XP will not let me FORMAT drive - why?

Stephen

Hi

I have just added an additional drive from
my daughters computer (she upgraded).

I am running XP Home.

The old drive I have just fitted also had
XP Home installed.

I have removed all the files - including
XP itself.

Everytime I try to FORMAT the drive
I get this error;

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any
disk utilities or other programs that are using
this drive, and make sure that no window is
displaying the contents of the drive. Then
try formatting again,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have done as the error suggest and also checked
Task Manager to see if any programs are running
on DRIVE G - there aren't any.

Any suggestions?

Any help appreciated - thanks in advance.

Stephen

Stephen wrote:
> I have just added an additional drive from
> my daughters computer (she upgraded).
>
> I am running XP Home.
>
> The old drive I have just fitted also had
> XP Home installed.
>
> I have removed all the files - including
> XP itself.
>
> Everytime I try to FORMAT the drive
> I get this error;
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any
> disk utilities or other programs that are using
> this drive, and make sure that no window is
> displaying the contents of the drive. Then
> try formatting again,
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> I have done as the error suggest and also checked
> Task Manager to see if any programs are running
> on DRIVE G - there aren't any.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Any help appreciated - thanks in advance.

Tried in safe mode?
Tried with a different account with admin privs?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Right click My Computer, Manage, Disk Management.
You can format it there.