Gherkin

Distinguished
May 6, 2003

Eric the Caveman's death was only stupid that he was carrying 3 magic
lamps (saving them for later) and an unworn amulet of life saving when
the Chromatic Dragon stomped me. It was my first time attempting the
caveman quest and I was surprised at how difficult she was! I have
been to numerous quests and have never had a problem with the nemeses
(sp?). My AC was good (-21), i had SDSM, CoMR, and +4 mojo. I wasn't
expecting him to summon in so many baddies (3x)! Is she considered one
of the tougher quest nemeses, or did I jsut have a bad day? I know, I
know the AoLS would have helped- still shocked though.

"Gherkin" <gherkinz@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Eric the Caveman's death was only stupid that he was carrying 3 magic
> lamps (saving them for later) and an unworn amulet of life saving when
> the Chromatic Dragon stomped me. It was my first time attempting the
> caveman quest and I was surprised at how difficult she was! I have
> been to numerous quests and have never had a problem with the nemeses
> (sp?). My AC was good (-21), i had SDSM, CoMR, and +4 mojo. I wasn't
> expecting him to summon in so many baddies (3x)! Is she considered one
> of the tougher quest nemeses, or did I jsut have a bad day? I know, I
> know the AoLS would have helped- still shocked though.

The chromatic dragon nailed my first Caveman that made it there. Bad luck
to have her summon nasties tho... I never had the bad luck to see that
ability. My first got nailed in close, and the second killed her with some
trouble (later leaving a well prepared statue sans lizard corpse in Baalz
lair), while the ascender had Vorpy and a friendly RNG (off with her head!)

If at first you don't succeed, tempt the RNG some more.
Danny

Gherkin wrote:
> Eric the Caveman's death was only stupid that he was carrying 3 magic
> lamps (saving them for later) and an unworn amulet of life saving when
> the Chromatic Dragon stomped me. It was my first time attempting the
> caveman quest and I was surprised at how difficult she was! I have
> been to numerous quests and have never had a problem with the nemeses
> (sp?). My AC was good (-21), i had SDSM, CoMR, and +4 mojo. I wasn't
> expecting him to summon in so many baddies (3x)! Is she considered one
> of the tougher quest nemeses, or did I jsut have a bad day? I know, I
> know the AoLS would have helped- still shocked though.

When I met the Chromatic Dragon the first time I was surprised, like you
were, how difficult he was. Yes, I consider him one of the tougher ones;
all the attacks he has, and the many resistances. The way to handle him
is, as with most high level opponents, not to let him make a move against
you.

Janis

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Daniel Morris wrote:

>>Eric the Caveman's death was only stupid that he was carrying 3 magic
>>lamps (saving them for later) and an unworn amulet of life saving when
>>the Chromatic Dragon stomped me. It was my first time attempting the
>>caveman quest and I was surprised at how difficult she was! I have
>>been to numerous quests and have never had a problem with the nemeses
>>(sp?). My AC was good (-21), i had SDSM, CoMR, and +4 mojo. I wasn't
>>expecting him to summon in so many baddies (3x)! Is she considered one
>>of the tougher quest nemeses, or did I jsut have a bad day? I know, I
>>know the AoLS would have helped- still shocked though.
>
> The chromatic dragon nailed my first Caveman that made it there. Bad luck
> to have her summon nasties tho... I never had the bad luck to see that
> ability. My first got nailed in close, and the second killed her with some
> trouble (later leaving a well prepared statue sans lizard corpse in Baalz
> lair), while the ascender had Vorpy and a friendly RNG (off with her head!)
>
> If at first you don't succeed, tempt the RNG some more.
> Danny

Wow, reading this I'm glad I played it safe with my current caveman (on
the way to wishless/genocideless ascension, by the way! Oh, and
reflectionless, but not by choice.) and just whacked the damn thing with
a potion of paralysis. Instant smackdown, lemme tell you.

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Gherkin wrote:
>
>> Eric the Caveman's death was only stupid that he was carrying 3 magic
>> lamps (saving them for later) and an unworn amulet of life saving when
>> the Chromatic Dragon stomped me. It was my first time attempting the
>> caveman quest and I was surprised at how difficult she was! I have
>> been to numerous quests and have never had a problem with the nemeses
>> (sp?). My AC was good (-21), i had SDSM, CoMR, and +4 mojo. I wasn't
>> expecting him to summon in so many baddies (3x)! Is she considered one
>> of the tougher quest nemeses, or did I jsut have a bad day? I know, I
>> know the AoLS would have helped- still shocked though.
>

> When I met the Chromatic Dragon the first time I was surprised, like you
> were, how difficult he was. Yes, I consider him one of the tougher ones;
> all the attacks he has, and the many resistances. The way to handle him
> is, as with most high level opponents, not to let him make a move against
> you.

That's "her". Tiamat is a tough girl, isn't she?

I almost was killed by her the first time I met the Chromatic dragon.
Would have been the only time I have been killed by a quest nemesis. It
is definitely a good idea to stand on the stairs when dealing with her.
If she summons baddies, move up, she will follow and teleport away
once you hit her hard enough. Then move down to finish off the baddies,
heal, move back up and go down with her. The advice to paralyze her by
hitting her with a potion of paralysis while wearing a ring of free
action is good (probably she is sleep resistant).

Klaus Kassner wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>
>> [ about the Chromatic Dragon ]
>
> That's "her". Tiamat is a tough girl, isn't she?

Umm, yes, sure, if you say so.

I try not to approach too close to such deadly creatures, only to be
able to indentify their gender. And she, Tiamat, is too hard to lift
after been killed, to inspect her gender afterwards. ;-)

Janis

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> Klaus Kassner wrote:
>
>> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>>
>>> [ about the Chromatic Dragon ]
>>

>> That's "her". Tiamat is a tough girl, isn't she?
>

> Umm, yes, sure, if you say so.
>
> I try not to approach too close to such deadly creatures, only to be
> able to indentify their gender. And she, Tiamat, is too hard to lift
> after been killed, to inspect her gender afterwards. ;-)

Apparently, she does not *look* very female, if you did not recognize
that... :)

Klaus Kassner <Klaus.Kassner@physik.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:

> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> > Klaus Kassner wrote:

> >> That's "her". Tiamat is a tough girl, isn't she?
> >
> > Umm, yes, sure, if you say so.
> >
> > I try not to approach too close to such deadly creatures, only to be
> > able to indentify their gender. And she, Tiamat, is too hard to lift
> > after been killed, to inspect her gender afterwards. ;-)
>
> Apparently, she does not *look* very female, if you did not recognize
> that... :)

She looks like a humungous lizard with multi-coloured scales and a
predilection, as well as the equipment, for GBH. Most people aren't all
that good at telling a daddy amphibian from a mommy, even when they're
peaceful and six inches long :)

Richard