[SOLVED] Youtube spikes my CPU usage randomly

Matthew0

Reputable
Feb 21, 2016
I have an AMD FX-6300 six core, using Chrome. This issue is random, so nothing specifically to pin down.

Most of the time, I have no issues with Youtube, so I don't know where this stems from. When watching a random Youtube video, my CPU usage, according to task manager, will increase between 40% - 70%. Coretemp will show the temperature hang around 40c. This will be random. I'll be watching one video, no issues. I'll click on another video, and I'll hear my fans pick up speed. Bringing up task manager will show the cpu spike though one of the Chrome.exe tasks. If I pause the video, it lowers back to normal. If I go to another video, it'll either stay the same, or lower. I can close out Chrome, come back a minute later, open the same video, and the issue will be resolved. Or it won't. Again, completely random. The issue itself doesn't cause me any real problems, more of a minor annoyance, but I can't pinpoint as to why it's doing it in the first place.

This is just with Youtube. I've tried other video websites and have yet to see any changes.

Solution
temps will spike with clock speed increases on various cores, which might/will occur whenever the CPU is downloading/buffering more data every few seconds vice when a video is merely playing.....

In short, don't expect clock speeds and /or CPU usage to be constant while even watching Youtube videos...; ,y own 7700K's clock speeds shuffle between 1.0 GHz and 2.6 GHz within the first 20 seconds of watching a Youtube video, for instance...so, naturally, temps will vary semi-commensurately along with the clock speeds.
temps will spike with clock speed increases on various cores, which might/will occur whenever the CPU is downloading/buffering more data every few seconds vice when a video is merely playing.....

In short, don't expect clock speeds and /or CPU usage to be constant while even watching Youtube videos...; ,y own 7700K's clock speeds shuffle between 1.0 GHz and 2.6 GHz within the first 20 seconds of watching a Youtube video, for instance...so, naturally, temps will vary semi-commensurately along with the clock speeds.

Solution