Your Experience with Windows 10

Page 74 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyb3rTech

Distinguished
May 21, 2015
All messed up like Windows updates issues, bloatware, slow startup on some system with the HDD, others etc that's the one is big problem then any windows series i've ever seen in my life

Windows 7 was the best ever because i remember that i did tips and tweaks, themes and more good times indeed

Windows 8/8.1 was really good and fast startup on any system with the HDD as well

Windows 10 updates are a right royal pain in the rear.

The old fix for getting round that would have been Linux but the Mint19 on the netbook I use at this time of the day wants to install updates on a daily basis.

Does anyone know somewhere else to go?

Endre

Reputable
Windows 10 updates are a right royal pain in the rear.

The old fix for getting round that would have been Linux but the Mint19 on the netbook I use at this time of the day wants to install updates on a daily basis.

Does anyone know somewhere else to go?

I, personally, have no issues with Windows updates.
First thing that I do after a clean install is updating that version until it says “You’re up to date”.
From that point on the only updates that I get are twice a month: every second tuesday.
That doesn’t bother me.

Reactions: Dean0919

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having zero issues with Windows 10. I personally think that Microsoft got imporved themselves a lot in these recent years and they perfected their Windows with Windows 10 being the best Windows we have seen so far. Start is very customizable and great. They are also doing their best to implement dark theme everywhere and we even got Windows explorer dark which is something I was complaining a lot until Microsoft finally released it. In general, customization in Windows 10 looks pretty good. You can even set your own color for mouse pointers and I'm saying nothing about colors for taskbar and other things... Windows updates also got imporved a lot. We no longer have issues where Windows is forcing itself to restart because of update or bugging you to restart it. You can set reminder when it can remind you and how and when it should do updates. I'm also having zero issues with their "bloatware". In fact, I'm using some of them and they seem pretty solid. For example, pre-installed "Mail" is very reliable, solid email client that supports multiple accounts. I have added there both my Microsoft and Google emails. Windows weather pre-installed app is also useful. I don't need to go on specific websites now. Only thing is needed to launch my start and check the weather there. Windows OneNote is best notepad app I ever seen. I don't need to mention a lot of features it has, just check yourself. Heck, it even supports password protection of your separate sections. Also, I need to mention lack of bugs and glitches unlike previous Windows versions. Windows 10 is also better optimized for SSDs. It automatically detects it. Something that previous versions didn't have. Task Manager is also more complex, showing us more details, even temperature of GPU and many other things. Storage is also improved and they added "Storage Sense" which is something new that we didn't have with previous versions. Windows 10 is also better suitable for gaming. It even has Gaming bar that lets you capture videos in games. They also made Windows reinstalling easier, by just resetting PC with one click in settings. Sign in option also got improved by a lot in Windows 10. Not only it got more secure, but also supports pin, where you can easily login with just PIN. Some interesting pre-installed features are "Your Phone", where you can link your phone with your PC and get not only SMS, but also notifications in your PC. I also like how they created their own Store like Google's Playstore, but for Windows. The only thing I don't like about it, is the simplicity of those apps, that seem more simplified and optimized for tablets (I usually like complex apps and softwares. For example instead of Microsoft's Grove Music player which is quite simple, I use more complex and probably the best music player - MusicBee and for videos I use Daum Pot Player). Also, I need to mention their browser Edge. They improved it a lot. So much, that I was seriously considering to switch from Google Chrome to Edge, however it still doesn't support one important feature for me (sync through multiple devices) yet! (coming soon). New Edge is no worse then any modern Browser. I also like "Feedback hub" in Windows, where you can give your feedback to Microsoft. I use it quite often to give them my feedback about suggestions, problems and etc...

I could talk a lot about advantages (over previous Windows versions) and my positive experiences of Windows 10... Overall, my point is that, in my opinion Microsoft along with their Windows got improved hugely in these recent years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Endre

Endre

Reputable
I'm having zero issues with Windows 10. I personally think that Microsoft got imporved themselves a lot in these recent years and they perfected their Windows with Windows 10 being the best Windows we have seen so far. Start is very customizable and great. They are also doing their best to implement dark theme everywhere and we even got Windows explorer dark which is something I was complaining a lot until Microsoft finally released it. In general, customization in Windows 10 looks pretty good. You can even set your own color for mouse pointers and I'm saying nothing about colors for taskbar and other things... Windows updates also got imporved a lot. We no longer have issues where Windows is forcing itself to restart because of update or bugging you to restart it. You can set reminder when it can remind you and how and when it should do updates. I'm also having zero issues with their "bloatware". In fact, I'm using some of them and they seem pretty solid. For example, pre-installed "Mail" is very reliable, solid email client that supports multiple accounts. I have added there both my Microsoft and Google emails. Windows weather pre-installed app is also useful. I don't need to go on specific websites now. Only thing is needed to launch my start and check the weather there. Windows OneNote is best notepad app I ever seen. I don't need to mention a lot of features it has, just check yourself. Heck, it even supports password protection of your separate sections. Also, I need to mention lack of bugs and glitches unlike previous Windows versions. Windows 10 is also better optimized for SSDs. It automatically detects it. Something that previous versions didn't have. Task Manager is also more complex, showing us more details, even temperature of GPU and many other things. Storage is also improved and they added "Storage Sense" which is something new that we didn't have with previous versions. Windows 10 is also better suitable for gaming. It even has Gaming bar that lets you capture videos in games. They also made Windows reinstalling easier, by just resetting PC with one click in settings. Sign in option also got improved by a lot in Windows 10. Not only it got more secure, but also supports pin, where you can easily login with just PIN. Some interesting pre-installed features are "Your Phone", where you can link your phone with your PC and get not only SMS, but also notifications in your PC. I also like how they created their own Store like Google's Playstore, but for Windows. The only thing I don't like about it, is the simplicity of those apps, that seem more simplified and optimized for tablets (I usually like complex apps and softwares. For example instead of Microsoft's Grove Music player which is quite simple, I use more complex and probably the best music player - MusicBee and for videos I use Daum Pot Player). Also, I need to mention their browser Edge. They improved it a lot. So much, that I was seriously considering to switch from Google Chrome to Edge, however it still doesn't support one important feature for me (sync through multiple devices) yet! (coming soon). New Edge is no worse then any modern Browser. I also like "Feedback hub" in Windows, where you can give your feedback to Microsoft. I use it quite often to give them my feedback about suggestions, problems and etc...

I could talk a lot about advantages (over previous Windows versions) and my positive experiences of Windows 10... Overall, my point is that, in my opinion Microsoft along with their Windows got improved hugely in these recent years.

Yeah! Windows has improved a lot.
Just like you, I use third party programs to play music and videos. A good thing from Microsoft would be an upgraded media player to support all audio and video formats: flac, alac, aif, mkv, etc.
But Windows is better than ever.

Reactions: Dean0919

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah! Windows has improved a lot.
Just like you, I use third party programs to play music and videos. A good thing from Microsoft would be an upgraded media player to support all audio and video formats: flac, alac, aif, mkv, etc.
But Windows is better than ever.
Yes, clearly Windows media players are very simple. Whole Microsoft apps seem very simplified with few options, probably to be optimized better for tablets. Even Skype desktop had more options than pre-built Skype app from Microsoft store. I really wish Microsoft would improve their apps in store, by adding more options. There's nothing wrong with more options, it only gives more choices for users. But yeah, Windows 10 is hands down best Windows :)

Reactions: Endre
I've got used to the niggly habits of Windows 10 but my main problem with it is Mozilla Thunderbird. It crashes daily and no reports come back in spite submitting one.

I know it's Windows because an identical setup of Thunderbird works perfectly in my Linux Mint 19.1 on an old Asus EeePC.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, clearly Windows media players are very simple. Whole Microsoft apps seem very simplified with few options, probably to be optimized better for tablets. Even Skype desktop had more options than pre-built Skype app from Microsoft store. I really wish Microsoft would improve their apps in store, by adding more options. There's nothing wrong with more options, it only gives more choices for users. But yeah, Windows 10 is hands down best Windows :)
And then MS gets slammed for bundling too much with the OS.
That is how we've ended up with the Windows 10 N version.

USAFRet

Titan
I thought the dreaded N thing applies only to the European Union on account of their legislation of GPDR, USAFRet. Do you have it in your country?
No we don't.
I probably should have said "That's why Windows 10 N exists".

And it wasn't due to GDPR, but rather MS forcing tools on users.
Remove the 'video player', and the user will have to go out and find his own, choosing what he wants.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows/9cfde2eb-011b-4227-91f5-00168a74525f

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
I've got used to the niggly habits of Windows 10 but my main problem with it is Mozilla Thunderbird. It crashes daily and no reports come back in spite submitting one.

I know it's Windows because an identical setup of Thunderbird works perfectly in my Linux Mint 19.1 on an old Asus EeePC.
I'm not using Thunderbird, so I don't know about this problem, but I googled and checked Thunderbird website and it's interface already looks old and outdated. Most likely problem is in Thunderbird and something that is outdated from their side that goes in conflict with Windows 10. So, it's better if Thunderbird team tries to update their soft than Windows team downgrades/removes some things to make it work with Thunderbird. Of course, it's my assumption and can't say it for sure, but probably that's the issue.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
And then MS gets slammed for bundling too much with the OS.
That is how we've ended up with the Windows 10 N version.
I don't understand why. If Microsoft would put more unnecessary things in Windows, that's a different thing, but what I'm only saying is that what essential things they have for Windows like players for example, they should put more options there and that's it. I'm not asking them to put few more players or other unnecessary things, all I'm suggesting them is to add more options in their already pre-built apps and I'm also suggesting devs on Microsoft store for their apps to do the same, because all these apps look very lite and castrated versions of full versions.

I use Thunderbird exclusively and have never encountered such crashes. Even when running (once in a while) development versions.

I don't understand why. If Microsoft would put more unnecessary things in Windows, that's a different thing, but what I'm only saying is that what essential things they have for Windows like players for example, they should put more options there and that's it. I'm not asking them to put few more players or other unnecessary things, all I'm suggesting them is to add more options in their already pre-built apps and I'm also suggesting devs on Microsoft store for their apps to do the same, because all these apps look very lite and castrated versions of full versions.
It's simple. MIcrosoft's philosophy is to make it "good enough" to get the job done. If the user wants more/better/fancier options then they can download/install a more fleshed out version. Even that got them shut down by the EU (thus the "N" version). If they went for the full monty you can be sure that the hammer would fall hard. Personally, I like it the way it is. If I have a temporary need that is satisfied by one of the built in functions then I don't have to search out, install, use once or twice, then uninstall a full suite. This suffices for the majority of users.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I've been liking Windows 10 overall. I think it should allow for more easily removing things that we might not use a lot, and maybe could be lighter weight, but, I can't really complain too much.

Until relatively recently. I can't even pinpoint exactly when. BUT - it seems, these days, like Microsoft is assuming that EVERY system running Windows 10 is going to have an SSD.

Exactly why does Windows 10 need to make SO MUCH access to the disk?

If I do a clean install, let all the updates happen, etc., it still seems like a fresh system with just Windows 10 on it does a lot of disk thrashing. Systems that worked fine with Windows 10 + HDD only now seem to be a royal pain. I noticed this at first with my dad's low RAM, low spec system. It was painful to use upon first login for a few minutes, and shutdown took a little while. I attributed that to only 4GB RAM. But, even systems running 8GB or 16GB of RAM are extremely sluggish.

I understand that upon a clean install, updates need to occur, and so forth. And I know I can at least PARTIALLY attribute it to my getting used to an SSD. But it's well beyond just that, it seems.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
I've been liking Windows 10 overall. I think it should allow for more easily removing things that we might not use a lot, and maybe could be lighter weight, but, I can't really complain too much.

Until relatively recently. I can't even pinpoint exactly when. BUT - it seems, these days, like Microsoft is assuming that EVERY system running Windows 10 is going to have an SSD.

Exactly why does Windows 10 need to make SO MUCH access to the disk?

If I do a clean install, let all the updates happen, etc., it still seems like a fresh system with just Windows 10 on it does a lot of disk thrashing. Systems that worked fine with Windows 10 + HDD only now seem to be a royal pain. I noticed this at first with my dad's low RAM, low spec system. It was painful to use upon first login for a few minutes, and shutdown took a little while. I attributed that to only 4GB RAM. But, even systems running 8GB or 16GB of RAM are extremely sluggish.

I understand that upon a clean install, updates need to occur, and so forth. And I know I can at least PARTIALLY attribute it to my getting used to an SSD. But it's well beyond just that, it seems.
Not every system, but majority of systems nowadays are having SSDs now. I don't know anyone around me who doesn't have SSD today and this will only increase more and more as time goes.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Not every system, but majority of systems nowadays are having SSDs now. I don't know anyone around me who doesn't have SSD today and this will only increase more and more as time goes.
True - it's more a matter of having some older systems that worked respectably with a HDD, but now no longer do so, even after a clean-install. It makes me wonder if Windows 10 is making more and more use of drive access, and why such use is even necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.