Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 65 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Titan

Please don't link directly to a download.
Post the actual website, and a description of what that tool might do, how it works, and why someone might use it.

Thanks.

Kingshuk2003

Prominent
May 29, 2017
I know the thread is a bit old
But this is important .
Windows 10 in my view is pure BS
I am using Windows 10 redstone 4 with 8 gb of ram and a G4560 and a sandisk ssd 240 gb
Startups are fast but the start menu is horrible and useless and hangs most of the time .
And win 10 hogs up my internet bandwidth like it's nothing .
It takes up 3gb of my daily bandwidth in mere minutes without notifying me .
I am using Windows 10 home sl
And I have tried all sorts of things to stop updates like using cmd
Service.msc
Modifying the registry and what not but still it downloads updates without notifying me
I am tired of windows 10 and to be honest yes
Microsoft is making the older versions of windows slower using through the newer updates to force people to upgrade to Windows 10
And windows 10 runs like hell
I am better off with windows 7 ultimate and will do a clean install
Everytime i do a clean install of it win 10 works like a charm but after a few days it all becomes the same
I am tired of it
Also the theme of windows 10 is pure crap and I desperately want windows aero back
Windows 10 is an insult to legendary operating systems like xp and 7

LoL, Going to services and disabling windows update is enough....

Microsoft is making the older versions of windows slower using through the newer updates to force people to upgrade to Windows 10

Total <removed> Im on Windows 7 right now (after downgrade cause of Hamachi issues on windows 10) totally updated to latest point, the issues is by user, clogging up the system with unecessary software.

And windows 10 runs like hell
It runs quite nicely but I've had only issues with Sound Related stuff on my new mobo, and nice thing is you can swap harwdware without reinstalling windows totally.

I am tired of it
Also the theme of windows 10 is pure crap and I desperately want windows aero back
Windows 10 is an insult to legendary operating systems like xp and 7

Go back to windows 7.

Also Windows 8 and windows 8.1 were crap to me. Perfomance and preinstalled apps were suffering.

Language removed by moderator.

Its funny how many people hated the Aero theme when it first appeared in Vista and was refined in 7, many people would revert to a Windows 2K theme, yet now love and miss it.

Also it took XP 2 service packs to be "legendary". Before SP2 XP was buggy, crashed a lot and had tons of issues. People seem to forget this and only remember the good XP.

7 was a great OS. But it served its time and people need to move on instead of holding on. There are many features 10 has that 7 does not and could not have without doing exactly what 10 is and rewriting the entire OS from the ground up. I think what people miss the most is the look of 7 or the UI. Otherwise the improvements to the kernal in 10 make 10 vastly better than 7.

I liked Windows Vista, but then I was running a higher end machine at the time it was out. ;)

Windows 7 is a great OS, but getting dated now and close to EOL, still running it on one machine, but will change it to Windows 10 once 7 hits EOL. Haven't decided if I will retire that machine and replace the MB/CPU/Ram with the Z270 MB and 7700K I have in a box or not yet. Both MB's have been activated with Windows 10. It's really only a workstation and storage, but it's a 3rd Gen i5....

Windows 10 really is a very good OS, very solid.

I have one netbook running XP Pro SP3, a PC running 7 Home and a laptop running 10 Home, grandfathered from the 7 it has when I bought it. I have to say I hardly notice the "feel" is different between the three.

The 2003 netbook also runs Mint and the 14" Stream also runs Kali and they both do everything far faster than any Windows will ever go.

When Windows 10 become a rental product, I shall probably drop Windows altogether.

MasterChief86

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Win 10 has never disappointed me in terms of performance and speed. The only bad experience I've had with it was my office's laptop. the last one. everything else has been great.

Jan 22, 2019
I Like it , I am using windows 10 for 10 month till now

I really admire it , and enjoy it
some people say that it will be bad, and has problems and it has no thing new, but no

I found it really nice , good for work
and has really many improved features
it's more organized
i like the new edge browser too
so in general it's better than the Win 7
and a lot of better than the Win 8 and 8.1

dynaryder

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
I know that this thread started a few years ago now - but it seems to continually be commented on.

For starters, I am soon to be a retiree. I have a few good old computers in my possession - at least two of them are over 12 years old. My actual computer experience is from a long time ago when I worked with industrial automation (Gould Modicon and Greysoft or Modsoft) It was mostly DOS based back then. In the early 200s, I got a relatively new computer for home use finally. When I finally upgraded it to run Windows XP and I got things figured out, I thought it was the closest thing to being in heaven I could experience. I have doggedly stayed with XP more or less ever since. Well, for obvious reasons, that is no longer as viable of a plan as it once was.

So, in the early summer of 2018 - When my daily use lap top had a crash, I took it to my friend who has a computer store. He told me that I should just "bite the bullet" and plunge in to Windows 10. He installed a new HDD, CD/DVD R/W drive and upgraded the RAM. Then, he installed Windows 10 and a couple of my other programs. Thankfully, he also retrieved everything in the my documents, my pictures and two other folders from the old drive. At first, I was not pleased with it but it kind of grew on me.

Now - in early 2019, my wife has an old IBM (made by Lenovo) thinkpad with Windows XP from about 2006 that she had been using for skype, the internet and Fakebook and their Messenger. I had not seen it in a while and I asked where it went. She had put in a box of old computer parts because it was "flakey". I retrieved it and discovered that the battery was bad - it would not charge and the icon kept flashing...and, yes, it was flaky. I removed the battery and running only on the adaptor though the flakiness went away....Hmmmm...

I got looking at that computer's specifications and I was surprised to see that everything in it was compatible with Windows 10! I got thinking that she wants to use it again now that the flakiness was figured out so why not try Windows 10 in it. I had an ISO file on a DVD that was fairly recent (July 2018) so I set about making a bootable disk in order to install it. I also partitioned the HDD so I could keep the old XP OS.
Issue Number ONE with Windows 10 was/is the unfriendly interface and lack of easy to use Help Info for the ISO Burn feature! I had a lot of trouble making it though. I tried several different things in order to get a copy that would work. Several failed attempts to burn a disk seemed to leave me with unbootable copies. I tried the Microsoft install program - it did the same. I tried a utility program - it did the same. I even tried a USB flash drive version - it di the same. My friend at the shop said to reread the info he had sent me and follow it carefully! I figured out finally what I had been doing wrong, I burnt yet one more disk and LO & BEHOLD - that one worked! I had tried a lot of "fixes and tweaks" in between each prior attempt.... He instructed me also on what NOT to accept from Microsoft on the install and when I got through it, I was to bring it to him for activation (His more or less exact words were for me to do the "dirty work & heavy lifting" myself) ...Mostly, he was busy with family over the weekend. He looked it over, said that I did it all correctly and did some strange thing with a batch file to activate it....and charged me $25.00 (for the license I guess). So far - and I have only had it activated since this morning, that old computer is running well - and faster than my newer one too.

I am still playing with Win 10 though.... I can do everything I need to do so, it will be fine in the long run.

There is another (second) Issue though - my first computer to get Windows 10 Often has a problem with bogging down to painfully slow. Looking at the task manager shows that it has 100% disk usage - which can last for sometimes an hour or even more. I have not been able to find a fix yet. So far the new installation has not started to do it so....
All in all, I say - although it does not have the same effect on me as what XP had, I am, so far, pleased with windows 10.

Jan 27, 2019
well I try both 1709 & 1809 builds
the first thing I noticed all my winaero files such;
uninstall cortana winaero,uninstall edge winaero,
telemetry firewall winaero are not working in 1809
second things I noticed is the huge differences
in the overall performance
1709 is faster by a lot compare to 1809 that feel
slow to responding and overall chopping performance
I just find hard to believe that behind windows 10
there are qualify software engineers
because not even entry level software engineers
would capable to make so much mess
so there is where we're with windows 10 - 1809 build a train of bugs
if microsoft continue the screw things up
like they're being doing since windows 10 was released
i personally guarantee that PC windows 10
will end up like Windows 10 mobile phone...!!!
so my final verdict is stay with the 1709 build
or downgrade to windows 7 and wait for the release for the next windows 10 build.

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
Display won't turn off after specified time for unknown reasons - sometimes it works often it doesn't. Last night my display remained on all night. I have nothing open but usual programs that always worked with Windows 7 (leaving Steam open, Battle.net, Mumble AFK in friend's server). Actually these programs in the background have allowed my display to sleep on Win 10, but like I said it's completely random. A lot of the times it just won't cut the display off at all.

Also, I turned Logitech Gaming Software OFF from Startup Apps because I do not need it starting as a program in my task bar. Upon restart it turned itself back ON as a Startup app and was indeed there in the task tray - WHY? When I entered the program, it prompted the pop up box asking if I wanted my computer to allow access to the program/network or something, and the typical option I always check (private- such as my home pc, etc). was checked but GREYED OUT. WHY? The Public box was checked but I was able to uncheck it as it wasn't an option I wanted. Why was the private box greyed out? How can I fix this for future programs?

Jan 27, 2019

look dude
I just have one of the worse afternoon ever with the 1809 build
World of Warcraft was unplayable
so I downgrade to Windows 7 and I try to play again
and I have no issues at all
Microsoft is trolling us with their crap in Windows 10
and Microsoft are going to drag windows 10 until 2025 by say that windows 10 is the best OS ever
when in reality is windows 10 is a piece of junk
I'm just soo glad to know in 2025 windows 10 will die
I'm so sick to be Microsoft guinea pig
I'm done with windows 10 for good...!!!!

aafusc2988

Honorable
Jan 8, 2015
Display again didn't turn off all last night - this morning it didn't work the first 2-3 times... then the 4th time it randomly works. Now the display is off while I am at work. I do not want to manually turn off my monitor every time I'm going to be away from the computer for a little bit... this is so stupid.

You certainly have corrupt filles, try to repair windows, if not make a fresh install. I do not have this problems, monitor turns off every time, this problem is unique to only you.

A great experience with win 10. I have been using for 5 years its very light and fast.and the beauty of the win 10 is that it's not have crashing problem.

You're very lucky. Those of us that have only had it since July, 2015 find it very heavy - especially in the Update department. It's also designed to take as much of your personal data to track your movements and to turn it into analytics that engender Spam messages and assumptions as to your politics. Check the Privacy section in Settings.

Apart from that, it's not too bad but Linux is far better.

Mar 7, 2019
Hey there friends!

With everyone trying out Windows 10, we wanted to get your input on what works, what doesn't, and what your overall thoughts and experiences with the new OS has been. We'll be putting together some guides and how-to's on getting going on Windows 10, and your feedback and story on Windows 10 so far will be helpful in knowing where and what we need to cover.

Reply here to share your experience so far with Windows 10, and help Tom's Hardware discover some of the pain points for early adopters.

-JP
Windows 10 will not recognize my slightly older USB Plug-in HP Laserjet Printer and a Fujitsu Scanner. I have installed updated drivers for both. They worked well with my previous WIndows 8.0/8.1 laptop which was upgraded to Windows 10, but only after several Microsoft updates. Microsoft Windows techs informed me that the updates allowed the devices to access Windows 8.1, because Windows 10 was an "overlay". I have spent hours online and on the phone with MS WIndows, Fujitsu and HP, and with my Antivirus provider, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any insight? All of the online chat "fixes" are several years old; WIndows 10 has since changed its Settings/Drivers & Devices/Control Panel streams so much that the online help is no longer valid.

Windows 10 will not recognize my slightly older USB Plug-in HP Laserjet Printer and a Fujitsu Scanner. I have installed updated drivers for both. They worked well with my previous WIndows 8.0/8.1 laptop which was upgraded to Windows 10, but only after several Microsoft updates. Microsoft Windows techs informed me that the updates allowed the devices to access Windows 8.1, because Windows 10 was an "overlay". I have spent hours online and on the phone with MS WIndows, Fujitsu and HP, and with my Antivirus provider, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any insight? All of the online chat "fixes" are several years old; WIndows 10 has since changed its Settings/Drivers & Devices/Control Panel streams so much that the online help is no longer valid.

Not sure on thje scanner but I have a guy who I do side work for who has Windows 10 and is running a HP LaserJet 4000 via USB, that model is over 10 years old, without any issues using the PCL5 drivers.

For anybody who cares to know, the upgrade IS still working for free AND as was mentioned to be by USAFRet, does work even with OEM licenses and does work with OEM licenses even after changing hardware. I just did this today with a Windows 7 OEM system, then changed boards, then clean installed, then activated, no problem.

Yup. I did it for my grandmothers PC when I built it. Had an old Windows 7 code and it took it.

Honestly there is almost no reason to not move to 10. If you have a valid license for 7/8 and its free considering 7 support is dying off soon. No reason to hold back really.

Mac029

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
Well my curiosity is peaked. I've been tweaking my W10 system for a week and like/dislike some things. I have 2-3 W7 systems I could use to upgrade gratis but was going to buy a key for this fresh install.

Darkbreeze, any negatives to upgrading from a W7? I didn't think of doing that and then doing a clean install. Obviously I want a fresh registry. Also want to install only a few programs, to begin with. AFAIK the upgrade would bring all those old program installs with it.

On another note I've seen when I click on a folder, W10 opens the parent folder. Odd. Also hoping W10 doesn't auto install any downloaded drivers unless I want it to. But I especially like that search seems fixed. Also they finally finally gave users a solution for long file names.

You don't even have to do it that way. You can JUST go straight to a clean install, then plug in your Windows 7 number for activation purposes. There are no negatives that I'm aware of, and honestly as much as there are SMALL things about Windows 10 that irk me, there is no way I'd ever go back to 7 or 8.1. Also, if you like the feel and look of those operating systems better in terms of the start menu, desktop and shell appearance and behavior, and contrary to what some say (And despite the fact that it is no longer in development), Classic shell can make Windows 10 look and feel like any of those but with the much better support for drivers and technologies behind the scenes. And I'm still using it, so yes, it still works, even though there's been a few people try to say it doesn't.

Well my curiosity is peaked. I've been tweaking my W10 system for a week and like/dislike some things. I have 2-3 W7 systems I could use to upgrade gratis but was going to buy a key for this fresh install.

Darkbreeze, any negatives to upgrading from a W7? I didn't think of doing that and then doing a clean install. Obviously I want a fresh registry. Also want to install only a few programs, to begin with. AFAIK the upgrade would bring all those old program installs with it.

On another note I've seen when I click on a folder, W10 opens the parent folder. Odd. Also hoping W10 doesn't auto install any downloaded drivers unless I want it to. But I especially like that search seems fixed. Also they finally finally gave users a solution for long file names.

if you do the upgrade within windows 7 the install wizard will notify you of any incompatible programs first before proceeding with the upgrade. i upgraded an old W7 PC on the weekend because of the zero day vulnerability found in windows 7

once it is upgraded and activated you can do a fresh install of windows 10 and once you are back online it will automatically reactivate without entering a key (as long as your key was legit)

and there is a way to disable automatic driver install in windows 10

Reactions: Mac029
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS