[SOLVED] Years of struggling and still can’t find an issue.

Mar 22, 2019
OS: Microsoft(R) Windows 7 Professional (64-bit Edition)
MOTHERBOARD: * (4-Way SLI Support) GIGABYTE X79-UP4 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 3D UEFI Bios, Ultra Durable 5, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 4 Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1 & 1 PCI
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011 (All Venom OC Certified)
FAN: Asetek 570LX Liquid Cooling system w/ 240MM Radiator and Dual Fans (Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
MEMORY: 32GB (4GBx8) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX)
GPU: NVIDIA Quadro 2000 1GB 16X PCIe Workstation Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
HDD: * 120 GB Kingston HyperX 3K SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 555MB/s Read & 510MB/s Write
HDD2&3: 1TB WD Caviar Blue SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD (1TB x 2 (1TB Capacity) Raid 1
POWERSUPPLY: * 850 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-850M Gold Modular 80 Plus

CD: LG 14X Internal Blu-ray Burner, BD-RE, DVD+RW, 3D Playback Combo Drive
CAS: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ dual 200mm fans
FA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System
FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer
FREEBIE_MB: GIGABYTE GC-WB300D Exclusive Bluetooth 4.0/WiFi PCIe Expansion Card

I will start from the very beginning as this might lead someone to find the problem.
Above is a list of my original PC, as you see OS Windows was on SSD (C: ) and 2 HDD were in RIDE 1 (D: ).
After a while the RIDE 1 fail so I disconnected it and I made it as two regular HDD drives (D: ) and (E: ).
After a while my PC has problems with booting. I was unable even to go to BIOS (black screen only).
I disconnected all drives and I still was unable to go to BIOS. Unplugged Power cord and waited a minute, then pug the cord in and I turned the PC on. This time I was able to go to BIOS. Then I connected C: and it booted. With trials I found that one of the HDD was causing to not boot (sometimes).
I bought another HDD 2TB WD. PC run ok most of the times but sometimes had some issues with booting similar to earlier issue.
I upgraded GPU to MSI Geforce GTX 1060. I had to update BIOS to new version in order to install new GPU. I also upgraded my SSD with OS to 2 Samsung Pro SSD 512GB and I make them as RAID 0 (please do not comment why I made RAID 0 with SSD).
The PC ran perfect for a while and then my RAID 0 fail.
New OS this time two SSDs as two separate drives (C: ) and (D: ) plus two HDDs.
After a while SSD (D: ) disappeared in the Windows. It looked like it was disconnected; even in BIOS I was unable to see it. When restarting PC, the PC is not booting, can’t go even to BIOS. I turn off the power supply; wait for a few seconds, turned it on, and PC runs as nothing happened.
There was few variation:
1 PC do not boot and I can’t go to BIOS (just black screen),
2 PC boot but without disc D: (SSD), device manager can’t see the drive.
3 PC boot as nothing happened with disc D:
4 PC boot without disc D: but after few minutes of using windows the SDD appears as it just was plugged in.
I got new data cables for my SSD, I changed the slot on motherboard of data cable of the SSD D: to different one, I changed volume from D: to E:

Additional information:
-I plugged the old HDD that failed first time. It works but it is damaged, half bricked, because it is super slow, like coping a single photo (4Mb) take minutes.
-I ran SSD benchmark on my C: and looks great. I ran the same benchmark on SSD D: and in the middle of the test the disc disappeared. After restarting couple times I ran it again and the benchmark shows about 50% of performance of disk D: comparing to C:

I’m guessing it’s Motherboard but not 100% sure.
Does anyone has a clue how to check it, or has an idea what the problem might be? I struggle with this crap over 5 years now. The problem appears sometimes every day; same times run for months without problems.
Please HELP

Solution
have you tried different sata ports for the drives? if it is a motherboard issue it likely starts there. try other sata ports and see if that clears it up. the boot drive should be on a lower numbered port than the data drive(s), otherwise it does not really matter what port you use. also try different sata cables themselves and see if the issue is with a bad cable.

this would be my first test to see if the motherboard itself is having problems.

second shot would be to try another system and see if the drives have any issues there. the data drives should be easy to put into another system and see what happens. the boot drive, though it won't boot another system can still be accesssed and some error checking done on it to see if it...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
have you tried different sata ports for the drives? if it is a motherboard issue it likely starts there. try other sata ports and see if that clears it up. the boot drive should be on a lower numbered port than the data drive(s), otherwise it does not really matter what port you use. also try different sata cables themselves and see if the issue is with a bad cable.

this would be my first test to see if the motherboard itself is having problems.

second shot would be to try another system and see if the drives have any issues there. the data drives should be easy to put into another system and see what happens. the boot drive, though it won't boot another system can still be accesssed and some error checking done on it to see if it throws up any errors.

Solution
Mar 22, 2019

second shot would be to try another system and see if the drives have any issues there. the data drives should be easy to put into another system and see what happens. the boot drive, though it won't boot another system can still be accesssed and some error checking done on it to see if it throws up any errors.

I tried different SATA ports for disk D: , my OS C: is always as [0]. It seems like the problem always starts from disc D:
I used new SATA sables when i got the new 2 SSDs.

I'm going to try connect the D: to my USB dock or to other PC and run the benchmark.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
does not sound like it's the drives since they've been replaced and issue still there. so if not the cables themselves, then it pretty much has to be the motherboard.

hopefully it's a port or 2 messing up and you can change that. if not, then looks like a new mobo is about the only solution. you've had the issue so long and tried so many different other parts that it's about the only thing left.

Mar 22, 2019
does not sound like it's the drives since they've been replaced and issue still there. so if not the cables themselves, then it pretty much has to be the motherboard.

hopefully it's a port or 2 messing up and you can change that. if not, then looks like a new mobo is about the only solution. you've had the issue so long and tried so many different other parts that it's about the only thing left.

Any recommendation for a new/old mobo that will not cost fortune?

I was thinking to check RAMs as well, but I believe that would cause constant problems and it wouldn't be related to just one drive. The other thing that came to my mind is the power supply but I'm pretty sure i changed cables around and again that would cause problems everywhere not to one drive.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador