Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 73 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2020
Let me be clear: I hate Windows 10.

I've had a windows 10 desktop since mid 2015. There's always a problem. Always. The "newest, best updates" that are made "for your security" routinely brick up your PC and it takes months to get the issues fixed. Windows 10 has put me through more Hell than a Vegas marriage to a stripper. I've gone through 4 power supplies, 2 graphics cards, 3 hard drives, 2 motherboards, and 2 CPUs because of Windows 10. I'm currently working on restoring my internet connection because of a Windows 10 update. I wish they would just get a stable build going, then leave it ** alone.

I've had to do a completely clean install every year and the problems just keep on coming. This is the worst OS in the history of human development and I know in my soul it's going to get worse now that Windows 7 has been cast aside forever.

Last edited by a moderator:

sc2lines

Great
Dec 13, 2019
With all this technical knowledge, why is it still so difficult in Windows 10 to change the default font? I have never used the big Icons in the start menu. With privacy, such a concern, why is Windows 10 such an open book so that I have to go in and turn all it's monitoring me off? Microsoft insists on wanting me to Log on to an online profile when I LIKE my privacy? Instead of trying to find out how much ink I use and how often I use Edge instead of Chrome that energy and resources need to be channeled to shore up its vulnerabilities.

Last edited:
All those Privacy settings Microsoft set need to be reversed and has been in over two hundred Windows 10 installations I've done. Then I install Spybot Ante Beacon and set it to reimmunize them after MS has visited with updates.

Folks who don't do that and also leave MS Search and worse still, Contana, are asking for losing every ounce of private data to the market of whoever buys it. MS, Google, Apple and Amazon have microphones in the homes of Windows 10 users and their staff probably have a good time listening some of those conversations.

There will be posters who say this is a conspiracy theorist but before readers can find the truth if they search the Net.

Personally, i feel the "reccomended" Windows privacy settings preselected when setting up Windows are terrible.

With these settings Microsoft recieves ram dumps from your pc after crashes. These can include personal info, passwords, credit card info and more.

Given these settings are what is preselected, i bet many people use their PC like this and have no idea microsoft gets these ram dumps that can contain personal data.

My personal PC has that all disabled and using powershell all telemetry completely removed. Cortana is disabled. Start menu icons gone, i just use start menu for shutdown. No edge. No defender, malwarebytes instead.

Main reason i did this was actually for performance since i caught cortana and telemetry using ram and CPU when i didn't want them too.

logainofhades

Titan

I've had a windows 10 desktop since mid 2015. There's always a problem. Always. The "newest, best updates" that are made "for your security" routinely brick up your PC and it takes months to get the issues fixed. Windows 10 has put me through more Hell than a Vegas marriage to a stripper. I've gone through 4 power supplies, 2 graphics cards, 3 hard drives, 2 motherboards, and 2 CPUs because of Windows 10. I'm currently working on restoring my internet connection because of a Windows 10 update. I wish they would just get a stable build going, then leave it ** alone.

I've had to do a completely clean install every year and the problems just keep on coming. This is the worst OS in the history of human development and I know in my soul it's going to get worse now that Windows 7 has been cast aside forever.

There is no way Windows 10 is causing your hardware to die, especially the power supply.

Reactions: Dean0919

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I own 3 laptops 4 desktops and a server all running Win 10 flawlessly from day 1. I've installed it on probably 50 or so machines all of which had no problems.

Dare I say it, Its highly unlikely Windows 10 is the problem in your equation, and it certainly can't cause the hardware damage you describe.

Jan 9, 2020
I own 3 laptops 4 desktops and a server all running Win 10 flawlessly from day 1. I've installed it on probably 50 or so machines all of which had no problems.

Dare I say it, Its highly unlikely Windows 10 is the problem in your equation, and it certainly can't cause the hardware damage you describe.
The title of the thread is "Your Experience with Windows 10", so I typed up mine. It's funny; you're the second person that said Windows 10 can't, in any way, cause hardware failure, but I've had numerous problems that appeared during the update process or immediately after major Windows 10 updates which could only be cured by hardware replacement. I guess it's "never Windows 10", it's just your motherboard/power supply/hard drive/ram/cpu/gpu in any and all instances forever because Microsoft is flawless and never, ever puts out broken software ever. I think it's a bad, bugged OS that breaks more often than a toddler's favorite toy and I've had to put out over $1,000 in new parts to "fix" it. I put "fix" in quotes because Microsoft will dream up the next update that won't increase functionality one micrometer for me, force me to apply it, and then I'll have to replace my motherboard/power supply/hard drive/ram/cpu/gpu all over again. I'm glad all is well with your 55 computers; mine won't run right for longer than 30 days because of Windows 10.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The title of the thread is "Your Experience with Windows 10", so I typed up mine. It's funny; you're the second person that said Windows 10 can't, in any way, cause hardware failure, but I've had numerous problems that appeared during the update process or immediately after major Windows 10 updates which could only be cured by hardware replacement. I guess it's "never Windows 10", it's just your motherboard/power supply/hard drive/ram/cpu/gpu in any and all instances forever because Microsoft is flawless and never, ever puts out broken software ever. I think it's a bad, bugged OS that breaks more often than a toddler's favorite toy and I've had to put out over $1,000 in new parts to "fix" it. I put "fix" in quotes because Microsoft will dream up the next update that won't increase functionality one micrometer for me, force me to apply it, and then I'll have to replace my motherboard/power supply/hard drive/ram/cpu/gpu all over again. I'm glad all is well with your 55 computers; mine won't run right for longer than 30 days because of Windows 10.

From what I understand your system has no Windows 10 drivers available.

I am sorry for your experience with Windows 10, but your sample size of 1 does not indicate a fundamental problem with Windows.

You should consider Linux as mentioned for your older hardware, or upgrade to something more current.

Ralston18

Titan
@kristhelib

I am seeing another pattern outside of Windows....

With so many hardware problems I am curious about the electrical circuit providing power to your computer.

What voltage is present, is the circuit properly grounded, any other large load devices on the circuit, any interim devices such as power strips, surge protectors, etc.?

Another aspect is the location of your computer: is there plenty of surrounding space to allow for full and proper airflows needed for cooling? Overheating, even if in spec, can lead to a premature EOL (End of Life).

Those are the sorts of issues that will continuously destroy hardware - not the OS or the apps (excluding bitcoin miners perhaps) being run.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Ditto here. I've installed Windows 10 on literally 10's of thousands of desktops, laptops and servers for multiple companies and individuals with no issues whatsoever.

The odds of hardware failure like CPU and GPU are nil to none. The only cases I have ever seen is driver related. One time Nvidia released a driver that borked GPUs since it would not kick the fan in under high usage and caused GPUs to fry themselves. However Windows cannot do that, it depends on the drivers. Every GPU driver is a version from the manufactures, AMD and Nvidia. Even the main Intel drivers are from Intel. Most of the times they are old but they are tested and working drivers.

The PSU issue i absolutely not Windows. The OS in no way interacts with the PSU directly. Either the PSUs you have bought are poor quality or you have very poor quality power coming to the system causing the PSUs to die. Now a faulty PSU can fry hardware easily. I have seen PSUs take out entire systems..

I think you are correlating hardware failures with a new OS. While you may have legitimate OS issues with 10 the truth is that the hardware failures are most likely not related to it in any way whatsoever.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you go straight into10 from 8, 8.1 or a much earlier edition?

If he on 2nd motherboard and 2nd CPU, I wonder what his license is like as MS is lenient but thats enough to make them go.. stop, we need more money, I suspect 10 has been the only OS on current build and that alone could be half the problem he is having in his thread.

Linux is a good idea as unless he has an old win 7 installer and license, getting windows to work well will be a struggle. He could install win 7 and then upgrade it to 10, as WIn 10 would use the win 7 drivers until he needed a clean install, then the troubles start again.

Windows doesn't kill hardware, as pointed out. It often gets blamed though.

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
Microsoft should apply Fluent Design sooner. Windows 10 is ugly as hell. Inconsistent UI, too flat start menu, sharp squarish edges everywhere, neglected transparency and blur effects, etc.
Windows 7 is pretty 'cause her mother (Windows Vista) was pretty. Same goes for Office 2010 and 2007.
macOS is what regular users need. Not linux. On linux, you have to take care of many things. You are in charge of managing things you normally aren't on macOS or Windows. Linux is way less stable than Windows. Linux is not secure when you don't know what a repository is, which most novice users don't. They just expect simplicity and stability. Nothing more.
Windows File Explorer makes file management much more comfortable than linux alternatives. macOS's Finder is perfect in every ways. DirectX is still a fantastic API. And many more reasons...
I personally prefer either Windows 7 or macOS.

Last edited:
I hate Windows 10, specifically its security aspects. Almost everything I want to do is resisted by the OS.

I have been given a hand-me-down system with a Win 10 Pro 32-bit OS running on x64 hardware. Yesterday I tried to unpack a FreeBASIC installation into a newly created FreeBASIC subdirectory under "Program Files". Essentially all I needed to do was to extract the files from a 7z archive using 7Zip, and write them to the FreeBASIC subdirectory. Then I would launch fbc.exe. That's all, no installation, no registry changes.

However, 7Zip was unable to save the *.bat and *.exe files to the target directory (most likely due to some protection issue). Morever, when I examined the "Program Files\FreeBASIC" directory in Windows File Explorer, it appeared empty, even when I enabled hidden file viewing. However, when I r-clicked the folder and selected Properties, there were thousands of files reported. So I then opened a command prompt, but the following command line returned a zero file count.

• dir "Program Files\FreeBASIC" /s

So why was File Explorer reporting thousands of files in an empty directory? It turns out that unpacking the archive had somehow invoked "virtualisation". This would have caused the files to be unpacked to Users\myname\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\FreeBASIC. However, the VirtualStore subdirectory was not visible in File Explorer. So once again I dropped into the command prompt. It turned out that the VirtualStore directory had a system attribute, so I was able to see it, and all its files, with "dir /as /s".

The solution was to remove the VirtualStore directory via the command prompt, and disable virtualisation with a registry edit. Then I was able to unpack the 7z archive into the desired "Program Files\FreeBASIC" directory, including those stubborn .bat and .exe files.

firelighter487

Prominent
Aug 18, 2019
i don't mind it. the regular release always has issues for me, but i've had very good luck with the Insider Program builds, and that's what i use on all my computers. (this is not reccomended, it's beta software don't do that)... but the OS generally works well for me if i run Insider. the normal release is unstable for me...

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
I held on to Win 7 Pro until I had to move to an upgrade to take full advantage of other software and hardware.

I spent a good deal of time reading up on tweaking it, then the better part of over two weeks altering it. Now it for the most part looks and behaves like Win 7, only with much faster boot times. The biggest hurdle was accessing machines on my network without a Homegroup, but that is now resolved.

So I'm in the so far so good camp, but it took a lot of work getting it the way I have it. It looks nothing like Win 10 out of the box, which I absolutely hated. And that chick Cortana is gone for good it seems.

Besides all the bloatware that Microsoft adds into their installs, I enjoy Windows 10 more than I did with 8 and 8.1.

I had the chance to get the Insider Builds for the Beta of Windows 10 before it was launched. That was a neat experience and hopefully can do that again in the future with the next build.

Windows 7 was still the best.

Reactions: heyman1186
Status
Not open for further replies.