only on one computer.
>> >
>> > Humans

JJ

Ok Thanks
--
Jack

Greg Ro wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:44:50 -0700, "jj"
> <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt
>> take the extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that
>> everything is back together it won't let me activate. When I use the
>> 800 number they say that the product can't be activated. Please help.
>
> If you system was purchased before March 2005
>
> Try the key fix first that I found on the web.
> http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/key.html
>
> I would use the key listed on your machine. If kurttrail replies
> here saying don't take this advice-don't listen to him.

LOL! Please be my guest!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

"jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt take the
>extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that everything is back
>together it won't let me activate. When I use the 800 number they say that
>the product can't be activated. Please help.

Your Dell Windows XP is a "BIOS Locked" version that is self
activating when it is installed on a Dell motherboard. Prior to 1
March 2005 if these versions were installed on a different motherboard
then they required activation over the Internet or by telephone.

However since 1 March 2005 Microsoft has blocked the online activation
of these Windows versions and they are also declining requests for
telephone activation.

Your only options would appear to be:
1. Replace the motherboard with one from Dell and try to find another
buyer (eBay?) for your Asus board if it cannot be returned.
2. Purchase a new license for Windows XP.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

In article <5DD95DF2-C09F-4C00-9A42-F7FFEAC72DB8@microsoft.com>,
jj@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt take the
> extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that everything is back
> together it won't let me activate. When I use the 800 number they say that
> the product can't be activated. Please help.

Here's the deal - since your motherboard died, MS permits a replacement
motherboard of a different type to be installed and still be considered
the same system under the OEM agreement. In your case, you need to call
MS, tell them that you have a replacement motherboard as part of an OEM
repair from Dell, and that Dell said you need a new activation key.

If you explain it, nicely, as the fact that you are replacing a
defective OEM board with an OEM board, it fully qualifies you to
reactivate.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:56:59 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

> In article <5DD95DF2-C09F-4C00-9A42-F7FFEAC72DB8@microsoft.com>,
> jj@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt take the
> > extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that everything is back
> > together it won't let me activate. When I use the 800 number they say that
> > the product can't be activated. Please help.
>
> Here's the deal - since your motherboard died, MS permits a replacement
> motherboard of a different type to be installed and still be considered
> the same system under the OEM agreement. In your case, you need to call
> MS, tell them that you have a replacement motherboard as part of an OEM
> repair from Dell, and that Dell said you need a new activation key.

Actually, this is not completely true: Microsoft's OEM policies
require you to fulfil the conditions of the OEM (in your case, Dell)
in replacing the burnt motherboard. The Dell OEM agreement requires
you to replace a defective motherboard with an identical one purchased
from Dell.

> If you explain it, nicely, as the fact that you are replacing a
> defective OEM board with an OEM board, it fully qualifies you to
> reactivate.

If your OEM CD is a so-called "Full OEM (generic)", Microsoft allows
you to replace it with any other motherboard. But if your OEM is
Dell, it must be replaced with an identical one purchased from Dell,
IF you want to keep your Dell OEM license.

Unless you fulfil the Dell warranty conditions, your Dell OEM license
will lapse.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 09:54:04 -0700, Ron Martell
<ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:

>"jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt take the
>>extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that everything is back
>>together it won't let me activate. When I use the 800 number they say that
>>the product can't be activated. Please help.
>
>Your Dell Windows XP is a "BIOS Locked" version that is self
>activating when it is installed on a Dell motherboard. Prior to 1
>March 2005 if these versions were installed on a different motherboard
>then they required activation over the Internet or by telephone.
>
>However since 1 March 2005 Microsoft has blocked the online activation
>of these Windows versions and they are also declining requests for
>telephone activation.
Are their any small claim court lawsuits yet for not being able to use
their legally bought system the way they want too against either the
oem or Microsoft? I think you should have the right to reinstall or
do clean install of the operating system withoout havinmg to purchase
another copy.

I think that may depend on which key you use.
On systems that don't require activation.

They key provided on the machine has to activate or you couldn't use
for a reinstall or clean install or only for 30 days. Microsoft said
they would always allow you to do a clean or repair install.

I can see people with vista being ticked off and not being able to do
a clean install without purchasing another oem copy.

>Your only options would appear to be:
>1. Replace the motherboard with one from Dell and try to find another
>buyer (eBay?) for your Asus board if it cannot be returned.
>2. Purchase a new license for Windows XP.
>
>Good luck
>
>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

There is a third option. hint hint
I would only do this third option if Microsoft would not help me.

Greg Ro

Greg Ro <webworm12@yes.lycs.com> wrote:

>Are their any small claim court lawsuits yet for not being able to use
>their legally bought system the way they want too against either the
>oem or Microsoft? I think you should have the right to reinstall or
>do clean install of the operating system withoout havinmg to purchase
>another copy.

None that I am aware of, but there may well be. The suit would
probably have to be against the OEM. The wording of the EULA for
these OEM versions is pretty specific about tieing the license to the
specific hardware that the license was first installed on, and about
identifying the OEM and not Microsoft as having primary responsibility
for all problems and other issues.

This change in activation was brought about because it was becoming
fairly widely known that a "BIOS Locked" OEM license could in fact be
used on 2 computers, one self-activating through the BIOS Lock and the
other with different hardware activated normally over the Internet.

>I think that may depend on which key you use.
>On systems that don't require activation.

Product keys are actually quite specifically coded and it is
(apparently) quite easy to identify the SLP (=Bios Locked) versions
from the product key. I am not sure if a SLP version would even
accept an OEM Product key for a non-SLP version that was otherwise
identical.

>They key provided on the machine has to activate or you couldn't use
>for a reinstall or clean install or only for 30 days. Microsoft said
>they would always allow you to do a clean or repair install.
>
>I can see people with vista being ticked off and not being able to do
>a clean install without purchasing another oem copy.

I think it is far too early to tell exactly what procedures will apply
to the activation of OEM versions of Vista

With XP it is the "different motherboard = different computer"
presumption that is the underlying cause of this issue.

In article <91tjg1h62s7avvhr023ujhg3ou0p421qi8@4ax.com>, dlmcdaniel2005
@yahoo.com says...

> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:56:59 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
>
> > In article <5DD95DF2-C09F-4C00-9A42-F7FFEAC72DB8@microsoft.com>,
> > jj@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > > Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt take the
> > > extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that everything is back
> > > together it won't let me activate. When I use the 800 number they say that
> > > the product can't be activated. Please help.
> >
> > Here's the deal - since your motherboard died, MS permits a replacement
> > motherboard of a different type to be installed and still be considered
> > the same system under the OEM agreement. In your case, you need to call
> > MS, tell them that you have a replacement motherboard as part of an OEM
> > repair from Dell, and that Dell said you need a new activation key.
>
> Actually, this is not completely true: Microsoft's OEM policies
> require you to fulfil the conditions of the OEM (in your case, Dell)
> in replacing the burnt motherboard. The Dell OEM agreement requires
> you to replace a defective motherboard with an identical one purchased
> from Dell.
>
> > If you explain it, nicely, as the fact that you are replacing a
> > defective OEM board with an OEM board, it fully qualifies you to
> > reactivate.
>
> If your OEM CD is a so-called "Full OEM (generic)", Microsoft allows
> you to replace it with any other motherboard. But if your OEM is
> Dell, it must be replaced with an identical one purchased from Dell,
> IF you want to keep your Dell OEM license.
>
> Unless you fulfil the Dell warranty conditions, your Dell OEM license
> will lapse.

Not true - any defective motherboard from any OEM may be replaced with
an identical or a different motherboard if no identical board is
available - please check the Systems Builder site if you don't want to
believe this.

--

Leythos wrote:
> In article <91tjg1h62s7avvhr023ujhg3ou0p421qi8@4ax.com>,
> dlmcdaniel2005 @yahoo.com says...
>>
>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:56:59 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
>>
>>> In article <5DD95DF2-C09F-4C00-9A42-F7FFEAC72DB8@microsoft.com>,
>>> jj@discussions.microsoft.com says...
>>>
>>> Here's the deal - since your motherboard died, MS permits a
>>> replacement motherboard of a different type to be installed and
>>> still be considered the same system under the OEM agreement. In
>>> your case, you need to call MS, tell them that you have a
>>> replacement motherboard as part of an OEM repair from Dell, and
>>> that Dell said you need a new activation key.
>>
>> Actually, this is not completely true: Microsoft's OEM policies
>> require you to fulfil the conditions of the OEM (in your case, Dell)
>> in replacing the burnt motherboard. The Dell OEM agreement requires
>> you to replace a defective motherboard with an identical one
>> purchased from Dell.
>>
>>> If you explain it, nicely, as the fact that you are replacing a
>>> defective OEM board with an OEM board, it fully qualifies you to
>>> reactivate.
>>
>> If your OEM CD is a so-called "Full OEM (generic)", Microsoft allows
>> you to replace it with any other motherboard. But if your OEM is
>> Dell, it must be replaced with an identical one purchased from Dell,
>> IF you want to keep your Dell OEM license.
>>
>> Unless you fulfil the Dell warranty conditions, your Dell OEM license
>> will lapse.
>
> Not true - any defective motherboard from any OEM may be replaced with
> an identical or a different motherboard if no identical board is
> available - please check the Systems Builder site if you don't want to
> believe this.

LOL! So MS can dictate whether Dell continues to support a computer
with a non-Dell Mobo?

I would think MS's Anti-Trust regulators would like to here about that
one!

--

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 16:43:10 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

> In article <91tjg1h62s7avvhr023ujhg3ou0p421qi8@4ax.com>, dlmcdaniel2005
> @yahoo.com says...
> >
> > On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:56:59 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <5DD95DF2-C09F-4C00-9A42-F7FFEAC72DB8@microsoft.com>,
> > > jj@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> > >
> > > Here's the deal - since your motherboard died, MS permits a replacement
> > > motherboard of a different type to be installed and still be considered
> > > the same system under the OEM agreement. In your case, you need to call
> > > MS, tell them that you have a replacement motherboard as part of an OEM
> > > repair from Dell, and that Dell said you need a new activation key.
> >
> > Actually, this is not completely true: Microsoft's OEM policies
> > require you to fulfil the conditions of the OEM (in your case, Dell)
> > in replacing the burnt motherboard. The Dell OEM agreement requires
> > you to replace a defective motherboard with an identical one purchased
> > from Dell.
> >
> > > If you explain it, nicely, as the fact that you are replacing a
> > > defective OEM board with an OEM board, it fully qualifies you to
> > > reactivate.
> >
> > If your OEM CD is a so-called "Full OEM (generic)", Microsoft allows
> > you to replace it with any other motherboard. But if your OEM is
> > Dell, it must be replaced with an identical one purchased from Dell,
> > IF you want to keep your Dell OEM license.
> >
> > Unless you fulfil the Dell warranty conditions, your Dell OEM license
> > will lapse.
>
> Not true - any defective motherboard from any OEM may be replaced with
> an identical or a different motherboard if no identical board is
> available - please check the Systems Builder site if you don't want to
> believe this.

Actually, you should have written "not completely true". What I wrote
was true in general for OEM licenses distributed by large system
builders such as Dell. End-users are required to fulfil the OEM's
license terms if they want their OEM license to remain in effect after
a motherboard change.

However, you do make a good point. What happens if Dell has no
identical replacement motherboard?. I am pretty sure they would allow
you to install a non-Dell-supplied motherboard in that instance. I
didn't think about that, nor did I know that Dell (never bought a Dell
computer) has that policy. But it really makes sense to me. Hopefully,
it also makes sense to Microsoft.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 14:27:25 -0700, Ron Martell
<ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote:

>This change in activation was brought about because it was becoming
>fairly widely known that a "BIOS Locked" OEM license could in fact be
>used on 2 computers, one self-activating through the BIOS Lock and the
>other with different hardware activated normally over the Internet.

Is that the hidden image key or the oem key that on the sticker? I
have done a clean install of my machine using the image key. Before
I figured out how to do a clean install without no oem cd. I use the
key on the back of the machine. This key does require you to
activate. The image key usually does not unless it installed on
another system or on the same system with another bios or motherboard.
So if Wga becomes a problem. I can change it to my oem key.

My system Emachine w2040 model. Xp sp2 work on it if dep is disabled.

Greg Ro

begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 22 August 2005 09:54 am, Ron Martell had
this to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> "jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt take
>>the extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that everything
>>is back together it won't let me activate. When I use the 800 number they
>>say that the product can't be activated. Please help.
>
> Your Dell Windows XP is a "BIOS Locked" version that is self
> activating when it is installed on a Dell motherboard. Prior to 1
> March 2005 if these versions were installed on a different motherboard
> then they required activation over the Internet or by telephone.
>
> However since 1 March 2005 Microsoft has blocked the online activation
> of these Windows versions and they are also declining requests for
> telephone activation.
>
> Your only options would appear to be:
> 1. Replace the motherboard with one from Dell and try to find another
> buyer (eBay?) for your Asus board if it cannot be returned.
> 2. Purchase a new license for Windows XP.
>
> Good luck
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

3. Say to hell with this MickeyMouse madness and install Linux. You'll end
up with a far more powerful system, more customizable, more secure and with
access to literally thousands of free software apps. Most importantly,
you'll be FREE. Free from the marketing and bullying of MicroShaft.

--
Have you been MicroShafted today?
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:59:09 -0700, Donald McDaniel

>The Dell OEM agreement requires you to replace a defective
>motherboard with an identical one purchased from Dell.

If you are prepared to expose yourself to that degree of vendor
lock-in abuse, you may as well go Mac.

Note that "agreement" in this case is between two vendors playing
vulture, with you as the carcass. Were these terms visible when you
bought your PC, and did you consider them when weighing that purchase
against less "big" brands? If not, how can "the market" apply
Darwinian selection pressure? It's time the DoJ had another look,
methinks - sware/hware vendor cabals may benefit both sware and hware
vendors, but guess who's the toothpaste getting squeezed in between.

>------------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
The rights you save may be your own

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:59:09 -0700, Donald McDaniel
>
>> The Dell OEM agreement requires you to replace a defective
>> motherboard with an identical one purchased from Dell.
>
> If you are prepared to expose yourself to that degree of vendor
> lock-in abuse, you may as well go Mac.
>
> Note that "agreement" in this case is between two vendors playing
> vulture, with you as the carcass. Were these terms visible when you
> bought your PC, and did you consider them when weighing that purchase
> against less "big" brands? If not, how can "the market" apply
> Darwinian selection pressure? It's time the DoJ had another look,
> methinks - sware/hware vendor cabals may benefit both sware and hware
> vendors, but guess who's the toothpaste getting squeezed in between.

Hear, hear! In all the US Anti-Trust preceding the one group that
wasn't really considered were consumers.

--

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:30:07 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:

> begin  trojan.vbs ... On Monday 22 August 2005 09:54 am, Ron Martell had
> this to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>
> > "jj" <jj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Help. I have a Dell pc and the mobo just fried and of course I didnt take
> >>the extended warranty, so I bought a new mobo (asus) now that everything
> >>is back together it won't let me activate. When I use the 800 number they
> >>say that the product can't be activated. Please help.
> >
> > Your Dell Windows XP is a "BIOS Locked" version that is self
> > activating when it is installed on a Dell motherboard. Prior to 1
> > March 2005 if these versions were installed on a different motherboard
> > then they required activation over the Internet or by telephone.
> >
> > However since 1 March 2005 Microsoft has blocked the online activation
> > of these Windows versions and they are also declining requests for
> > telephone activation.
> >
> > Your only options would appear to be:
> > 1. Replace the motherboard with one from Dell and try to find another
> > buyer (eBay?) for your Asus board if it cannot be returned.
> > 2. Purchase a new license for Windows XP.
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>
> 3. Say to hell with this MickeyMouse madness and install Linux. You'll end
> up with a far more powerful system, more customizable, more secure and with
> access to literally thousands of free software apps.

"Thousands of free software apps..." Yeh, right. You SHOULD have
written "thousands of free and extremely buggy software apps."

I've never installed a distibution of Linux (and I have installed
several) which did NOT contain MANY buggy apps (especially media
apps.) At least Microsoft's apps work as they should.

> Most importantly,
> you'll be FREE. Free from the marketing and bullying of MicroShaft.

A bully or a salesman can only influence you if you let them. You
must be extremely morally weak to be affected by Microsoft's marketing
efforts, and to feel that Microsoft has bullied you.

I've been using Microsoft Products since the early 80's, and have
never felt bullied by Microsoft.

Donald McDaniel wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:16:56 -0400, "kurttrail"
> <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
>>
>> LOL! You are so closed-minded! Why would you think any rational
>> human being respect and take seriously what you blather on about?
>
> I always close my mind to falsehood and idiocy such as you continually
> spew in these newsgroups.

LOL! I listen to everything. I don't purposely close my mind.

But there you go again, judging. O, ye of little faith, and great
hypocrisy!

--
Peace!
Kurt