Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thermaler

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
My favorite is having to reset the network settings so the rest of the network can see the oldest machine in the system. To be fair, it is any of the Win 10 machines. Win 7 on the other hand has not played with any settings, yet.

It is also nice that default apps need to be reset. If you are using the last or two versions back instead of the latest and greatest you get the dialog box asking what you want to open with.
To make it look worse it is usually the app I had made default before the update, duh!!!

It is amazing just how far 8gb doesn't go with Windows 10.

I have been gaming on an Acer Nitro 5 recently, and this laptop has good specs including a 1050ti and i5, but the only exception is the 8gb ram.

Games like TF2 and CSgo ran fine, but beamng just wouldn't. It ran with a really unstable 40ish fps regardless of map or graphics settings.

Finally monitored ram usage and found it was basically pegging 100% and hitting page file.

Odd since my main pc has 8gb ram and runs beam ng fine. Then i realized that windows copy is debloated.

Then on the laptop i ran some windows 10 debloater to get rid of something and boom, 60fps stable with high gfx settings.

Windows 10 just sucks at ram management out of the box. I have no clue what this debloater did, but all i know is i notice no downsides and my ram usage is way lower

agonydear

Honorable
Nov 26, 2018
It is amazing just how far 8gb doesn't go with Windows 10.

I have been gaming on an Acer Nitro 5 recently, and this laptop has good specs including a 1050ti and i5, but the only exception is the 8gb ram.

Games like TF2 and CSgo ran fine, but beamng just wouldn't. It ran with a really unstable 40ish fps regardless of map or graphics settings.

Finally monitored ram usage and found it was basically pegging 100% and hitting page file.

Odd since my main pc has 8gb ram and runs beam ng fine. Then i realized that windows copy is debloated.

Then on the laptop i ran some windows 10 debloater to get rid of something and boom, 60fps stable with high gfx settings.

Windows 10 just sucks at ram management out of the box. I have no clue what this debloater did, but all i know is i notice no downsides and my ram usage is way lower

Could you please tell us which debloater exactly did you use? Kinda curious.

Reactions: Spaceghaze

Colif

Win 11 Master
It appears it removes some installed packages using powershell and changes a few registry settings - it tells you which ones in the description.

it mostly uninstalls games, Microsoft & bing apps

removes Xbox app so careful if you want to use that.

Not sure how removing applications that you don't use (and are therefore not running) would improve ram usage.

Win 10 is actually more efficient with ram usage compared to all versions of WIndows until you hit XP. It can shrink itself down to run in less than 500mb of ram, although it won't be very fast

Backup registry before running just in case - https://neosmart.net/wiki/backup-restore-registry/

It appears it removes some installed packages using powershell and changes a few registry settings - it tells you which ones in the description.

it mostly uninstalls games, Microsoft & bing apps

removes Xbox app so careful if you want to use that.

Not sure how removing applications that you don't use (and are therefore not running) would improve ram usage.

Win 10 is actually more efficient with ram usage compared to all versions of WIndows until you hit XP. It can shrink itself down to run in less than 500mb of ram, although it won't be very fast

Backup registry before running just in case - https://neosmart.net/wiki/backup-restore-registry/

XP uses very little RAM but it also doesn't do as much. I also wouldn't call it more efficient. XP debut when 1GB was considered the higher end of RAM amounts so it was designed to run within that. However if you had more than that the RAM would sit idle and unused until a program needed it.

Since Viste they have had SuperFetch which uses free RAM and frees it up when needed by another program. Vistas was sub par but 7 and on have had a very optimized version. I would say 7 and up are more efficient on using the RAM while XP was efficient in terms of OS RAM needs.

Even Android does this now. I am not as sure about iOS though.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is sort of the point, XP is so long ago that people didn't have huge amounts of ram so it had to run in less. Vista is actually the worst of the bunch when it comes to ram usage, they have all gotten better since and 10 is best so far (apart from XP for reasons mentioned already).

Since people have had more ram since XP MIcrosoft have worked out ways to make it work better for system. Shame many still think unused ram is useful. And try to fight windows. Since most PC now have 8gb or more, it makes sense to use it to speed system up.

Win 10 uses ram differently to previous versions, it also compresses any programs that you have used today, but may not be running now, into ram instead of onto the page file. The reasoning is you might need it again and it loads much faster out of compressed ram than storage (even nvme slower than ram). If you ever need more ram than is currently free, it will then write the compressed data onto pagefile.

So win 10 may appear to use more ram but its just trying to be more efficient. You still have just as much ram if you really need it.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Just thought I'd post up something that has happened many times now.

I get so many customers saying "oh I really need to upgrade from 7 to 10...but I'm not sure I'll like it. I really like what I have!"

I then persuade them otherwise (specially with end of support).

They hand me the laptop or desktop....guess what?

It's had 10 running on it for two years or more already. Just got another one in this afternoon. Worried that all his programs wont work with 10...well they have been doing pretty well since September!

To me it seems fear of change is largely BS and all in the mind.

I rolled out many Windows 8 machines to old XP customers that said "Ohhh I don't want that 8 I hear it's terrible!" I'd just slap Classic Shell on them.

I'd then speak to them a few month later and it would be "Oh this new machine is lovely! So glad I didn't go with Windows 8!"

Yes...yes you should be!

Just thought I'd post up something that has happened many times now.

I get so many customers saying "oh I really need to upgrade from 7 to 10...but I'm not sure I'll like it. I really like what I have!"

I then persuade them otherwise (specially with end of support).

They hand me the laptop or desktop....guess what?

It's had 10 running on it for two years or more already. Just got another one in this afternoon. Worried that all his programs wont work with 10...well they have been doing pretty well since September!

To me it seems fear of change is largely BS and all in the mind.

I rolled out many Windows 8 machines to old XP customers that said "Ohhh I don't want that 8 I hear it's terrible!" I'd just slap Classic Shell on them.

I'd then speak to them a few month later and it would be "Oh this new machine is lovely! So glad I didn't go with Windows 8!"

Yes...yes you should be!

People get comfortable with what they know. Its in every aspect of life. Every new OS is met with some sort of resistance from some set of people. Even 7 had people who didn't like it and preferred XP.

My main business PC is still running on 7 and I have no good reason to maintain that habit. I'll be using it less if I do go ahead with retirement but I shall keep it and see how it behaves when it's out of support. Support used to mean waiting for ages to shut down because updates were downloading. The following morning I've had to wait for up to a quarter of an hour through more configuration and three restarts.

I'll manage without support - I did with XP for three years without Vista before Seven came along and that stayed with me throughout 8, 81 and 10.

drax9

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
My experience with Windows 10...

Installed on brand new Samsung 860 Evo 500GB

Tried to install AMD GPU software: freeze. Have to hard reset. Countless times.
Tried to install Logitech gamepad software: freeze. Have to hard reset. Countless times.
Tried to install logitech Mouse software: freeze. Have to hard reset. Countless times.
Tried to install Creative software for sound card: freeze. Have to hard reset. Countless times.

Installed Microsoft mouse and keyboard software: Volume gets stuck at 100%. Cannot turn it down. Can only mute or 100%. Reset did not change it. Still 100%. Had to uninstall the software to fix it. I need the software for my macros and to disable certain keys, like Caps Lock and Windows key!

2TB back up/storage hard drive... in 2 partitions: noticed one partition completely missing. Had to find it in disk management and assign a drive letter to it.

Finally got the Logitech gamepad software on: won't recognize my controller.
Finally got the GPU driver/software installed.

Decide to take a break, eat something and watch some Netflix. Netflix won't play. Just a frozen picture / movie paused.
Test YouTube: Same exact thing.

The driver installation crashes and the volume sticking at 100% are the exact same problems I had in Windows 8/8.1 years back, and it's why I went right back to 7.

Windows is fully updated. I installed Visual C++ and Netframework. DxDiag says DirectX 12 is installed. What a piece of trash this Windows is.

Been at this for at least 6 hours. Who has the kind of time it takes to fool with this nonsense?!!!

Edit: Solved the video problem with K-Lite codec pack. Sigh.

Last edited:
My experience with Windows 10...

Installed on brand new Samsung 860 Evo 500GB

Tried to install AMD GPU software: freeze. Have to hard reset. Countless times.
Tried to install Logitech gamepad software: freeze. Have to hard reset. Countless times.
Tried to install logitech Mouse software: freeze. Have to hard reset. Countless times.
Tried to install Creative software for sound card: freeze. Have to hard reset. Countless times.

Installed Microsoft mouse and keyboard software: Volume gets stuck at 100%. Cannot turn it down. Can only mute or 100%. Reset did not change it. Still 100%. Had to uninstall the software to fix it. I need the software for my macros and to disable certain keys, like Caps Lock and Windows key!

2TB back up/storage hard drive... in 2 partitions: noticed one partition completely missing. Had to find it in disk management and assign a drive letter to it.

Finally got the Logitech gamepad software on: won't recognize my controller.
Finally got the GPU driver/software installed.

Decide to take a break, eat something and watch some Netflix. Netflix won't play. Just a frozen picture / movie paused.
Test YouTube: Same exact thing.

The driver installation crashes and the volume sticking at 100% are the exact same problems I had in Windows 8/8.1 years back, and it's why I went right back to 7.

Windows is fully updated. I installed Visual C++ and Netframework. DxDiag says DirectX 12 is installed. What a piece of trash this Windows is.

Been at this for at least 6 hours. Who has the kind of time it takes to fool with this nonsense?!!!

Edit: Solved the video problem with K-Lite codec pack. Sigh.

You have something more wrong. Its not 10. I have a Logitech mouse never had an issue with the software. Also have a SoundBlaster Z and it works fine. The fact that so many different issues exist on a OS thats pretty refined, hell 1909 was just a big patch, says that you probably have a hardware issue somewhere.

Windows 10 imo is the worst OS yet. I have to waste my time at least every other month. Yesterday was the Nividia graphics update that bricked my system. Had to roll back to 1903, when 1909 was running great. Get it up and guess what no Nividia control panel, no gaming tonight!
This weekend I make a disk image backup and will just restore from now on.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Windows 10 imo is the worst OS yet. I have to waste my time at least every other month. Yesterday was the Nividia graphics update that bricked my system. Had to roll back to 1903, when 1909 was running great. Get it up and guess what no Nividia control panel, no gaming tonight!
That sounds like a Nvidia driver issue, not a Windows 10 issue?

That's absolutely NOT a Windows 10 issue. You have other issues.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Given if i see a BSOD and the person has newest Nvidia drivers, I start to twitch and wonder, is it the Nvidia drivers or should I ignore them.

Updating Nvidia drivers when old ones worked fine is asking for troubles :)

Reactions: LeighPing
Windows EOL is not the end of the world. You can still throw Windows XP onto a PC and use it for basic tasks using older versions of software that are XP compatable. But the longer you stray away from support, the harder it is to find software.

I might be a little behind on this one but I mae a fresh installation a fortnight ago and everything went smoothly. Today, I had to set up a new system for another customer and the Microsoft noose has been tightened in the meantime.

There is no escaping a Microsoft Account now and they even want your date of birth.

When will this intrusion by big, greedy conglomerates who only want increasingly more personal information to sell to the analytic outfits?
[/RANT}

It was wired to the Net at the Net so it might have been down to me. I'll remember that the next time.

My customer this morning had bought a new PC because she's frightened of Windows 7 shutting down on her.

Now, in Tom's Guide there's a thread from Admin telling one can upgrade to 10 and that would have saved her even more money. I still have my doubts about his post but if it is possible, I may go for it myself.

USAFRet

Titan
It was wired to the Net at the Net so it might have been down to me. I'll remember that the next time.

My customer this morning had bought a new PC because she's frightened of Windows 7 shutting down on her.

Now, in Tom's Guide there's a thread from Admin telling one can upgrade to 10 and that would have saved her even more money. I still have my doubts about his post but if it is possible, I may go for it myself.
Yes, the free upgrade still works.
Today being the Day of Death fro Win 7, no telling how long that will actually last.

Status
Not open for further replies.