[SOLVED] Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi freezing just after BIOS (With i9-9900k)

Jul 27, 2019
I recently purchased upgrades for my PC, including a new CPU, GPU, RAM, and motherboard. My specs are listed below.

Previous, working configuration:
  • Intel Core i7-6700k 4GHz
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  • ASUS Maximus VIII Hero ATX LGA1151
  • Samsung 850-EVO 500GB SSD
  • WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 GB/s 7200 RPM Hard Drive
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
  • Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
  • Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 RAM
  • (This configuration also worked with the new GPU and RAM installed, but not the new motherboard or CPU, the four of which are listed below.)

New, problematic configuration (New components marked with a *):
  • *Intel Core i9-9900k 3.6GHz
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  • *Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi LGA1151
  • Samsung 850-EVO 500GB SSD
  • WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 GB/s 7200 RPM Hard Drive
  • *EVGA GeForce RTX 2080ti 11GB
  • Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
  • *Crucial 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 RAM

I installed the motherboard last night, along with the other new components, and have been having issues getting past BIOS. I initially tried booting with Windows boot manager, since I already had Windows 10 installed on my SSD from my previous configuration. It was installed from a USB flash drive which I downloaded Windows onto from the Microsoft website (Windows 10 Install Media) and was later activated using a key that I purchased online. Saving and exiting the BIOS then brought me to a screen with the Aorus logo and the Windows loading animation. The animation spun around once and then froze on the next spin. After letting the computer sit like that for around 20 minutes, I decided to turn it off and try again, but nothing changed.

I then did some research on the issue, and read that it may have something to do with my old motherboard drivers (that are already installed on the SSD) interfering with the new motherboard. To avoid booting from the previous version of Windows with those drivers, I downloaded brand new install media from Microsoft for Windows 10 onto a brand new flash drive. Booting from this new flash drive changed only one thing: instead of the Aorus logo, a blue Windows logo appeared. The animation still freezes at about the same time, every time (within a one or two-second range).

Besides changing the boot priority, as described above, I've tried many different RAM configurations (I'm currently using only one of four sticks, though all of them seem to work based on these test changes as well as my previous PC configuration), changing which USB ports my mouse, keyboard, and Windows flash drive are in, using a different monitor, removing the GPU, updating the BIOS to both version F9 and version F10, and disabling CSM support. Secure Boot and Fast Boot are both disabled and have been the entire time.

So far, no matter what I do, I have the same result every time: a frozen screen with either the Aorus or Windows logo.
Ideally, I'm hoping for a solution that allows me to retain all of my files on both my SSD and HDD.

I'd really appreciate some help with this, as it's very frustrating. Thanks in advance.

Solution
I just built my pc with the same core parts.
Z390 Aorus Pro and i9 9900k.
I have exactly the same error as you and no idea what to do about this..
For me it actually worked fine just after installing it with default optimized bios settings. Then I went to turn on XMP and then it wouldn't boot again. Even after turning XMP back off it won't boot.
I called Gigabyte about the issue. After talking with two representatives, I was finally able to install BIOS version F10 (which for some reason failed when I did it alone a few days prior), which actually fixed the problem. Still not sure what (if anything) was done differently when I was on the phone, but it worked. Also not sure why the board shipped with F8, but all is well now. You...
Jul 30, 2019
For me it actually worked fine just after installing it with default optimized bios settings. Then I went to turn on XMP and then it wouldn't boot again. Even after turning XMP back off it won't boot.

Jul 27, 2019
I called Gigabyte about the issue. After talking with two representatives, I was finally able to install BIOS version F10 (which for some reason failed when I did it alone a few days prior), which actually fixed the problem. Still not sure what (if anything) was done differently when I was on the phone, but it worked. Also not sure why the board shipped with F8, but all is well now. You can get BIOS updates here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Solution