Your Experience with Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there friends!

With everyone trying out Windows 10, we wanted to get your input on what works, what doesn't, and what your overall thoughts and experiences with the new OS has been. We'll be putting together some guides and how-to's on getting going on Windows 10, and your feedback and story on Windows 10 so far will be helpful in knowing where and what we need to cover.

Reply here to share your experience so far with Windows 10, and help Tom's Hardware discover some of the pain points for early adopters.

-JP

3ogdy

Distinguished
Well...Windows 10 = Windows 8.2. Same screwed up theme...with the mini version of the startscreen. I'm writing this from a PC running the latest build. It is fast but so would be Windows Vista with a classic theme, you know...there is no excuse for sticking to this '95 theming system they scrwed us up in Windows 8 with. The OS feels old by design...even the icons look like imported from Windows 95. There are still bugs to be sorted out like:

The taskbar doesn't maintain its position upon a restart. It always defaults to the preset height. (people who use a lot of software like me have to go through the hassle of unlocking the taskbar, pulling it up and locking it again after every single restart...)
Pinning something in the start menu is a pain in the neck...the pinned item goes all the way to the bottom of the list and you have to scroll like crazy to get to the bottom, grab the icon and put it where it was supposed to appear (right in the section that was visible at the moment of pinning the app).
The fact that some settings are located in Settings and some other are located under Control Panel is also disturbing and confusing whenever it comes to investigating issues and fixing stuff.
They managed to make the start menu resizable, now it's back to default size / full screen. The option for a custom size is gone. Scrolling is only allowed vertically, as if we buy TALLscreen monitors, not Widescreen monitors.

I'm not sure why the c**ts want to disable acces to My Computer, but the thing is...I had to go through hell and back to make Computer available under Start and make that damned icon open My Computer instead of the EXTREMELY IRRITATING AND USELESS explorer windows (FYI: Explorer-> View menu->Options (the old Folder Options menu)-> first setting: Open File Explorer to: This PC).

Did I mention how retarded the theme feels like? There are thousands who want Microsoft to bring Aero back and I really hope they don't act as if nothing happened and Windows 8 wasn't the same as Windows 95 SE. Yes, Windows 8...or isn't it the exact same s*itty so-called theme? Am I missing anything? Nope.

Windows 7 was actually BETTER at dealing with multiple screens (I use 3) and the side screens are set at 1680x1050 while the main is at 1080p. Well...try moving one window from the side screens to the main window and you'll see it's not possible...because W10 blocks the window atthe edge of the screen assuming it is because of a resolution difference.....again THIS THING WORKED PERFECTLY FINE IN VISTA AND 7. Even under XP.

We live in an era when GPUs are getting more powerful, and OSes look older and older and older and use less and less GPU horsepower...Really? Is it really that hard to provide a Classic mode for those with iGPUs and a true successor to Vista / 7 in terms of design?

RAM usage could be better too...I mean..I upgraded from 16GB to 24GB yet Windows is only using 1.7GB cached and 3.6GB are comitted out of 27.8GB.
We all love low RAM usage, but when it detects more RAM, it should make use of it to speed the system up.

Oh and I think I should also mention that something must have happened (Probably Microsoft released an update or something) since the release of Windows 8...because it seems Windows 7 PCs boot slower after some time...slower means a 1-minute long waiting time in front of a black screen after the Welcome screen. Happened on various computers with different configurations. Could be Microsoft forcing users to switch to bullshit OSes. But I guess it works...one of my reasons to switch to Windows 8.2 was that slow boot (off a Samsung SSD830 through SATA 6Gbps & FX8350).

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
I can't believe the speed I've installed the leaked build 10054 in a VM and it screams. I did set it up with 4 processors and 4 gb of ram and 120 gb. Build 10049 seemed to crawl on the VM as I had it set to 2 processors. IE is now integrated into Spartan and there is an option in Spartan to run in IE. The mail,contacts and calendar which hadn't been working in the last couple build are working and have been redesigned with a new GUI. It allows IMAP, POP and Google setups. I couldn't my Roadrunner Pop email account to sync but I use Outlook for the anyways or Windows Live Mail. I have build 10049 installed on a laptop as the main OS as I had an extra SSD and I formatted and installed. I have done updates in the setting section and not using the ISO on this machine . Once Windows 10 is released I will stick the windows 7 hard drive back in and update that. I have 5 laptops that are Windows 10 upgrade eligible 3 Windows 7 and 2 Windows 8.1 that is will upgrade once Windows 10 is released.

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

Yeah I noticed that too.......

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

How much were you paid for that bit of advertising? :)

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

:D

strelokstk

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
using it as main operating system. everything i need works, games, adobe programs, cinema 4d. I just love it. The problem i have is that when i turn it off I get an error while the screen is gray and says "shutting down", i just have to press enter

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
For those of you who have installed it so far, what would you say the biggest issues other people are going to have with the new setup? If we set up a bounty board for Windows 10 Tutorials, what would you want to see put on it?

-JP

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Well the problem is this is a Beta basically and most used a ISO to do a clean install. I think most will do an upgrade when Windows 10 comes out. Also when the product comes out there will be better driver support. I installed in a VM and as main OS (clean install) VM was way faster.

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

If the price is right. If not I'll stick with Win 7 for the foreseeable.

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014
I have to chuckle when I see this thread in new updates, it's says "Your Experience with Wind" I though it was related to gastric problems at first!

I liked the very first build, it started out pretty well, very fast. Each consecutive build, I got more and more disappointed. They made the "All Programs" menu less attractive, it became much slower, and overall I did not care for the unworking features like Cortana.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

I disagree as that Windows 10 is Windows .8.2. The main reasons are that Spartan is the new browser with the Edge engine designed to work with HTML pages and IE will remain ONLY to load pages still using flash and other older technologies. WIndows 10 is truly cross will be the same on all devices not like Windows 8 and Windows RT. Cortana is also new and wasn't in the family of Windows 8.

I'm don't thing the OS look old by any means. It run Desktop apps and Modern apps in the same windows and the windows are more distinguishable then ever before. They've removed the whole start screen. They've also began to move the Control Panel tools from the as stated OLDER ICONS look to a new modern setting screen .

I'm really not sure about the trend is graphic processors outside of gaming machines. The trend is small more mobile ultra books with integrated graphics cards only. In face Intel is less concerned with processors clock speeds the they are with energy efficiency and battery. That's why desktop owners are not getting are not seeing benefits from each Iseries processors going back to Sandy Bridge.

Ram speed. There is a point where adding ram makes no difference. I upgraded my machine for 8 gb to 12 gb and it was noticeable so I decided to go to 16 GB and didn't seen difference. 90% of all PC's sold in public will have 8 gb or less as default. Now vendors that allow you to upgrade you can go but some system only go to 8, some only go to 16 and not alot go to 32. Memory does more multi-tasking then anything.

Windows 10 will allow cut and pasting into the the command prompt and into power shell which has never been done with an MS product. .

Aero is the biggest waster of resources as you state you want to use all the memory to speed up when Aero Is a resource hog for improving the look not performance.

I believe an OS is not what makes one productive but the Software that run is the OS makes one productive. The biggest advantage of Windows 10 has nothing to do with the look and feel of Window 10. But i know all new software will be designed to take advantage of Windows 10 featured and technology.

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

When I ran the Win 10 preview and did a check with some software is said it was Windows 8. blah blah blah.
So in effect it's a Windows 8 update rebranded IMO.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
I had a firebird when i was young but people called in a camaro. It looked the same but it was completely different. How does Cortana work in windows 8? I also tried to get to the start screen in the TP and i couldn't. I also tried to bring the charms bar out and nothing happened.

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

Windows 8.(Can't remember as I don't have it any longer) is exactly what the Win 10 preview says if you bother to check.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

That's because Windows 10 hasn't been released yet

RobWHS

Reputable
Jun 3, 2014

Still said Win 8 dot something on the Win 10 preview.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Mine says WIndow 10 Pro Tech Review under system. Now if I use Belarc Adviser it says Windows 8.1 because Windwos 10 isn't out. It's a Beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.