Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

Thing is it does. Its just called 'All Apps'

Its just a list that merges listing the modern apps (which I dont like too much my self) with the usual folders and programs you install.

First thing I did was pin 'This PC' (my computer) and control panel as tile. Job done. Its really customisable. For the most part you can set it up as you like.

I think people are being way too inflexible here. I think they have it right this time around for the most part. Its not perfect sure.

http://www.classicshell.net/
if you don't want to pay.

randomizer

Champion

My old Windows 8.1 installation is developing cracks so I don't mind reinstalling if I have to. That's the only reason I tried the upgrade immediately. I planned to do a clean install of something, I just haven't yet decided what.

IaMaBooZeR

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015

No really. the thing is. IT DOESN'T. I don't want to hours reading a * tech manual, to configure the start menu to resemble what 99% of computer users identify as "The Start Menu"

<Language, please>

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

If you need to read a tech manual to configure a windows start menu, then I would have to question your I.T competency. You can configure it how you want mate, I recommend you spend some time with it. This is coming from a dude who hated windows 8/8.1

The start menu is now more inline with what Linux and MacOS can give you, plus keeping it windows. I guess most people who dont like it just never moved passed windows XP or win7. Both are now old, and even win7 is well out of touch as a modern os.

Duno what that was originally... I guess it was uncordial. Try and be nice.

Some people only ever use windows, and every time it changes they have some sort of fit. Its silly. ( I understand the windows 8 backlash).
I use lots of different operating systems for various reasons and microsoft here are doing nothing original. Ubuntu and MacOS have had most of this integrated stuff for years. Its just about keeping the OS relevant for new things. Microsoft need to change their model. And they are.

People want a whole new version of windows... but then bitch when its not exactly the same as the last. Win 10 has the balance right (with a few issues to work out granted).

Start menu is kind of annoying at first, mainly because it's just full of stuff I don't want.
But I've pinned the things I actually care about to it and now it's getting more useful.
Still annoying I can't drag things to it, and I have to right click on them and chooes pin to start either from file explorer or after searching for it.
JzXhBx2.png

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009

Nice post. Here is mine.Works for me.
3oPUiyA.jpg

It's far far easier than that. In the settings there's a page that just has a couple of drop-downs for which drive you want.

9RBkvzC.png

No good for me since it does not seem to show network drives, I almost forgot about that setting location to be honest.

I am sure lots of tips and tricks for 10 will surface to help users out. Edge still has some work to be done anyway.

Works ok on this so far. Only thing that doesnt (well kinda 1/2 works) is the Tplink wireless adapter. Until TPlink release Win10 drivers users can only connect to a 2.4 ghz connection not 5 ghz (if it's dual band)

Everything else went smoothly. Canon released Win10 drivers before it came out. So thats all good

Got a fingerprint scanner to work (an Egistec ES603) to test Windows Hello. BUT, you have to install 3rd party drivers for it. So Windows Hello appears. It wont if you install windowsupdate drivers

I read online last night users were having probs activating it. Saw on one forum you can use a generic key to activate it. So I did and it activated

jediTT

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I skipped Windows 8 so I'm coming from 7. So far I've had an awesome Windows 10 experience. I'm almost afraid I'll jinx it by talking about it. I installed just after midnight release using the command line and install went along with no problems. At first it was a little buggy and laggy but that went away after updating a few running programs and all of my drivers. The only actual problem I had was my pc becoming unresponsive trying to load core temp program. I saw other people had this problem in the beta and it went away after removing core temp while in safe mode. Other than that my computer is better overall. Everything feels more convenient and customizable. Its snappier. My firestrike score even went up a bit. System just feels more stable. I'm not sure if it's my imagination but it also seems to be running a few degrees cooler than before. So far no complaints at all and I'm very happy.

randomizer

Champion
Am I the only one finding that I currently prefer the old start screen to the new start menu? Familiarity can make even a bad idea seem good after a while. The new start menu doesn't really remind me of the one from Win 7 or the start screen from Win 8, so it's just something new and weird. It's pretty easy to enable the (slightly different) start screen though, so I could do that, but I'll probably stick it out with the start menu for a while.

jediTT

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

I didn't like mine until I found out I could customize what programs show up in the tiles.

jediTT

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

You can't drag things from the all programs list to your start?

EDIT
Yeah you can drag programs over OR right click and Pin to Start.

Mercian

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
Horrible, it takes about a minute of black screen before is shows the log in screen which itself lasts about 30 seconds. Once loaded it takes about another minute to settle even with minimum start up programs and services. I downgraded to 7 which I can use 30 seconds after powering up. 2 out of 10.

jediTT

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

Did you update all your drivers? Mine was doing the same thing and would even lock up and core temp was causing it.

USAFRet

Titan

Interesting
On my 6 year old, $300, 2GB RAM, Celeron CPU Toshiba laptop, it is about 40 seconds to the Welcome screen, another 15 seconds to the desktop.
55 seconds total.

Mercian

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014

Evan7899

Reputable
Dec 19, 2014

How do I upadte AMD drivers or check my driver version?

EDIT: I'm not sure if what windows is saying is right and I hope it is not but I do think it is so apparently my driver is up to date and it is from 2009. Ugh I hate AMD. I'm on 10.0.10240.16384

Status
Not open for further replies.