XP Safe Mode boot hangs after load of KDCOM.DLL

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tps95

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
My lan connection stopped working. Not finding anything obviously wrong I rebooted XP. It hung during the boot.

I saw:
- Intel splash screen
- Sony splash screen
- black screen with a blinking "dash" cursor
- cursor went down one line
- cursor went down another line
- hung on an even blacker screen

I tried a safe mode boot and saw the above sequence. Just before going to the "even blacker" screen the following messages appeared (this somewhat frrom memory)

Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/sytem32/ntoskrnl.exe
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/sytem32/hal.dll
Multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)/windows/sytem32/kdcom.dll

Everything hung after the display about kdcom.dll.

To see if memory was involved I removed both memory cards (500 MB each) and booted using twice, using just one card of memory at a time. Both safe mode boots failed as above.

I am stuck at this point. Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
I am currently repairing a dell that has that exact same issue. That kdcom.dll file seems to be the issue. This is what I did to fix. I'm sorry that it's long but hang in there. If you're tech savvy, just skip through what ever you already know.

Boot From Disk
Insert your Windows XP disc and boot from it. If you don't know how to boot from a disc, during the Sony splash there is, hopefully, a legend that pop's up briefly (most often at the top right of the screen but not always). It will usually say two things: SETUP and BOOT MANAGER. Next to those will be the keys to press to start either. Press the one for the BOOT MANAGER. Unfortunately its not the same for every computer, but usually its something like F10 or F12.

Enter...

tps95

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Final comment: My disk does have a bad sector and that seems to cause a lot of logical problems that are caught by chkdsk. I will first use chkdsk to repair the problem. If subsequen problems arise I will buy a new disk.

metal4fun

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Excellent response! after i did the fix, i was able to load windows and find that the Vundo trojan was the cause of the problem. Combofix found the rootkit, malwarebytes and an avast boot time scan cleaned up the trash. I then ran hijackthis and cleaned up the random other pieces left behind. a CCleaner run just for good measure and now back in normal operation! Thanks a million!!

coldclone02

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011

ok so a fake internet security scanner just outta nowhere started running a fake scan, i couldnt open anything because of it so i did a system restore, it restarted, to a black screen, nothing, than when i try to run safe mode, these 3 files pop up, or i mean the name of them and the location from the hard drive, kdcom.dll ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll
I think those files got lost or corrupted I dont have the windows XP disc I cant find it the only one I have is the recovery disc but when I try to run that this pops up File\i386\halaacpi.dll cant be found or something like that. What can I do?

coldclone02

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I need help so badly please someone!! I mean I have the 3 files I need on another computer on the desktop is there anyway I can put them onto my troubled computer!?! Thank you in reply! Remember I dont have the Windows disc! And no money to purchase a replacement. Im 19 and my life is pretty much in my PC. Again thanks in reply!

davidjrivera

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

I am trying to create a recovery disk from another computer which gives me access to the files on my downed computer. You can try that. I am no expert but I kind of have the same problem.

jcmil2

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

I tried this three different times using my original system disk and it didn't work. I can't boot in regular OR safe mode and when I try to do a repair installation of Windows it hangs up. Ideas?